Stayed here for 3 nights before moving to Georgetown. Checkin/checkout at the cool lounge was slightly long but comfotable. We booked 3 hillview rooms, got 2 connecting ones and 1 about 5 rooms away on the same floor. Being on the 4th floor, the "hillview" was actually tree/ city views which was nice during the day, but can be noisy at night (traffic from main intersection) and early morning (prayer time from nearby mosque). Both the main room and bathroom were of decent size, and the bed/ pillows were comfortable.
Breakfast (included in room charge) was a massive buffet at the main cafe, where it could be chaotic at times as others have mentioned. We realised they also served breakfast at the beach side restaurant, so we went there for the next two mornings. It was a sightly smaller buffet spread but had a much more relaxing and pleasant environment. The food quality was ok in general. For lunch/ dinner we tried the a la carte menu from the main cafe, pool side cafe and room service. The prices were high compared to local restaurants nearby, but still resonable value in terms of quality and presentation (the Malaysian items are better than the western/ middle eastern ones).
The hotel is located on the main road where you can walk easily to the night market stalls and local restaurants. Taxis are available from the hotel front but it can take awhile during busy periods. We used the free shuttle to Gergetown once - advise to prebook in advance especially for a larger group.
There was plenty to do at the resort itself. We tried their free tai chi class in the morning, walke/ played at the beach (sunset was beautiful), took our kid to the playroom at the kids club, swam at the pools and relaxed at the cool zone/ library. The friendly and courteous staff made our stay even more enjoyable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La first commenced operations in October 1979. It has won numerous awards and recognition as a family- and kids-friendly resort. As such, it enjoys the reputation as the preferred resort among families on holiday. This 4-star resort on Batu Feringgi Beach is filled with facilities for dining, leisure and recreation that will surely keep any multi-generational family happily occupied. Adventure Zone, Shangri-La's unique family entertainment center With 387 guestrooms and suites that boast views of either the verdant hills or azure sea, the hotel caters to the needs of individuals, groups and families. Some room types even feature Murphy pull-down beds and connecting doors. Childcare services are available, allowing adults on holiday with their family to enjoy some private time away from their children. At the Kids' Club, which is based in the Adventure Zone's dry play park, children are kept entertained from morning until evening and provided with regular meals and break times. The Adventure Zone is the biggest indoor play park in Penang, offering a myriad of play structures, activity rooms and entertainment options. Here, children can enjoy video screenings and visits from the resort's mascots. At our mini water park, children and toddlers can interact safely, playing on the splash pad, which has a safe floor surface and includes many water features, such as showers and tipping buckets. In addition, they will enjoy racing down the water slides. Holidaymakers can stroll around the resort grounds, which feature extensive manicured gardens and landscaped open spaces. Guests can also enjoy sunbathing and lounging by the pool and in the garden area. The Cool Lounge serves as a transit area for incoming and outgoing guests, and is a cool space where guests may read, surf the Net and enjoy sandwiches and pastries alongside coffee, tea and fruit juice. At Garden Café and Sigi's Bar & Grill by the Beach, children below 12 years old that are accompanied by one paying adult can eat for free. In addition, an outdoor Jacuzzi in the garden and two swimming pools with water slides are available. The resort also boasts a par-3 golf course for those that enjoy golf. Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La well-equipped gymnasium awaits fitness enthusiasts. For those who wish to spend their time productively while on holiday, there are many daily activities, such as workout classes, cooking classes, craft making courses and visits to the George Town World Heritage Zone (by complimentary shuttle). The popular Batu Feringgi Night Bazaar beckons those who enjoy a stroll after dinner. Here, great bargains on apparel, novelty items, souvenirs and art can be found. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Travelocity, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and TripOnline SA so you can book your Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Sands Resort By Shangri-La Hotel Batu Ferringhi
- Golden Sands Batu Ferringhi
- Golden Sands Resort By Shangri-La Penang/Batu Ferringhi