“Best kept secret spot for Aussie Summer School Holidays”

Hard Rock Hotel Penang
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
Reviewed January 19, 2011

This is our third trip to Penang, but we have not been here since we had kids. My wife and I have now returned with our 15 & 12 years sons. We chose the Hard Rock Hotel, Penang, as it sounded like a fun place to stay and although perhaps a little bit further out, it was reasonably priced.

Well were currently here, loving every minute of it. So much so that I thought I'd write a review right now before I left.

From the moment you step foot into the Hotel you are hit with a rockin' fun music vide. A welcome drink upon reception to cool you off and then off to your very cool hotel room. We arranged for adjoining sea side rooms and unlike other Hotels we have stayed in, we got everything we requested without a hitch. The rooms are modern, fresh and clean. You have free Wi-Fi and the latest electronic TV / DVD / lighting.

The facilities are great with planned activities for young and old all throughout the day. The enormous pool with water slides is, as far as my sons are concerned, the best feature. The breakfasts are everything you'd expect from a top quality hotel and other than in your room you have rock & roll music playing everywhere you go, Now I have seen other reviews complaining about the loud rock music, but I can tell you they are whingers. This is the Hard Rock Hotel for Pete's sake. The music in public areas is great and not loud at all.

As for this Hotel being too far out of things, we'll we haven’t found this an issue. There is a great convenience store and bus stop straight out front. Catch the 101 (modern buses) down to the night markets for RM 1.40, (or 10 - 15 minute walk) or go on the bus for department store shopping in George Town for RM 2.70. This location is just great, if you use your head and research options on getting around.

The most amazing thing is that the Hotel is rather quiet. It seems like mainly people in the know are staying here. The weather has been warm days and pleasant nights with virtually no rain. So don't be put off by the fact Malaysia is in Monsoon season as Penang is in the north.

I only have another day here, but we will definitely be back and I'll probably kick myself for giving away one of the best January Holiday spots going. Thanks very much Hard Rock Penang and have a rockin' day.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (5,072)

Reviewed January 17, 2011

Just got back an hour ago from Penang where I stayed at Hard Rock Hotel for 2 nights. It's a fantastic hotel with great staff, great food and great pool and free wifi which was always useful and good signal!! Breakfast was good with a variety to suit your tastebuds although the place is a tad small, but they do span out to the outdoor options. Staff are always friendly and helpful. My hillview twin room is spacious and cosy and for 2 nights I got a good sleep. The rain shower is refreshing to use but the toilets lack amenities and very basic. Hard Rock Cafe, as always, presents talented bands but the cafe itself is very small and I can't imagine how it's like when it's full house. Around the area looks more like a ghost town as it's near the end of Ferringhi, however take a short walk to night market round a winding road where there're good restaurants, mini markets and shops. Beach is just okay, clean but not clear but beware of jellyfish which sometimes makes an appearance. Public bus service is just outside the hotel premises and it's quite efficient , fast and easy to just pay upon boarding but try and get the driver to alert you on where you should be stopping as I did not and ended taking almost a 2 hour bus ride in busy Georgetown. I don't think there are metered taxis at all but they have like a standard rate like RM30 to town and RM70 to the airport. Would return for the hotel but not so much for Penang.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Huckleberry65, Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Penang, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2011

Thank you for your thorough review fazzigucci. Although Penang as a location didn't quite live upto your expectations, I'm pleased we did!

Have a rockin' 2011 from all the staff at the Hard Rock Hotel Penang.

Reviewed January 13, 2011

It is tough to write this review… the hotel itself is perfectly adequate, not outstanding but not terrible either (3.5 star level). It was the hotel guests that ruined the experienced of staying here. We stayed here for 2 nights between Christmas and New Year and the place was full of families and kids. My husband summed up our experience as “package holiday hell”. Walking into the hotel lobby for check- in, all you saw was screaming, wet kids running from the pool to the elevator leaving the entire lobby area with a wet floor for someone to slip and injure themselves on. It was a similar crazy scene anywhere you went in the hotel –lobby, pool, restaurants, etc. Great for families I guess but not for anyone looking for a relaxing time. Reminded me of Circus Circus in Las Vegas.

