“An excellent hotel to relax”

Shangri-La's Rasa Sayang Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
“An excellent hotel to relax”
Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

We have spent 7 nights staying at the Rasa Wing of this excellent hotel.
Our room is spacious and the extensive grounds absorb large numbers of guests- so you can join fun by the swimming pool or find a quiet corner

Much more importantly, the staff are marvellous: friendly and efficient , always keen to help and always ready with a friendly greeting: you really feel like a guest, not a customer.

There are two pools : one with children: lots of energy! And one reserved to the Rasa Wing with a no children rule: the quiet place.

The spa is excellent, massages are first class.

There is a wide choice of restaurants: in terms of food and atmosphere. Relaxed outdoor, poolside or the Spice Market with a wide choice of food, all very good and a bustling family atmosphere. Or the Ferringhi Grill: more formal but still relaxed and the food is really excellent.

All in all, if you want to chill and be well looked after, this is a good place to be.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Barry F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (876)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2013

From the moment I arrived, I could not have been made more welcome. The staff were all wonderful and just so friendly and helpful! The grounds are simply stunning, with such a beautiful attention to detail. The pools were well maintained, as were the restaurant and communal areas.

I stayed in the Rasa wing, which is well worth the money and I would recommend strongly that you upgrade if you have the opportunity. The complimentary inclusions were lovely and I thoroughly enjoyed both the afternoon tea and the evening cocktails/nibbles. (My taste buds did get a bit of a shock when my mojito was made with dark rum, rather than white - however this was by no means a hanging offence and certainly not anything I would have raised complaint about.) The fabulous seabreeze I had the following day more than made up for it and they also do a very nice champagne. If you have the chance, make sure you also do the afternoon tea at least once - you won't regret it!

The food in all of the restaurants is wonderful. I have never been a breakfast person at all but the provisions available turned me to an enthusiastic convert immediately! There really is something for everyone from fresh, hot dishes cooked to order or wonderful fresh fruit, yoghurts, juices and pastries etc too if you prefer.

My suite was stunning and so spacious that I didn't know what to do with myself. The balconies are large and have both a large marble bath and daybed to take advantage of. The views of the grounds from the higher levels are particularly beautiful as you get the sea views, as well as the gardens. The a/c was fab and not as noisy as many I've encountered.

The resort itself is well situated as it is at the end of a very picturesque beach. Whilst swimming isn't really encouraged due to the jelly fish, many guests and locals do make use of the watersports and snorkelling. The sea in Penang isn't as clear or blue as Langkawi for example but this does not detract from what is arguably still one of the prettiest coastal areas you could hope to come across. There are a number of vendors providing watersports, should you chose to go and explore. (There is one located just between Rasa Sayang and Golden Sands.)

With Golden Sands being a sister resort to Rasa Sayang, you are entitled to make use of their grounds and dining. I highly recommend their outdoor buffet as the food is just delicious!

Penang as an area was admittedly a bit of a grower for me. By the time I left however, I had a huge fondness for Batu Feringgi and was reluctant to leave. The night market is tacky but still well worth a visit. The local banter is harmless and all part of the area's unassuming charm. Local spas and restaurants offer good value alternatives to the resort offerings if you fancy getting out and about. George Town is easily accessible, with taxis costing about £5. (Agree a fare first.) The local area is beautiful too, with so much greenery that you don't begrudge the odd downpour! (That said, during my 5 days at the resort, it only rained once and I was tucked up in bed.)

I could go on but ultimately, if you are going to stay in Penang then I would strongly recommend that you stay at Rasa Sayang. I was lucky enough to explore a number of the resorts whilst in the area and whilst all have their own individual style and appeal, Rasa Sayang was just in a league of its own.

Thank you to all the staff for making my stay such an enjoyable and memorable one.

