Love this hotel and have been there 6 times the last being feb this year. The hotel has been updated since we were there 5 years ago now having a cool lounge with computers and library if you fancy 'chill' time. Now free wi fi and this works in the hotel grounds too. The strip had changed since we were last there and there is building work going on so in a few years time guess the area be totally different. The staff are lovely and nothing too much trouble. We had a sea view room which gives great views out to sea especially great to watch the lightening out at sea. We were there over Chinese new year and the hotel was busier for about 4 or 5 days. Recommendations for eating: out of the front of the hotel across the road to your left is a bug building with a bank on the ground floor. On the second floor is a restaurant called Andrew's - he used to be on the main strip road. Excellent food. Does al la carte but also an all you can eat buffet for 24 ringgits. It's not a buffet as such you choose off the menu and you can have as many dishes as you want. We used to have small amounts of 6 different starters and usually 4 mains plus rice, veg etc and ice cream for less than £6 each. His sister has a little place for lunch. Out of the hotel gardens at the back turn left then first left up a little walkway. You can eat there at lunchtime for about £3 each and she also makes sandwiches which we had to ake away. Don't order anything bigger than small for one person as small consists of 4 slices of bread all for just over £1.
All in all a brill hol again and will deinately be back
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La first commenced operations in October 1979. It has won numerous awards and recognition as a family- and kids-friendly resort. As such, it enjoys the reputation as the preferred resort among families on holiday. This 4-star resort on Batu Feringgi Beach is filled with facilities for dining, leisure and recreation that will surely keep any multi-generational family happily occupied. Adventure Zone, Shangri-La's unique family entertainment center With 387 guestrooms and suites that boast views of either the verdant hills or azure sea, the hotel caters to the needs of individuals, groups and families. Some room types even feature Murphy pull-down beds and connecting doors. Childcare services are available, allowing adults on holiday with their family to enjoy some private time away from their children. At the Kids' Club, which is based in the Adventure Zone's dry play park, children are kept entertained from morning until evening and provided with regular meals and break times. The Adventure Zone is the biggest indoor play park in Penang, offering a myriad of play structures, activity rooms and entertainment options. Here, children can enjoy video screenings and visits from the resort's mascots. At our mini water park, children and toddlers can interact safely, playing on the splash pad, which has a safe floor surface and includes many water features, such as showers and tipping buckets. In addition, they will enjoy racing down the water slides. Holidaymakers can stroll around the resort grounds, which feature extensive manicured gardens and landscaped open spaces. Guests can also enjoy sunbathing and lounging by the pool and in the garden area. The Cool Lounge serves as a transit area for incoming and outgoing guests, and is a cool space where guests may read, surf the Net and enjoy sandwiches and pastries alongside coffee, tea and fruit juice. At Garden Café and Sigi's Bar & Grill by the Beach, children below 12 years old that are accompanied by one paying adult can eat for free. In addition, an outdoor Jacuzzi in the garden and two swimming pools with water slides are available. The resort also boasts a par-3 golf course for those that enjoy golf. Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La well-equipped gymnasium awaits fitness enthusiasts. For those who wish to spend their time productively while on holiday, there are many daily activities, such as workout classes, cooking classes, craft making courses and visits to the George Town World Heritage Zone (by complimentary shuttle). The popular Batu Feringgi Night Bazaar beckons those who enjoy a stroll after dinner. Here, great bargains on apparel, novelty items, souvenirs and art can be found. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Expedia, HotelTravel.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Ctrip TA, Travelocity, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Priceline, Jetsetter and Hotwire so you can book your Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Sands Resort By Shangri-La Hotel Batu Ferringhi
- Golden Sands Batu Ferringhi
- Golden Sands Resort By Shangri-La Penang/Batu Ferringhi