Being redundant, the word that comes to mind to describe the room is “adequate” – comfortable enough. The bathroom is quite small and the first time we used the shower, the entire bathroom flooded. Housekeeping did respond very quickly and fixed the issue.

Breakfast was very disappointing made worse by the guests again. It was a zoo! A girl in front of me in the buffet picked up food with her fingers, put it on her plate, changed her mind and put it back in the buffet. It was a very limited selection. I got a waffle which was rock solid and while trying to cut into it sent a piece flying across the table.

If you are travelling with family this place might be an option but I wouldn’t stay here again. But then it is tough to blame the hotel for their guests’ behavior.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Runningshoes

Dear Runningshoes,

Thank you for your comments. Over the christmas period and leading upto the new year is indeed our busiest time for families at our hotel for the entire year. I regret to hear that this impacted on your stay with us. There are still areas of the hotel and around the pool that you can seek solitude away from the kids area at all times.

Hopefully we see you again to experience the hotel rockin to our usual cool beat fused with entertainment and fun!

Rockin' Regards

Reviewed January 12, 2011

The moment that I stepped into the hotel lobby, the holiday mood was already all over me. First, it's really cool having the bar next to the check-in counter and have a glimpse of the pool. Check-in was smooth and we got all three rooms upgraded to sea view.

As it was Christmas eve, we decided to take the hotel's buffet dinner. It was definitely pricey (MYR148++ without drinks) considering the food served was of average quality. However, this is somewhat compensated by the great live band performing that night. I loved all the songs they performed and my young daughter was dancing all night long.

The hotel's pool was definitely the highlight of this hotel - good size, kids love the slides & pool volley ball while adults can enjoy a drinks or two by the pool bar. We also tried the water sports at the beach, all great fun!

As for the room, I agreed with some reviewers that it is showing some signs of aging + wear & tear despite the hotel being only a year old. Also, the room size is small, especially the bathroom! In-room entertainment system is satisfactory as there is LCD TV with sound system. Didn't really spend much time on TV as we came for the pool and beach. Yeah, got to mention about the free in-room wi-fi, very handy for my iPad.

During my stay, we have no issue with noise (as the live band stopped at 10:30pm) and housekeeping. The staff (esp. the pool staff) were lovely. No regrets choosing HRH Penang as our Christmas getaway.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family

Thanks for rockin' out with us over christmas. We're all big fans of Ray and the Jazzhats! Hopefully we see you chillaxn this way again soon!

Rock on!

Reviewed January 11, 2011

This is my 1st time staying at one of the Hard Rock branches. Stayed there just to have the 'taste' of it. Rooms & Bathroom are well kept and have a great design with all the 'rocking' elements.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 10, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 4 days in a lagoon room. The room was just gorgeous with the pool right at your door. The staff could not do enough to make you comfortable. The Starz Diner served the best Nasi Goreng I have tasted. The only negatives were they don't have any non smoking areas at the Hard Rock Cafe. We went there to enjoy the band one night only to have the people behind us blowing cig smoke on us and the corridor to the rooms had a very mouldy smell and I do think I spotted mould on the skirting outside room 110. We did enjoy this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2011

On arrival reception were very kind and moved us to a seaview room. Room was nice, bathroom small with a very large picture of elvis in place of a mirror, this was a little strange!

It was very noisy, music playing non stop! The staff were friendly but seemed too intent on having a good time, service was slow at times.

If you want a quiet relaxing holiday pay the extra and go to the shangri la down the road.

• Stayed: January 2011
1  Thank Boo113

Thank you for your comments Boo113. The Elvis painting in the bathroom which is exposed when you close the mirrors is part of the unique bathroom feature in all our rooms complementing the beatles pictures above the bed and the other 600 pieces of memorabilia we have in public areas around the hotel and restaurants.

Although dissappointed we did not meet all your expectations, our brand is centered around music and authentic rock memorabilia which are our points of difference that we are very proud of, and encourage our staff to have fun with it involving guests whenever possible.

Rockin' Regards

#10 of 87 in George Town
Lone Pine Hotel
Lone Pine Hotel
#6 of 10 in Batu Ferringhi

Been to Hard Rock Hotel Penang? Share your experiences!