“Home away from home”

Shalini's Guest House
Ranked #11 of 30 Batu Ferringhi B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 1, 2014

I absolutely loved my stay at this very homey guesthouse. The place is right by the beach, I just had to wake up and go in the water. A great room with ac that I never had to use and I could hear the waves crushing down at night.... I met tons of interesting folks and engaged in some interesting conversations. Ashok, the owner of the guesthouse was a true gem! He even gave me a mat so I could lay down at the beach.i am planning in retuning there.

Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Monicella
There are newer reviews for Shalini's Guest House

Reviewed September 23, 2013

We enjoyed a wonderful week stay at Ashok's guest house last week situated on Feringghi Beach, Penang. We had a front facing room with a private bathroom and air conditioned. On leaving the room we had use of a shared balcony which looked straight over the paradise beach. The guesthouse is also the family home of Ashok who resides there so it really is like living with a local. He could not have been more helpful ensuring laundry was done for us and anything else we needed help with such as hiring a car was arranged hassle free. We cannot recommend Shalini's more for a comfy, clean and amazingly priced guest house in the most stunning location. We look forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: Front facing rooms are better, some noise early morning from local mosque prayers situated at rear.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank maxclass1
Reviewed February 1, 2013

This is a safe well run guesthouse in a good position. Range of rooms, some ensuite . Rooms are basic but very clean . I will definitely return . The manager -Ashok speaks excellent English . There are nearby eateries and each is across the road

Room Tip: Front two upstairs rooms have ocean view
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank helenc54
Reviewed August 28, 2012

My experience at Shalini's Guest House was not one of the best during my stay in Malaysia. Even though the room itself was good and we could keep our belongings there long after the check-out, the owner herself was not a very warm person. I liked the fact, that we were provided with free, cold, potable water, clean rooms and toilets, but I did not really enjoy that night because of not-very-comfortable beds and mosque, which was quite loud. Still, worth its price and distance to the beach! :)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Matraquer
Reviewed August 15, 2012

A nice, clean guest house with comfortable rooms, newly built as the old one was burnt down. Shared bathrooms are very clean, and there is a small kitchen downstairs for guests to use, with a hot water dispenser and toaster.
Upstairs is a small balcony with a view right onto the beach, walk outside and you're on the beach in 2 seconds.
There is wifi, you have to pay 5RM for the password which I thought was a bit tight, especially as we were staying for a few days.
There is a mosque very close to the guesthouse from which we heard very loud prayers every morning around 4.30, for an hour or so, then again around 7am, so you won't getan uninterrupted sleep.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 25, 2012

This was definitely the worst night of one month in Malaysia. The rooms are clean but the bed is horrible with iron steels coming out of the mattress everywhere. There was one very small sheet which was barely enough for one person, especially with the aircon blowing right at your head. The rooms are very noisy and there's a mosque singing half of the night. We slept maybe three hours and got a cold. Definetely the worst night ever!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jussie87
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I have stayed here several times and will continue to do so as its a safe clean family run establishment and thats how I like them. Simple down home quaintness that brings you back time and time again. It becomes your home away from home. I have meet many guests there that are also regulars so thats always a good sign of a well run business. the last ime I visited was in 2008 and I took an elderly lady from England whom I had met while travelling on the train from Bangkok to Butterworth and she absolutely adored the place so much she stayed on when I left.

Room Tip: Enjoy your breakfast on the upstairs veranda over looking the beach.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo