“Nice youthful hotel”

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
Kaarina, Finland
“Nice youthful hotel”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

This hotel is nice and youthful. Staff is helpful and friendly and fooling around. Food was fine and so was the breakfast. Next to that hotel was Hard Rock Cafe where you can listen to live music every night.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (816)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Been to Penang countless times but have never stayed here before!
LOCATION: Beach-front resort,lots of shopping/shops just outside and within walking distance
nice,clean sandy beach
CHECK-IN: good vibes in lobby,mainly young staff.friendly but could be a bit more efficient
ROOM: booked a seaview deluxe.clean,comfy and fully equipped.great view.
BREAKFAST: Good spread
STAFF: mostly young.lively.but,a bit more training and they will be the best on the island
ENTERTAINMENT: The hotel has all kinds of entertainment.the Hard Rock Cafe with it's live bands.the occasional 'foam-party' with guest DJs.Kids activities,sea-sports.etc.
much of its success has to be the result of having a great Entertainment Manager!

Room Tip: get a sea-facing room
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Gosford, Australia
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Stayed here in july for 3 nights in a seaview room. Initially were on 3rd floor, but required as smoking room and were moved to 6th floor. The view was amazing. Room is a good size and having balcony was a real bonus.

All staff were friendly and always acknowledged you. Reception staff were super. The pool was huge and to our surpise was not as busy as we thought. However we did go midweek for that reason.

Breakfast was awesome a huge variety on offer.

Would stay again but probably only midweek.

Room Tip: Sevaiew rooms are worth the extra
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed July 26, 2014

I have lost count of the number of visits we've made, first with one baby, now with two energetic boys. It's like visiting an old friend in Penang. Got a card in the room from the manager, welcoming us back, a fruit basket, chocolates and complimentary hotel merchandise. Nice!
I noticed some improvements in the pool area - rails have been installed at the steps leading to the slides, and the non-slip flooring replaced.
Food in the Pizzeria is as good as ever - Chef Joe working is magic, as usual! And the coffee machine makes excellent espresso (the machines in Starz Café only makes regular cofee)
In our last night there, just before putting the boys to bed, we discovered that the 4-year old's bolster was missing from the room. An anxious call to Housekeeping was placed, and within 5 minutes, bolster and boy were reunited... World War III in our room was narrowly averted.
The boys are already talking about our next visit there, and it's only our second day back home after a great holiday in Penang.

2 Thank AT29er
Perth
Reviewed July 25, 2014

We travelled as a family with two older teenagers and therefore needed two rooms. We decided not to have interconnecting rooms & instead booked a pool deluxe room and a Seaview deluxe room. Both rooms were identical other than of course the pool room had its own deck leading straight into the pool & the Seaview room had a balcony overlooking the pool. The rooms were very well equipped including a universal plug, the Seaview room had a drying rack on the balcony which the other room did not, both rooms had poor lighting in the bathroom. We did have trouble with kids using the deck of our pool room, running across the deck & jumping straight into the pool. I did find this a little disrespectful as we had towels & items of clothing on here & their parents were watching from the other side of the pool. This is not an issue with the hotel, more the parents. We used the tubes, which were great fun, 10 MYR for a single (for the day) or 20 MYR for a double. We 'borrowed' two Fender Guitars for our stay, it does clearly state on the website that a credit card deposit is required, but we were a bit surprised at the amount (10000 MYR for both) but there was no problem & the money was promptly credited when we returned the guitars. I had a full body massage both on the street opposite the hotel & also in the Rock Spa. Although the Rock Spa is more expensive it was by far the better of the two. I came away so relaxed, it was wonderful listening to the waves a few metres away, afterwards I was given ginger tea which was delicious. While I was there they had a special price if your massage was before 12 o'clock, I would suggest you book this in advance as I couldn't get one on the day I booked, but like me, you wont mind if you have to pay more as it was so worth it. Staying at the Hard Rock allowed us a 10% discount at the Hard Rock Café & the Rock Shop, we just had to flash our room card. Loved the Hard Rock Café but was a little disappointed that the band didn't come on till 10.30pm & you needed to be over 21 so having 19 & 15 year olds meant we had to leave. We ate twice in the pizzeria, love the relaxing location & had snacks & cocktails at the Shack. Service & food quality was great & would recommend both. All the staff at the Hard Rock were amazing, the only name I managed to get was Opy who very kindly found whipped cream for my son on a few occasions, in the end knowing before I even had to ask him, thank you! We used the taxis outside the hotel on a few occasions, we learned so much from one driver in particular, we wish we had met him at the beginning of our stay, so I recommend using these guys as they are full of local interesting information. If you have a young family you will especially love this hotel, the pool and the activities provided will keep them entertained.