Room Tip: The Garden wing is better suited to business travellers in my opinion. If your budget will stretch t...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Tarka1981
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We traveled to Rasa Sayang with our four-year-old, and I have to recommend the resort for its many family-friendly features and activities. It's a great place for expat families in the Asia/Pacific region to get away for a few days or week. The family room in the Garden Wing was spacious and comfortably furnished--if apparently subject to a little wear. Our view of the sea was over the tree tops and really good. The free form pool was loads of fun and beautifully shady. The activities desk was very helpful with canoe/kayak rentals and the little bay was a good place for kayaking--if you can stay out of the path of the parasailing boats. Swimming in the ocean might be a little harrowing at some times of the day, but we enjoyed making sand castles on the beach. The resort- share with Golden Sands gave us access to more pools and a water slide that my four-year-old loved. Between Rasa Sayang and Golden Sands is an indoor activity center for kids that has some amazing slides and climbing contraptions, and is a great place for rainy or intensely hot days. If you have little ones, be careful about the age mix in the activity center--sometimes older rough-housing pre-teens can make the place a little violent for the kindergarten set. The resort grounds are expansive so it was easy to find lounge chairs away from the crowd. I loved all the shade and the greenery! The gardens are superb--this is one of the most beautifully landscaped resorts I've ever stayed in. The head gardener even gives tours to garden enthusiasts. The guests are multi-national which makes the stay all the more interesting. The resort restaurants were really good, but we found that some nearby places (The Ship, and a huge Thai seafood palace) were also good value--and we could walk back to the resort on the beach. There were several interesting places to take kids in the area--the Butterfly Garden, the Spice Garden (don't miss the tree house cafe!). We were there over New Year's and the party was lavish, but not a place to take young children. Our reservation through the resort required payment for tickets to this party, but I would have preferred a more family-friendly alternative. The resort is big and a huge challenge to maintain--parts of the Garden Wing were not in pristine condition, and the maintenance staff needs to find ways to more effectively clean the balconies of the Garden Wing room. (More comfortable furniture on the GW room balconies would also be nice.) We travelled in peak season and paid peak season prices and that influenced our expectations, but I could imagine that at other times of the year that lower rates could make the more spacious rooms of this resort excellent value and also make it easier for the staff to keep up with maintenance issues that are more difficult to address when the resort is full and busy.

Room Tip: I can't recommend the standard rooms in the Garden Wing for families with children--look for a b...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Mamanabee
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We spent 8 nights at the Rasa Sayang Shangri-la Penang. As we travelled with our 3yo son and 7yo daughter we stayed in the Garden wing. It was a fabulous holiday, the location was beautiful, the service outstanding, professional and friendly. Not pretentious at all. The rooms were spacious, neat and fresh. We were on the 7th floor and had a beautiful view of the swimming-pool and the sea. The rooms were quiet at all times.
The breakfast met our children's picky requirements and the kiddies meals around the pool were delightful. Most of our days were spent around the lovely pool, the children also enjoyed the free snake show and the slip-and-slide at the Shangri-la Golden Sands Hotel next door. From the beach in front of the Shangri-la Rasa, we did paragliding and jet-skiing. Our children frequently took dips in the sea, and yes, the sea is murky and our son was stung by a jelly-fish. It was nothing to panic about and the next day he braved the waves again!
We spent most evenings we walking around in the night market. It starts at about 19h00 and is 4 minutes' walk from the hotel. There are several fresh fruit/juice stalls as well as some good restaurants with varied cuisine around the market.
We also took a small boat to Monkey beach one morning, and although the children enjoyed the spool fishing from the boat and the BBQ on the beach, we were disappointed to see how filthy Monkey beach was and therefor we would not recommend the outing.
We did a day-trip to Georgetown, this was educational and worthwhile.
We had our most memorable dinner of our trip at the Tree Monkey Restaurant at the Spice gardens. The restaurant has a lovely view over the sea, especially during sunset, and Thai food is delicious.
The weather during our stay was glorious with sunshine all day every day, just a rain shower on our first afternoon.
We all had a brilliant stay at this beautiful hotel!

3 Thank Jacquesheidi
Australia
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We spent 3 nights at rasa sayang shangri-la after Christmas 2012,four adults and two toddlers.
Overall we had a fantastic time and loved the hotel.

Location: at batu ferringhi, the northern most beach area of Penang. Outside the resort, there is a long night market and some good hawker centers at long beach. Otherwise there is not much to do around the area, unless you want to drive to Georgetown. Our aim was not to spend time outside the resort, but to use the facilities inside.

Hotel: I agree the rooms are slightly dated, but had a large LCD tv. Very clean though. Complimentary bottled water and fresh fruit daily. Bathroom huge with shower and bath. Shower head and water pressure fantastic. Air con strong. we stayed in the garden wing, not rasa sayang wing given we had two kids. We did book a garden room and did not pay for the beach views. We didn't care not having beach views, as we spent our time outdoors and having lots of trees and canopus made the view still enjoyable.

