A nice holiday which is great for families. I would say that it is not of the same luxe standard of the other Shangri-La hotels, but I think that is intended, as it is meant to be more casual and relaxed, more for kids. The hotel had given away our rooms as we were a bit late, but they then offered to upgrade us to a suite for the same price as our original rooms. I cannot fault the reception service, the staff were excellent. Our suite was nice, clean and well appointed.
You will love the pools, the outside areas, the lush scenery, it is all lovely. My kids adored it, there was a water slide and a baby pool with awning providing shade.
The children loved the food at the hotel, it wasn't fussy and there was plenty of choice. Mostly Western fare. I personally thought that the food was okay, but not outstanding. Go to the sister hotel, Rasa Sayang, next door for more special food. But you will find plenty of local places, just a stone throw from the hotel, selling excellent food at really good prices, especially the seafood.
The beach was okay, clean white sand and plenty of watersports. The children adored it. The water was rather smelly and dirty but plenty of people were paddling so I guess it was just me being fussy.
My kids also adored the Adventure Zone and the activities. I wish that the management had included more kids' stuff for free - they tell you that you can do all the activities for free, but you have to pay an entry fee. So it is not really free at all! Nearly all the other hotels we've been to do include at least a portion of activities inclusive in the hotel price.
I wish the management would make the lobby bar and cool lounge a bit more inviting. We tried to get early evening drinks and there didn't seem to be anyone serving, no menus, no obvious bar area. So. I went to the cafe and asked for drinks.
But these are minor quibbles, we really enjoyed ourselves exploring Penang and would go there again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La first commenced operations in October 1979. It has won numerous awards and recognition as a family- and kids-friendly resort. As such, it enjoys the reputation as the preferred resort among families on holiday. This 4-star resort on Batu Feringgi Beach is filled with facilities for dining, leisure and recreation that will surely keep any multi-generational family happily occupied. Adventure Zone, Shangri-La's unique family entertainment center With 387 guestrooms and suites that boast views of either the verdant hills or azure sea, the hotel caters to the needs of individuals, groups and families. Some room types even feature Murphy pull-down beds and connecting doors. Childcare services are available, allowing adults on holiday with their family to enjoy some private time away from their children. At the Kids' Club, which is based in the Adventure Zone's dry play park, children are kept entertained from morning until evening and provided with regular meals and break times. The Adventure Zone is the biggest indoor play park in Penang, offering a myriad of play structures, activity rooms and entertainment options. Here, children can enjoy video screenings and visits from the resort's mascots. At our mini water park, children and toddlers can interact safely, playing on the splash pad, which has a safe floor surface and includes many water features, such as showers and tipping buckets. In addition, they will enjoy racing down the water slides. Holidaymakers can stroll around the resort grounds, which feature extensive manicured gardens and landscaped open spaces. Guests can also enjoy sunbathing and lounging by the pool and in the garden area. The Cool Lounge serves as a transit area for incoming and outgoing guests, and is a cool space where guests may read, surf the Net and enjoy sandwiches and pastries alongside coffee, tea and fruit juice. At Garden Café and Sigi's Bar & Grill by the Beach, children below 12 years old that are accompanied by one paying adult can eat for free. In addition, an outdoor Jacuzzi in the garden and two swimming pools with water slides are available. The resort also boasts a par-3 golf course for those that enjoy golf. Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La well-equipped gymnasium awaits fitness enthusiasts. For those who wish to spend their time productively while on holiday, there are many daily activities, such as workout classes, cooking classes, craft making courses and visits to the George Town World Heritage Zone (by complimentary shuttle). The popular Batu Feringgi Night Bazaar beckons those who enjoy a stroll after dinner. Here, great bargains on apparel, novelty items, souvenirs and art can be found. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Odigeo, Agoda, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Expedia, HotelTravel.com, Ctrip TA, Jetsetter and Hotwire so you can book your Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Sands Resort By Shangri-La Hotel Batu Ferringhi
- Golden Sands Batu Ferringhi
- Golden Sands Resort By Shangri-La Penang/Batu Ferringhi