Stayed here from Dec 21 to Dec 27 and enjoyed what was close to a perfect family holiday.
We arrived with two small children (4.5/1.5) and stayed in Hillview room with both baby cot and roll-away bed. The bed was an oversight but we didn't complain and were not charged.
Pool - Two large pools (one with dedicated kid's area) and one water slide pool. Something for everyone. The vast majority of our time was spent with the kids in this area. NOTE: some people are "dressed" in the pool, but this is a cultural/religious thing. Not sure why some other reviewers had a problem with this. Can't say I even gave it a second thought.
Food - two restaurants with basic but more than adequate menus. prices are very reasonable for a Shangri-la in Asia. Enjoyed sitting by the sea eating lunch. Breakfast was very busy but never had problem getting table. We were re-directed to beach restaurant on our first day as Garden restaurant was so busy, although to be honest that was the better breakfast experience.
Staff - faultless. Loved the amount of hospitality that was on display. Special mention to the ladies running the kids club. My son loved it so much he wants to leave HK and go to school at Golden Sands! The Cool Lounge is also a good innovation.
Rooms - nothing amazing, but nothing terrible either. And we didn't book here to spend too much time in the room.
Local area - on the first night we went for a walk and it was all a but meh. Local streets are not good for children in buggies. Road outside hotel can be a bit hairy. Really isn't much to explore. Some laundry services if you prefer to hotel laundry (which is just two machines). HOWEVER, the nearby Hawker centre (turn right at hotel exit and walk for 5 mins) was superb. One of hotel high points was the evening of Christmas Day eating BBQ fish and stay.
Beach - as others note, the beach runs into the hotel grounds (although there is a clear (and guarded) line of demarcation. Beach is not bad but sea is not exactly alluring. Many, many touts but not aggressive at all. Hardly spent any time on beach, apart for an afternoon stroll. Kids too busy in slide pool.
George Town - hotel provides shuttle bus but last bus back from GT was 5.30 so not the most convenient. Plenty of taxis in GT though.
Finally, much of this trip for us was about the children. Should say, if my wife and I were here with no children, we may well have gone crazy. I hear the other Shangri-La up the road is much quieter and so a better option for couples/single travellers.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La first commenced operations in October 1979. It has won numerous awards and recognition as a family- and kids-friendly resort. As such, it enjoys the reputation as the preferred resort among families on holiday. This 4-star resort on Batu Feringgi Beach is filled with facilities for dining, leisure and recreation that will surely keep any multi-generational family happily occupied. Adventure Zone, Shangri-La's unique family entertainment center With 387 guestrooms and suites that boast views of either the verdant hills or azure sea, the hotel caters to the needs of individuals, groups and families. Some room types even feature Murphy pull-down beds and connecting doors. Childcare services are available, allowing adults on holiday with their family to enjoy some private time away from their children. At the Kids' Club, which is based in the Adventure Zone's dry play park, children are kept entertained from morning until evening and provided with regular meals and break times. The Adventure Zone is the biggest indoor play park in Penang, offering a myriad of play structures, activity rooms and entertainment options. Here, children can enjoy video screenings and visits from the resort's mascots. At our mini water park, children and toddlers can interact safely, playing on the splash pad, which has a safe floor surface and includes many water features, such as showers and tipping buckets. In addition, they will enjoy racing down the water slides. Holidaymakers can stroll around the resort grounds, which feature extensive manicured gardens and landscaped open spaces. Guests can also enjoy sunbathing and lounging by the pool and in the garden area. The Cool Lounge serves as a transit area for incoming and outgoing guests, and is a cool space where guests may read, surf the Net and enjoy sandwiches and pastries alongside coffee, tea and fruit juice. At Garden Café and Sigi's Bar & Grill by the Beach, children below 12 years old that are accompanied by one paying adult can eat for free. In addition, an outdoor Jacuzzi in the garden and two swimming pools with water slides are available. The resort also boasts a par-3 golf course for those that enjoy golf. Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La well-equipped gymnasium awaits fitness enthusiasts. For those who wish to spend their time productively while on holiday, there are many daily activities, such as workout classes, cooking classes, craft making courses and visits to the George Town World Heritage Zone (by complimentary shuttle). The popular Batu Feringgi Night Bazaar beckons those who enjoy a stroll after dinner. Here, great bargains on apparel, novelty items, souvenirs and art can be found. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Travelocity, Priceline, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Cancelon and HRS so you can book your Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Sands Resort By Shangri-La Hotel Batu Ferringhi
- Golden Sands Batu Ferringhi
- Golden Sands Resort By Shangri-La Penang/Batu Ferringhi