Surrounds: for a hotel that was fully booked, it did not feel cramped, and i guess that is from the sheer size of the place. Poolside didnot feel cramped, and lots of kids pools which our children loved. The resort has so many trees which allows for multiple large areas to relax, sun bake. They have an adventure zone area shared with golden sands hotel, which is an indoor area for kids to play. There is a beach, outside the hotel perimeter, where I don't think many guests used as the hotel surrounds are so good.

Staff: ultra friendly, courteous and helpful. Cannot fault. Friendly at restauarnts too. Given refreshment drinks on check in and as we we leaving early am on checkout, where we couldnt enjoy the buffet breakfast, we were given a breakfast box to take with us..nice thoughts by the hotel and it counts.

Food: we ate at spice market for breakfast, lunch, outdoor cafe near pool and ferringhi grill for dinner. Buffet breakfast included each morning with room. Lovely selection, gets busy after 9am, but always got a table straight away before this time. Love Asian hotel buffet breakfasts! For lunch, the food was quite good for hotel food, tried many of the Malaysia hawker food. Didn't enjoy the ice kachang or cendol though. The ferringhi grill for dinner was fantastic. The steaks we ordered were cooked to perfection and we were given a complimentary cake for one of our family members birthday. We found out this cake came from the rasa cafe deli and would love to try more of their bakery sweets next time. The grill is more expensive than typical food price in this area, but where else can you find a grill restaurant in the batu ferringhi area.

Overall: we loved it, the kids loved it, not the cheapest place to stay, and would definitely come again when kids as slightly older so they can enjoy more of the area. We picked this resort with the intention to fully enjoy the hotel facilities which we did.

4 Thank kingfisher
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Interesting reading previous reviews of this hotel, because I would agree with many of the previous negative comments.

Picked-up from Airport in an old Toyota (Tour) Van, sorry Shangri-La this is not what I expect. Please purchase some decent vehicles.

Furthermore, I travel the world regularly, please be informed we don't need or want a welcome drink of Nutmeg Juice. Take me to my room, check me in and leave me alone! I find this hotel behaviour very annoying.

Basically, the hotel is alright. The Garden wing was built in 1971 and it feels like a 70's hotel. We had 2 premier rooms in the newer Rasa Wing for my wife and I and 2 children aged 15 and 12. Please note they do not interconnect but there are connecting roms in other room categories for families.

Rooms are fine but are looking a little worn and tired. The rooms are simply in need of updating with modern conveniences like iPod connections, music docks etc. The outside baths are a nice idea, but as everyone can see you in the bath, what is the point? I've laid in private outdoor baths staring at the stars, on many an occasion enjoying the view, without someone enjoying the view of me!

Service is OK, not outstanding as has been written previously! It would seem that if you are a "bar frequenter" you get known more rapidly! I found difficulty finding anyone around the Rasa Wing reception! Previous comments regarding the availability of serving staff for a drink etc in the Lounge at the Rasa Wing, I would agree with.

One minor gripe I have, is that my 12 year old has to pay adult prices but is not allowed in the Rasa Wing pool (over 16 only). This is unfair, either you pay child prices to 16 or surely the hotel should allow guests the freedom to explore the whole resort? I understand the need for an adults-only area, but then you don't charge a child, an adult price!

Breakfast can be taken at the "morgue-like" Feriniggi Grill where choice is limited and you are stuck indoors. Or you have more choice in the chaotic Spice Market Cafe. But on the whole breakfast is good. Coffee however, as mentioned previously, is disgustingly awful.

The grounds are excellent with plenty of loungers etc and massages all day if required. The beach is coarse sand and the sea dirty and full of jellyfish. Furthermore, you'll be hounded by the beach activity hawkers, trying to sell you jet-ski rides or para-ascending trips.

We took Lunch everyday at the Pinang Grill which was very good and reasonably priced. I even had my feet trodden on by a 4 foot long water monitor lizard, so quite an experience!

We didn't go for afternoon tea and cocktails, as we like to stay out all day in the sunshine. I can have these in the UK anytime in the rain if I want! By all accounts, if you are in to that sort of thing, it's very pleasant.

Dining options are limited, but choice in the Restaruants is available and huge. Please note, there is not much in the immediate vicinity worth wandering out of the hotel for. We alternated between the Spice Market Cafe, both Buffet and al-a-carte and Pinang Grill, again with either BBQ or al-a-carte. We didn't eat at the Feriniggi Grill in the evening, as over the Christmas and New Year period the menu was a fixed 5 course menu, which we didn't fancy.

In all, a pleasant, relatively hassle free stay, certainly, I recharged my batteries ready for 2013.

