“Great hotel for Kids”

Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
Reviewed January 25, 2014

About 1 hr drive from airport,this is gem of a hotel.The staff was nice .The room had a balcony and was nice.The bathroom was a bit untidy and old but it was ok.The view was great of swimming pool and the beach.The night market was worth a visit which is just outside the hotel.The kids adventure zone was fun as my son was not ready to get out of it!!!The pool is amazing both for kids and adults.Overall great experience

Room Tip: Do take rooms with a balcony.You will enjoy drinking a cup of coffee with the amazing view
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
SL_Penang, Colleague at Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Dear sumit627,

Thank you for your overall review of our resort. We are pleased that you and your family had a wonderful and memorable time staying with us.

We have taken note of your comments with regards to our room bathroom. Our housekeeping and maintenance team will have more constant checks to ensure that all guest room bathrooms remain pristine.

We look forward to your next stay with us.

Golden Sands Resort

Write a ReviewReviews (3,281)

Reviewed January 24, 2014

overall excellent for family with children, nice pool, good position, great room, good variety of breakfast, good staffs, price is not too expensive, room service good, plenty of activities to do, will come back again

Reviewed January 24, 2014

Upon check in as always I was asked to provide my Credit Card for the hotel to block a certain amount on my card. When I was handed my room key together with my Credit card, after check in, I proceeded to my room. After receiving a phone call from my bank that a block of RM2500 has been put on my card I immediately questioned the hotel why such a huge amount as my daily room rate was RM400 and I stayed for 5 nights. They blocked more than what my total bill would be for the duration of my stay. The hotel never informed or provided me with any detail before they happily swiped my card. The consequence of their action was that I have now over spend on my card even before my weekend started. I immediately requested the hotel to reverse the block as I wanted to use another credit card. Now, exactly one week later, this block has still not been taken of my card. I phoned the hotel today and they honestly could not care less about the fact that I have paid my account in full upon check out whilst they still have a full RM2500 block on my card. Truly disgusting hotel policy indeed. This leaves a very bad taste in my mouth, this after a lovely time at the resort.

Room Tip: Even room no's face the sea.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank WernerStyger

Dear WernerStyger,

Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor.

We are certainly disappointed to know that your overall pleasant stay was marred by this most unfortunate incident.

We have spoken to our Director of Rooms. She has contacted you today. We hope that this issue will be resolved soonest possible.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to our resort in the near future.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

Amazing one month stay Christmas/New Year 2013/2014 staff were as usual amazing and helpful, food and drinks excellent, fun games of volley ball and basket ball, amazing massages and loved the cocktails at Sigis every night. Thank you for another amazing stay, cannot wait to return in 2015!!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Dear Angela P,

Thank you so much for your lovely review of our resort.

We are pleased that you and your family had a marvellous stay with us. We too look forward to welcoming you back next year!

Reviewed January 24, 2014

This was our first trip to Penang and we stayed at the Golden Sands due to previous reviews, it was amazing. We had an Executive room on the 7th floor with total unrestricted views across the beautiful pools and out to the beach zone. We loved the room, staff and surroundings. The night markets are right at the door and plenty of cheap eateries around the hotel, but a!so the hotel food was also excellent and a good price. As per previous comments the water at the beach is milky due to the high rise and fall, but the water and sand is clean its great for an early morning or late evening beach stroll.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a ocean front executive room on high floors and big balcony's. There is also a great...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 24, 2014

One of my favourite hotels. My only complaint is not being able to get a sun bed because people get up before sun rise and throw a towel down to reserve it. There were three English couples who would pick up a stack of towels the previous evening and go down prior to 6 am to reserve the best position by the pool. One day they did not come down to use them till the afternoon. On every chair and sunshade there is a sign saying that if you leave your seat for more than an hour your belongings will be removed and placed at the pool side office- this is never enforced so is a joke.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Taffy801
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Loved every bit of it. The rooms were pleasant but next time I'd go for the rooms with the balcony as it over looks the whole resort and gives a nice view. Overall the atmosphere, service, facilities and location was great. Can't wait to go back!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Batu Ferringhi
#6 of 10 in Batu Ferringhi
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
#10 of 87 in George Town

Been to Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La? Share your experiences!