Staying at the Golden Sands was a decision that I was really proud of making. From the moment we reached, we found the place just breath taking and instantly got into the mood for our island holiday after the hustle and bustle of beautiful Kuala Lumpur. The front desk attendants were very helpful and offered us a room with a descendible wall bed for our 10 year old son free of charge. In minutes we were already in our room and our bags right away followed us even though the hotel was fully packed at the time of our stay.
Yes, you will read that the place is a bit old, and it is, but that did not affect the experience of our stay in any way. The rooms are adequately furnished, containing everything that you would need. Housekeeping are attentive and generous responding to all our requests of towels, shampoo and extra water bottles without hesitation.
Moving on to the facilities of the hotel, they are endless! Starting from the lavish breakfast that was included in our room rate and free for our son, the choices are endless with the live cooking stations and foods to satisfy all tastes and cultures. The pool area was beautiful and was constantly covered with the attention of life guards. The beach has endless activities going on from para-sailing, jet-skis, massages, facials, horseback riding; you name it, they have it all.
For people travelling with kids, trust me, this is the place for you. There are endless activities going on in the pool area from aerobics, water-polo and so on and there is a specific adventure-zone dedicated to the entertainment of kids with alternative activities on a daily basis.
Other than roaming through the night market every evening, buying souvenirs and dining in local restaurants that offered meals costing less than RM 10, we did not want to leave the hotel and waste a moment away from it. We surely will be visiting Penang again and would not want to stay in any other place. The Golden Sands is the place!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La first commenced operations in October 1979. It has won numerous awards and recognition as a family- and kids-friendly resort. As such, it enjoys the reputation as the preferred resort among families on holiday. This 4-star resort on Batu Feringgi Beach is filled with facilities for dining, leisure and recreation that will surely keep any multi-generational family happily occupied. Adventure Zone, Shangri-La's unique family entertainment center With 387 guestrooms and suites that boast views of either the verdant hills or azure sea, the hotel caters to the needs of individuals, groups and families. Some room types even feature Murphy pull-down beds and connecting doors. Childcare services are available, allowing adults on holiday with their family to enjoy some private time away from their children. At the Kids' Club, which is based in the Adventure Zone's dry play park, children are kept entertained from morning until evening and provided with regular meals and break times. The Adventure Zone is the biggest indoor play park in Penang, offering a myriad of play structures, activity rooms and entertainment options. Here, children can enjoy video screenings and visits from the resort's mascots. At our mini water park, children and toddlers can interact safely, playing on the splash pad, which has a safe floor surface and includes many water features, such as showers and tipping buckets. In addition, they will enjoy racing down the water slides. Holidaymakers can stroll around the resort grounds, which feature extensive manicured gardens and landscaped open spaces. Guests can also enjoy sunbathing and lounging by the pool and in the garden area. The Cool Lounge serves as a transit area for incoming and outgoing guests, and is a cool space where guests may read, surf the Net and enjoy sandwiches and pastries alongside coffee, tea and fruit juice. At Garden Café and Sigi's Bar & Grill by the Beach, children below 12 years old that are accompanied by one paying adult can eat for free. In addition, an outdoor Jacuzzi in the garden and two swimming pools with water slides are available. The resort also boasts a par-3 golf course for those that enjoy golf. Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La well-equipped gymnasium awaits fitness enthusiasts. For those who wish to spend their time productively while on holiday, there are many daily activities, such as workout classes, cooking classes, craft making courses and visits to the George Town World Heritage Zone (by complimentary shuttle). The popular Batu Feringgi Night Bazaar beckons those who enjoy a stroll after dinner. Here, great bargains on apparel, novelty items, souvenirs and art can be found. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ctrip TA, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Travelocity, Hotwire, Agoda, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Sands Resort By Shangri-La Hotel Batu Ferringhi
- Golden Sands Batu Ferringhi
- Golden Sands Resort By Shangri-La Penang/Batu Ferringhi