Would I go back? No, because unfortunately, the resort lacks that certain "X-Factor". Langkawi and Thailand offer more in this part of the world.

Furthermore, Shangri-La need to be very careful that they do not dilute their quality brand name, with poor quality resort hotels. This is the third one I've stayed at (Oman and Abu Dhabi being the others) and I am concerned that this hotel fails to live up to the reputation of the Shangri-La high class quality brand?

Room Tip: Rasa Wing if want extras like afternoon tea, cocktails and adults only pool.
6 Thank HomeJames991
SL_Penang, General Manager at Shangri-La's Rasa Sayang Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear TripAdvisor Member,

Thank you for sharing your recent stay experience with us.

We are pleased to note that you had found the service level at the Pinang Bar, our lounge decks near the swimming pool, breakfast selections and easy availability of foot massage services up to your expectations.

Upon request, the resort is able to arrange for its appointed limousine service provider to pick up guests from the airport and vice-versa. Adjoining rooms for families too can be requested for during the booking process. Please inform us of your preferences and we will do our utmost to fulfil your wishes.

It is a standard practice at the resort to offer its signature welcome drink to guests. However if the guest wishes not to consume the beverage we will be glad to honour the guest’s wish.

We have taken note of your observation on the lack of visibility/availability of Reception staff at the Rasa Wing and Lounge. Staff members will be briefed on this matter and remedial measures implemented to avoid a repeat of this.

Please be informed that the warning signboard on jellyfish was placed to advise guests on the risks posed should they decide to swim in the sea. The jellyfish population rises and falls according to the season and changes to the water temperature. Also, the resort has its in-house watersports service provider. Its operators are licensed and experienced.

Admittedly some aspects of the resort décor harks back to the 1970s as it is the intention to retain some of the timeless resort living style back then for the enjoyment of our guests. As you’re well aware of the resort is inspired by traditional Asian architecture with touches of Asian traditional art with cultural antiques adorning its public spaces.

During Christmas and New Year, our resort and its neighbour, the Golden Sands offer set menus for all staying guests. The menu choices were carefully formulated so that our international guests are able to sample a balance of European timeless classics and fusion cuisine with an Asian touch. In addition, guests are given the choice of different restaurants within the resort to choose from as their lunch and dinner preferences. Occupancy rates are normally high at these times. Therefore, these set menus ensure that our staying guests are assured of value-for-money premium meals within the resort throughout the festive period.

A practical alternative for guests seeking culinary adventures is the exploration of numerous dining outlets available within walking distance ranging from local, Western, fusion and even Arabian cuisine. These outlets are more than willing to oblige walk-in diners while the more popular ones will advise that prior bookings be made to avoid disappointment during peak periods such as Christmas and New Year.

All in all we hope that your family had a pleasant trip while exploring the diverse attractions of in Penang and that you will consider returning at some point in future.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Yours sincerely,

Elaine Yue, General Manager
Shangri-La's Rasa Sayang Resort & Spa
Batu Feringgi Beach, 11100 Penang, Malaysia
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Stayed here at the end of November and had an amazing time. Brilliant location right on the beach. Loved watching the sun go down from the bar. We loved every minute of our holiday. The staff are wonderful. Nothing is too much trouble. Felt very spoilt laying by the pool and being offered cold towels to mop our brows and skewers filled with fresh fruit.
Food in restaurants brilliant with excellent choice. Rooms nice and clean and very well stocked. The fresh fruit each day was a really lovely idea. Also enjoyed the complimentary local newspapers.
Son had his 18th birthday and a stunning cake was placed in his room as a gift. We were really touched!
They do push for you to upgrade when you arrive. Which is quite unfair after such a long flight as it's the last thing you want to make decisions on arrival! We decided against it as we were more than satisfied with our rooms.
Spa totally amazing three of our party used this fantastic service. All gave it top marks. You MUST TREAT YOURSELF.!!!!!! I had a two hour facial(heaven) and the two men had massages. All very professional and such lovely staff. Put you at ease and very good at their jobs.
Night markets in easy walking distance as are many local restaurants.
Well worth staying here. Cleanliness to a high standard. Excellent customer service. Brilliant location. Pool area well designed. Restaurants and bars lovely.

Room Tip: Pool view highly recommended.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia
Bayview Beach Resort
Bayview Beach Resort
#7 of 11 in Batu Ferringhi

Been to Shangri-La's Rasa Sayang Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!