“Enjoyable stay”

Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia
“Enjoyable stay”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We were there before but it was a pleasant surprise after their renovation this time around, the room is spacious and comfortable. The staff as always are friendly and helpful. Complimentary shuttle service provided should one wants to go to the city. At night, the night market is literally at your doorstep. The food is good too!

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor room with ocean view, less noise.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Peggy T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (913)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Me and my family spent a week at the golden sands and now we all want to go back! We was greeted with a very warm welcome and the rooms are great. They are spacious and very modern. The food is lovely, we didn't eat there on a night but did have lunch and breakfast there - both was very nice and the best breakfasts i have ever had abroad at a hotel. The pools and grounds of the hotel were both big and it was beach front. They do water sports as well which is reasonably priced and fun, we went on the jet ski's twice. All the staff at the hotel are very friendly and helpful. A good place to go on the nights is just a short walk up the beach called bura bura. Very nice food and good atmosphere and you can ride a horse along the beach too which is cheap. Best hotel i have ever been to and i definitely want to go back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Molly P
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I cannot begin to say just how wonderful this hotel is. EVERYTHING about it was just perfect - the food, the service, housekeeping, ALL MEMBERS OF STAFF, and the bed was the most comfortable ive slept in - bearing in mind this was week 4 of travelling around the globe staying in a bajillion hotels. Plenty of eating places just outside the hotel if you don;t fancy dining in - and there's even a McD's and KFC for those who just home-comfort-fast-food. I will most certainly come back to this destination and in particular, this hotel!

Room Tip: ask for a room on the 7th floor - the view is wonderful and so is the sunset !
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank nadine7186338
Perth, Australia
Reviewed June 6, 2013

My husband and I just spent 5 nights at the Golden Sands and enjoyed every minute of it! We had an ocean facing room with a balcony and it was lovely being able to relax outside watching everything going on around the pool (a higher-backed chair would have been more comfortable!). I had read reviews about people saving chairs with towels and leaving them for hours but we didn't find that at all - there were always plenty of sun lounges available at all times of the day. We had breakfast in both the Garden restaurant in the hotel and also at Sigi's down by the beach and I'd go to Sigi's without hesitation every day if we could (it's not always open unfortunately) as the restaurant can get really crowded at peak times which isn't very pleasant - they try very hard and turn the tables around fast but they leave dirty, stained tablecloths on the tables and just put clean cutlery out. If I was the hotel, I'd either use nice, heavy duty paper ones that they can throw out after each use or put a clean tablecloth out as soon as the previous one has spillage. Nearly all the staff were wonderful (you always get the odd one!) and they couldn't do enough for us.
Our room and bathroom were very nice and we loved the big shower cubicle with recessed lighting, and the two little windows looking out to the bedroom. The sitting chair in the bedroom could be a little more plush - it became a little uncomfortable after a while. Everything in our room was clean and tidy and housekeeping did a great job each day.
We loved the complimentary, daily water bottles and used them all while out in that Penang heat! The grounds are really well maintained and very pleasant and just lovely to relax in.
I agree with previous reviews about the touts at the entrance to the beach - as soon as they see someone coming down the path from the hotel, at least a couple of them leap up ready to sell. We found that once we said "no thanks" quite firmly, they didn't bother us again, however, we did see them 'gently' pressuring the not so confident residents. Unfortunately, their hut is positioned right at the end of the hotel path so they can hassle everyone coming out.
My husband hired a Segway machine for 15 minutes and really enjoyed himself ... until he crashed it on a bend around the track and fell into the bushes!! He was wearing the compulsory helmet, knee and elbow pads but he was wearing scuffs on his feet and ended up badly grazing his right foot and breaking his little toe. They immediately cleaned it up and put band aids on the wounds, and my husband would definitely do it again! However, they should probably add closed-in shoes to their comprehensive list of safety requirements that you have to agree to and sign beforehand. So, a tip to anyone else considering using the Segway ... take some joggers or sand shoes!!
Overall, I would be more than happy to say here again! Great location with the Night Markets directly outside and some great places to eat all within walking distance. Try it ... you'll like it!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JoanneFromPerth
SL_Penang, Public Relations Manager at Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear JoeytheBowey:

Thank you for your candid account of your stay at our resort.

We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your overall stay. We will certain convey your appreciation to our staff.

We note with interest your comments and suggestions for further improvement.

