We arrived tea-time on valentine's day, after the journey from hell----mainly due to a 7hr wait for transfer at Abu Dhabi airport. We both slept until 2pm on Friday, feeling as if we'd been punched, bored & countersunk.
We had a private transfer to the hotel from the airport--bliss.Mr Geoffrey (our driver) was charming & entertaining,& we were both planning to use him for our trips.( Hollow laughter).
On Saturday we wandered down through the pleasant gardens to the beach--intending to swim, but soon found out that that was not advisable due to a jellyfish invasion. No-one was swimming, so I opted for a head neck & back massage to get the travel kinks out. it cost the equivalent of £6 & was wonderful. We ambled out at dinner time to the Magic1 restaurant across the street--& that was when the 'flu kicked in!! on Sunday, Jim called the hotel doctor,who arrived promptly & gave me medication to deal with every single symptom. i stayed in the room (hillside view) I stayed in the room until Thurs, when my guilty conscience kicked in. Poor Jim had been dining alone, was worried about me & then he acquired a milder version of the bug. The young men who "did" the rooms were so patient with me because they couldn't do their job. We had a request from the head housekeeper to meet with him & expected a rollicking for non-compliance, but all he wanted was reassurance that i was getting better & was there anything he could do. The Manager & reception staff sent me a lovely "get well" card & a pot of my favourite Earl Grey tea. Without exception all the staff were charming,friendly, smiling in that completely unforced way that makes you want to smile in return.
Out of 14 day holiday I spent 12 days ill, but what little I experienced I loved
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La first commenced operations in October 1979. It has won numerous awards and recognition as a family- and kids-friendly resort. As such, it enjoys the reputation as the preferred resort among families on holiday. This 4-star resort on Batu Feringgi Beach is filled with facilities for dining, leisure and recreation that will surely keep any multi-generational family happily occupied. Adventure Zone, Shangri-La's unique family entertainment center With 387 guestrooms and suites that boast views of either the verdant hills or azure sea, the hotel caters to the needs of individuals, groups and families. Some room types even feature Murphy pull-down beds and connecting doors. Childcare services are available, allowing adults on holiday with their family to enjoy some private time away from their children. At the Kids' Club, which is based in the Adventure Zone's dry play park, children are kept entertained from morning until evening and provided with regular meals and break times. The Adventure Zone is the biggest indoor play park in Penang, offering a myriad of play structures, activity rooms and entertainment options. Here, children can enjoy video screenings and visits from the resort's mascots. At our mini water park, children and toddlers can interact safely, playing on the splash pad, which has a safe floor surface and includes many water features, such as showers and tipping buckets. In addition, they will enjoy racing down the water slides. Holidaymakers can stroll around the resort grounds, which feature extensive manicured gardens and landscaped open spaces. Guests can also enjoy sunbathing and lounging by the pool and in the garden area. The Cool Lounge serves as a transit area for incoming and outgoing guests, and is a cool space where guests may read, surf the Net and enjoy sandwiches and pastries alongside coffee, tea and fruit juice. At Garden Café and Sigi's Bar & Grill by the Beach, children below 12 years old that are accompanied by one paying adult can eat for free. In addition, an outdoor Jacuzzi in the garden and two swimming pools with water slides are available. The resort also boasts a par-3 golf course for those that enjoy golf. Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La well-equipped gymnasium awaits fitness enthusiasts. For those who wish to spend their time productively while on holiday, there are many daily activities, such as workout classes, cooking classes, craft making courses and visits to the George Town World Heritage Zone (by complimentary shuttle). The popular Batu Feringgi Night Bazaar beckons those who enjoy a stroll after dinner. Here, great bargains on apparel, novelty items, souvenirs and art can be found. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Orbitz, Travelocity, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Priceline and HRS so you can book your Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Sands Resort By Shangri-La Hotel Batu Ferringhi
- Golden Sands Batu Ferringhi
- Golden Sands Resort By Shangri-La Penang/Batu Ferringhi