Room Tip: We could hear the music from the lobby lounge from both the pool & seaview deluxe rooms.
2 Thank cb466
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

A good 4* hotel with excellent facilities - massive pool, nice big quiet gym and great food at all the restaurants. However there were quite a few negatives- the service is not fantastic- I had to wait a while at reception on a few occasions and also the room-keeping services were actually quite poor. They only included making beds and changing towels- no cleaning or vacuuming that we noticed and sometimes they forgot to leave enough towels and water and even completely forgot to make up our room on one day. When we phoned to report these problems they still took about half an hour to rectify them.
This hotel is particularly geared towards families / children with a noisy central kids pool area so if you're after a romantic break then choose somewhere else. But if you are a family then this hotel is perfect. Also, try not to book around a Malaysian national holiday (and there are a lot) because this makes the hotel a whole lot busier and noisier!
If you are going to stay here the ask for a room nearer the lift- it's a big hotel with lifts only centrally so the walk from the end rooms to lift takes about 2 minutes.

Stayed June 2014
Perth, Australia
Reviewed July 24, 2014

From the moment we arrived at the Hard Rock Hotel Penang we were treated like Royalty. We had booked the Lil Rockers Room with the Kings Club upgrade. As soon as we arrived we were taken to the 6th floor to the Kings Club room for a private check which included a fresh juice in an air conditioned room with private bathroom facilities (this was handy are our eldest son had been car sick on the way to the hotel and I needed to clean him up) The staff (Tweety - not her real name but what General Manger John had advised her nickname to be) provided amazing service from check in to check out. Each morning we were greeted by the staff in the Kings club for a sumptuous breakfast (I highly recommend the French toast0. Lhi (again I am not sure of the spelling) quickly offered my husband and I a coffee and by our second day at the hotel knew exactly how we had our coffee. I was so beautiful to be able to have our breakfast up here in the piece and quiet away from the hustle and bustle downstairs. Afternoon tea was also included in the Kings club package and was delicious although we only ate it once or twice and at 6pm evening drinks and canapés were served. We enjoyed this every night and again the staff knew our drink order and kept the drinks coming. The canapés were extremely generous and for 3 nights as it si actually more like a buffet it become our evening meal. We highly recommend anyone staying at the Hard Rock in Penang upgrade to have this included as it truly is a 'ROCK STAR' experience and the staff go out of their way to accommodate the guest requests.

Travelling with a 6 and 4 year can have it's ups and downs. We loved the 2 weeks that we were able to spend with our boys in KL and Penang but our boys simply loved the Lil Rock Club. Fasha and Kurt were amazing with our boys and were always so happy to care for them both in the club and around the pool. My husband actually hurt his neck playing with our boys in the pool and I was able to quickly bundle my soaking wet boys and their towels up and take them to the kids club who continued to watch them in the pool while I got my husbands neck looked. Our eldest boy also opted to stay at the hotel whilst My husband, I and our youngest visited the local toy museum, batik factory and butterfly park. The ladies in the kids club happily took our boys for lunch in the pizzeria where we meant the most beautiful caring lady whom our VERY shy 4 year old became very attached to. Fifi is an absolute delight to have met and for my baby to become so attached to someone so quickly and easily I was really sad to say good bye to her.

The guys around the pool and in the sand bar are so happy and friendly and again nothing was a problem for them. They day my husband hurt his neck we had actually hired one of the tubes that in our haste we forgot to return to the towel counter. I went back sometime after and was told no problem we will find it. Sure enough later that night whilst enjoying the barefoot bbq buffet at the pizzeria I saw one of the lifeguards walked through with the tube smile and say to me see I told you I would find it.

The rock spa is AMAZING. I wanted to bring Mary home with me. On our first night I went and booked in for the Sole Revival which came with a complimentary15 minute neck and shoulder massage. She worked out all the tension in my feet and legs (I enjoy running but never realised the tension building up in my legs) she then moved onto my neck and shoulders and was able to work out just through massaging this that I actually had been having troubles with my ears and sinuses. She offered for me to try ear candling and I am so glad I did it was amazing. I booked again to see her for a full body massage the following evening which released all the tension in my body. On our last day I went back again and enjoyed the sole revival package ( this time it was the spa assistant manager - sorry I didn't catch her name) I was so relaxed I found myself drifting of to sleep.

I could go on forever we enjoyed every single thing about the hard rock hotel. From Johan at the concierge desk who helped me get a taxi to the pharmacy to get medication for my husband, the kings club staff, housekeeping, the pool guys, the ladies in both the spa and the kids club, the hairdresser who gave my husband an amazing haircut, the staff in the rock shop, the staff in the hard rock café and pizzeria everyone up to and including the General Manager John who were so happy to help, have a chat, play with our boys and genuinely made it a memorable holiday so much so we are wanting to renew our wedding vowels at the Hard Rock next year.

Thank you so much, have a rockin' day............

Room Tip: The lil's rockers courtyard rooms are awesome.... Playstations, movies on demand and huge comfy...
1 Thank DMMummy
#6 of 11 in Batu Ferringhi
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
#11 of 84 in George Town

Been to Hard Rock Hotel Penang? Share your experiences!