Breakfast time can be rather busy during high occupancy. Our colleagues are briefed to clear cutlery and usher guests to tables in an efficient and orderly manner. We will certainly take into account your suggestions and we will brief our staff to place clean table linen once there is spillage.

We have also noted your suggestion for more plush chairs in the bedroom. Our Engineering team will look into this matter as part of our ongoing refurbishment project.

We are pleased to know that your husband enjoyed himself on our Segway rides. We empathise that he had a fall with minor injuries. Our Communications Department have taken into consideration your suggestion to add closed-in shoes to Segway's letter of indemnity and will convey the suggestion to our Segway operator.

We hope that all is well with you and that your husband is on his way to a speedy recovery. We all look forward to welcoming you back to the Golden Sands Resort soon.

Kind regards,

Golden Sands Resort
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We spent only two nights here on a short break from KL. We had a couple of initial hiccups on check-in, firstly shown to smoking rooms when we had booked non-smoking, and secondly one of our rooms had a leaky toilet. Both were remedied immediately. It was disappointing that these mistakes were made but we couldn't fault the staff who fixed issues very quickly after which we were very happy with our rooms.

We had two adjoining rooms - not huge but very nicely furnished and with a nice balcony overlooking the pool and with views to the sea. The beds were very comfortably and the room was fairly quiet despite the hotel being full.

The kids were more than happy with the pools - there were two, one shaded from the sun and with shallow beach areas as well as deep parts. There was also a water slide which they loved. It was good to see life guards in attendance the whole time the pool was open and they were very friendly but very attentive and quick to stop any unsafe pool behavior.

The buffet breakfast was fantastic and we couldn't fault it. We also tried one of the evening buffets (seafood and fish buffet( which was very good and excellent value for money).

All in all we had a lovely break and would recommend this hotel to families.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AlexW34
Dear Alex W,

Thank you so much for sharing your recent stay experience at our resort.

We have taken note of your comments regarding the level of service and the rooms.

Our Director of Rooms will investigate on your check-in experience. We are pleased that our colleagues were able to help to rectify the issues. However, we wish to minimize on such issues arising in the near future so our Director of Rooms will address these service issues with our Front Office team.

Our Engineering team has also been informed of your comments. We have a rotating engineering schedule to ensure that all our rooms and rest rooms are in tip top condition.

Thank you again for your time and we certainly look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Best regards,

Rasa Sayang Resort and Spa
Perth, Australia
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Firstly, let me say that this resort is very well catered for children. As I travelled with my 3 x 6 year old kids, we got a combo room deal in two garden view suites and I organised a room on a higher floor, so I didn't have to look over the parking lot or the hotel across the road. This was a good deal that accommodated all of us. The kids had two single beds and a cot to sleep in.

I was offered the "discounted" upgrade to a seaview suite, which was expensive and after inspecting the seaview suite provided to my Mother and Father-in-law who travelled with us, it was smaller than my garden view room. The only difference was the fact that they got a great view of the ocean and a balcony. As I am not a smoker, I wasn't bothered by not having a balcony or indeed a view.

The good:

- They run a free shuttle service to a sister property in Georgetown.
- 2 hours in the adventure zone was included as part of the combo room deal and my kids had a great time there. They loved the girls in the adventure zone and made friends with Ling Ling and Nita in particular. The girls should be commended for their attitude, helpfulness, friendliness and kind dispositions.
- The kids club is well run and again, the girls who run the kids club and the activities are great.
- The night market is right out the front of the hotel and we enjoyed chatting to the locals.
- Annie, who offers massage services around the pool is lovely.
- The housekeeping is great and they regularly tidied our rooms and turned down the beds. I think the housekeeper we had was called Neve and she was lovely.
- The pool is great for kids and they have a water-slide which my kids particularly loved. There is an adult pool also.
- The gardens are lovely.

The average
- The breakfast included as part of the room rate was adequate and had the usual selection of western and asian fare. There was a fresh egg station and the staff there were always happy to provide you what you wanted. The variety was OK, but nothing spectacular.
- The hotels driving services were expensive for day tours.
- The food offered at the hotel is expensive considering the number of options Penang has to offer.

The bad
- Small ants invaded both of my rooms and even though we got housekeeping to spray, the ants would still return. The fact that ants would crawl all over the bedside cabinets and headboards scared my children as there were literally hundreds of them. I didn't complain however as I am generally not one to upset or be difficult to hotel staff, when in hindsight, I probably should have done given the points I am about to make below.

