We stayed at the Golden Sands resort 21st September for 10 nights and I would highly recommend this hotel. When we arrived we were checked in quickly and efficiently, the staff were very polite and really friendly. My partner lost his wallet on our way back from Georgetown one night and they could not do enough to help us (cancelling cards etc)
The room was large, modern and were equipped with everything you could want, although the hairdryer was tricky to find (in a disguised drawer under the TV). The room and bathroom were clean and were cleaned and replenished (bottled water, tea, coffee, shower gel, etc) each day. The only thing was that our room was a twin and we expected a double. We didn’t complain about this but I think they would have changed our room if we had.
We had a hill facing room that looked out over the main street. As some other people have mentioned, you do get woken up at 6 o clock on a morning by the Call to Prayer. To be honest I think you would hear this no matter where you stayed in Batu Ferrenghi.
The breakfast is a busy affair but the staff try to organise by showing you to your seat. There is a large choice of food, ranging from curry and rice to pancakes and omelettes.
The hotel grounds are lovely and well maintained. There are two pools and there are plenty of sun beds. Towels are provided by the hotel at the poolside. There are security guards who stop any touts from entering the hotel grounds. As soon as you go onto the beach they will try to get you to go parasailing etc but once you say no they do not pester you.The beach would be a lovely beach if it weren’t for the water sports, horses and quad bikes. However, it is still clean but I wouldn’t recommend lying on there for fear of a parasail landing on top of you. There were warning about the jellyfish in the sea but again I don’t think I would swim in there due to the water sports.
I was a bit concerned about the weather before I came to Penang but although it rained every day it only really lasted 20 mins or so and then the sun came back out. It didn't stop us sunbathing or doing anything we wanted to do
The hotel is in an excellent location, just at the beginning of the night markets. There are plenty restaurants near the hotel and The Wooden Bar is opposite and to the left. I would highly recommend The Malaysian Kitchen (turn left out of the hotel and it’s on the opposite side of the road, not far from the Wooden bar). The beef rendang, lamb samosas and devils curry were absolutely beautiful. The Jewel of the North Indian restaurant is also very good (turn right out of hotel and it’s on the opposite side of the road). I would also highly recommend the food court which is about 5/10 min walk from the hotel. You can choose from several types of food and is really cheap approx £1-£2 for a main meal.
All in all, I would highly recommend this hotel, my parents are going to Penang this week and are staying here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La first commenced operations in October 1979. It has won numerous awards and recognition as a family- and kids-friendly resort. As such, it enjoys the reputation as the preferred resort among families on holiday. This 4-star resort on Batu Feringgi Beach is filled with facilities for dining, leisure and recreation that will surely keep any multi-generational family happily occupied. Adventure Zone, Shangri-La's unique family entertainment center With 387 guestrooms and suites that boast views of either the verdant hills or azure sea, the hotel caters to the needs of individuals, groups and families. Some room types even feature Murphy pull-down beds and connecting doors. Childcare services are available, allowing adults on holiday with their family to enjoy some private time away from their children. At the Kids' Club, which is based in the Adventure Zone's dry play park, children are kept entertained from morning until evening and provided with regular meals and break times. The Adventure Zone is the biggest indoor play park in Penang, offering a myriad of play structures, activity rooms and entertainment options. Here, children can enjoy video screenings and visits from the resort's mascots. At our mini water park, children and toddlers can interact safely, playing on the splash pad, which has a safe floor surface and includes many water features, such as showers and tipping buckets. In addition, they will enjoy racing down the water slides. Holidaymakers can stroll around the resort grounds, which feature extensive manicured gardens and landscaped open spaces. Guests can also enjoy sunbathing and lounging by the pool and in the garden area. The Cool Lounge serves as a transit area for incoming and outgoing guests, and is a cool space where guests may read, surf the Net and enjoy sandwiches and pastries alongside coffee, tea and fruit juice. At Garden Café and Sigi's Bar & Grill by the Beach, children below 12 years old that are accompanied by one paying adult can eat for free. In addition, an outdoor Jacuzzi in the garden and two swimming pools with water slides are available. The resort also boasts a par-3 golf course for those that enjoy golf. Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La well-equipped gymnasium awaits fitness enthusiasts. For those who wish to spend their time productively while on holiday, there are many daily activities, such as workout classes, cooking classes, craft making courses and visits to the George Town World Heritage Zone (by complimentary shuttle). The popular Batu Feringgi Night Bazaar beckons those who enjoy a stroll after dinner. Here, great bargains on apparel, novelty items, souvenirs and art can be found. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ctrip TA, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Travelocity, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Cheap Tickets and Evoline ltd so you can book your Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Sands Resort By Shangri-La Hotel Batu Ferringhi
- Golden Sands Batu Ferringhi
- Golden Sands Resort By Shangri-La Penang/Batu Ferringhi