This was our first trip to Malaysia and after 3 days shopping in KL we went on to the Golden Sands Resort for a relaxing 10 days, and I'm so glad we did. We were warmly greeted from the moment we stepped off the shuttle bus. We had booked a Deluxe Sea View room and it certainly was. Although they offered us a room on a higher floor (for an extra fee) we decided to stay on the 3rd floor and were more than happy. We had wonderful views of the pool, garden and sea so couldn't ask for more. Our room was well equipped and always kept spotlessly clean and well supplied with fresh linen every day. The TV/DVD system was a bonus as we could try out all those DVD's we bought at the Night Market! We also used the free internet connection without any problems. We also got a daily paper. The pools and grounds were immaculate and there were plenty of loungers to choose from with lots of shade provided by lovely trees. Although sometimes difficult to get drinks service, once we had established ourselves for the day it was no problem and the staff were always very friendly and courteous. Iefa and Sally on the Tour Desk were always helpful and smiling and happy to assist in any way. The resort was quiet during our stay but did get busy on the week-end but the standard of service didn't drop. We found breakfast a delight with lots of choices and really, if you couldn't find anything to eat you must be fussy. We mostly ate out at the Hawkers Market but also tried Olio's, Marios and the Jewel of the North (or Jewel of India) and all were great. The Hawkers Market is certainly an experience, busy every night, and really cheap. The Night Market is also fun, especially if you like bargaining. Overall our stay was extremely enjoyable with only a couple of small negatives:
The pool bar should be re-opened as it would provide more of a focal point and allow people to mingle there during the day (and night) whilst still being able to watch their kids in the pool. Also a good place for music at night and to relax with a drink.
Although there was a pianist in the Lobby Lounge, some nightly entertainment would be good as there was none outside the resort.
The daily activities and movies by the pool should be better advertised, perhaps with a daily newsletter put under the room doors or available in the lobby.
Just a few points, but some things we felt were worth mentioning. Certainly nothing that detracted from our visit and we look forward to returning next year.
Hi to all those we met especially Ray and Deb, Michelle and Rhys.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La first commenced operations in October 1979. It has won numerous awards and recognition as a family- and kids-friendly resort. As such, it enjoys the reputation as the preferred resort among families on holiday. This 4-star resort on Batu Feringgi Beach is filled with facilities for dining, leisure and recreation that will surely keep any multi-generational family happily occupied. Adventure Zone, Shangri-La's unique family entertainment center With 387 guestrooms and suites that boast views of either the verdant hills or azure sea, the hotel caters to the needs of individuals, groups and families. Some room types even feature Murphy pull-down beds and connecting doors. Childcare services are available, allowing adults on holiday with their family to enjoy some private time away from their children. At the Kids' Club, which is based in the Adventure Zone's dry play park, children are kept entertained from morning until evening and provided with regular meals and break times. The Adventure Zone is the biggest indoor play park in Penang, offering a myriad of play structures, activity rooms and entertainment options. Here, children can enjoy video screenings and visits from the resort's mascots. At our mini water park, children and toddlers can interact safely, playing on the splash pad, which has a safe floor surface and includes many water features, such as showers and tipping buckets. In addition, they will enjoy racing down the water slides. Holidaymakers can stroll around the resort grounds, which feature extensive manicured gardens and landscaped open spaces. Guests can also enjoy sunbathing and lounging by the pool and in the garden area. The Cool Lounge serves as a transit area for incoming and outgoing guests, and is a cool space where guests may read, surf the Net and enjoy sandwiches and pastries alongside coffee, tea and fruit juice. At Garden Café and Sigi's Bar & Grill by the Beach, children below 12 years old that are accompanied by one paying adult can eat for free. In addition, an outdoor Jacuzzi in the garden and two swimming pools with water slides are available. The resort also boasts a par-3 golf course for those that enjoy golf. Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La well-equipped gymnasium awaits fitness enthusiasts. For those who wish to spend their time productively while on holiday, there are many daily activities, such as workout classes, cooking classes, craft making courses and visits to the George Town World Heritage Zone (by complimentary shuttle). The popular Batu Feringgi Night Bazaar beckons those who enjoy a stroll after dinner. Here, great bargains on apparel, novelty items, souvenirs and art can be found. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Priceline, Booking.com, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Cancelon and HRS so you can book your Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Sands Resort By Shangri-La Hotel Batu Ferringhi
- Golden Sands Batu Ferringhi
- Golden Sands Resort By Shangri-La Penang/Batu Ferringhi