- We had an incident over a towel which had some hair dye on it. The duty manager called us down to reception before we went to dinner at the hotels sigi's bar and grill to discuss it. We were asked to pay and sign for a cost of 100 RM for a replacement towel. My wife discovered that the towel had not been laundered, so requested that the hotel launder the towel first and that if we were paying 100rm for it, which is expensive for a towel, we want to keep it. My wife who is a hairdresser, also knew that the dye would come out if washed. This upset my wife immensely and she was unable to eat thereby ruining the dinner for my in laws, my kids and myself that we had paid for at the not so reasonably priced Sigi's.

Upon the hotel laundering the towel, I received a phonecall at 10:00pm and the duty manager informed us that the stains had disappeared (which my wife knew would happen) and that they would not charge us for the towel. This was a bit too late considering the upset it had caused my wife over dinner.

Why wasn't it normal practice for the hotel to launder the towel firstly to see if the stains would come out, before upsetting everyone and charging 100rm? It makes me wonder how many other people have been charged in the same manner and not questioned it.

- There was a charge on my bill that I had actually paid cash for. I remember signing a docket, then questioning the girl behind the counter if she had recorded that I'd paid cash as it was not to be charged to my room. When checking out from the hotel, I found that I had been charged the expense to my room, thereby meaning I was charged twice. As I was checking out of the hotel and my airport transport had arrived, I let the cost slide, but given the earlier upsets, I was not at all happy.

As my review title says, I really wanted to give this hotel a higher rating as the things it does right, like the kids activities, it gets spot on. I left the hotel however rather disappointed and seriously considering my accommodation options for my next potential trip to Penang in April 2014.

Room Tip: If a seaview doesn't matter, the higher floored garden view rooms have a great view of the mount...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank GeezerInOz
Dear GeezerinOz:

Thank you for taking your time to share your recent experience with us on TripAdvisor.

Could you please send an e-mail to us at communications.rsr@shangri-la.com in order that we can reply directly to you?

We are pleased to note that your younger family members enjoyed themselves at our resort. We will also convey your kind commendations to our frontline colleagues.

We have addressed your comments about our breakfast quality and variety to our Director of Food and Beverage.Our Restaurant Marketing Manager will also find ways to value-add to the dining experience for our in-house guests.

We also noted your comments about the day tour prices offered by the tour operator. All comments about the tour operator are welcomed and we will address guests' feedback with them separately.

We read your comments to our management team. Remedial steps will be taken to rectify the situations that you have highlighted. We do empathise that your family stay with us was below your expectations due to some issues encountered.

Our Director of Rooms will be investigating the towel issue with her team members. She will also check with our Finance Department to confirm the double charge you highlighted during your check-out at our resort.

Please be rest assured that measures will be taken to ensure that our staff are communicating with our guests using standardised, efficient procedures to ensure that service remains consistent and that guests are not approached beyond a standard time. Also, guest folios are to be checked thoroughly to ensure a smooth payment transaction during check-out.

Ants remain our main pest challenge given our tropical climate. Our Housekeeping team appoints a pest company expert to monitor our insect population and treatments are scheduled on a routine basis to check on pests. In future, we hope that you will inform our staff immediately upon discovering ants or other pests in your room. Our Housekeeping staff will be more than happy to assist..

All that being said, we want to ensure that your stay with us in April, 2014 will be a more pleasant one. We will revert to you once we receive your e-mail. We value you as our customer and we look forward to welcoming you back next year.

Best regards,

Rasa Sayang Resort and Spa
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights.
Room: comfy and tastefully decorated. Do request for a room facing the poolside. The view is great. Also, ice machine is available near the elevator area for each floors.

Pool: caters for all ages. The pool for toddlers is canopied, and there is a lifeguard on duty until the pool closes. So it's safe for the kids. Ample seats for relaxing by the pool.

Kids: adventure zone is a fun place for the kids to play in, and parents can relax while reading magazine. Do bring socks or it can be purchased at d registration counter.

Beach: lots of activities like jet skiing, paragliding and riding banana boat.

Hope to come back here again some day.

• Stayed May 2013
#6 of 11 in Batu Ferringhi
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
#11 of 84 in George Town

Been to Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La? Share your experiences!