“Good choice if you are travelling with young kids”

Hard Rock Hotel Penang
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
Kuala Lumpur
“Good choice if you are travelling with young kids”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

This is my second stay at Hard Rock Hotel Penang since end of 2012, this hotel would be a good choice if you are travelling with young & active kids that would enjoy the swimming pool activities.
It is not a quiet place if you are looking for a resort to relax. The breakfast need a lot of improvement in terms of Taste, Quality and Choices.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (803)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Jakarta, Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Never been to penang, Didn't event know that penang is such a beautiful island.
Was there for work, happen to have an event to organise at the hotel. But once i step my foot at Hard Rock suddenly it feels like holiday.

Very friendly staff greets us at the lobby.. going through the lobby is a large swimming pool with mini water boom slides.. with the background of beautiful beach at the back... LOVELY!

Surprisingly not only the staff at the lobby thats friendly, as far as i can remember all of them with hard rock hotel uniform is super friendly. Even the marketing that helps us to manage the event was very helpful..highly recommended for any function you want to organise there..

The room is great, one of my friends room is at the lagoon, A.K.A direct access to swimming pool, i guess suits for those who's going for holiday with their kids, although its not very spacious.

But the other room was huge, love the interior in the room with a touch of "hard rock" here and there...

and the view from each room is just amazing especially during sunrise and sunset and full moon. I happened to be there during full moon, just a reflection of the moon on the water.. the beach, perfect for honeymoon too i supposed.

Bottom line... Will definitely go back there for holiday!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

My bf made a dinner reservation at Hard Rock Cafe & a slice of Tiramisu to celebrate my birthday w/o my knowledge. W/o any knowledge, I insisted to have dinner outside hotel instead. However when we reached our hotel rm after dinner, we were shocked & surprised to see the hotel rm nicely decorated with balloons (at least 30) and 1.5kg of Tiramisu nicely placed on the bed. We re-visited the Hard Rock Cafe again on the next day and were being addressed by our names. The staff also sang birthday song and served us dessert for free. The hotel staff and Hard Rock Cafe staff were pleasant & provided us a memorable experience. The Lagoon Hotel rooms was fantastic. We would stay there again on our next visit.

Stayed October 2013
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Reviewed November 17, 2013

if you are looking for a quiet time basking under the sun or a dip in the pool, i think HRH is not the one. This is a family hotel. If i were a kid, it could be heaven as there are water slides and a big pool. of course there are 'private corners' but you cant hide from the kids and you can hear their happy squeels. there are rooms on ground floor where their balcony leads straight to the pool.

in the evening, you can enjoy the live music at the lobby which ends around 1030pm and if you still want to rock on, the live band in HRC is just next door.

breakfast was alright to me... have had better buffet spread in other hotels similar rank as HRH.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 17, 2013

I cannot praise the entire team at The Hard Rock Hotel in Penang highly enough. Super friendly staff that served you with enthusiasm, combined with great local knowledge. They always have a ready smile and they made my stay so memorable I actually didn't want to leave.

When you arrive they greet you at the check in desk with a drink while they process your check in rather quickly. All done with a beaming smile. A person then brings up your luggage and shows you the room pointing out things you can look out for - like an international plug next to the bed dresser so you won't need an adapter. Then he mentions that the air con will automatically switch off when you open the balcony door. But I was only half paying attention as the view was so gobsmackingly breathtaking. He also introduced himself as Russell and shakes your hand when leaving; parting with a message that if I wanted anything at all, just ask for him.

At the Shack Bar next to the pool, Hawyuen, one of the bar tenders there greets you so warmly that you cannot help yourself but buy a beer. Since it was Happy Hour I got two for the price of one. Bonus! We have chatted over the course of a few days as I was sitting in the pool while sipping beers that Hawyuen felt more like a friend rather than a staff member.

Lounge Stage: I first heard their music on the Wednesday night of 13 November 2013. The female vocalist had such a magical voice that when she sang, for the first time in my life I was transported. I neither heard her nor saw her anymore, but instead a collage of past memories came flooding forth. She sounded like a graceful nightingale. Her name is Rachel Tan and she is part of the band who call themselves, The Brackets.

At the Rock Spa, I spotted one of the masseuses so beautiful I had to book an appointment with her. The whole team is so friendly. They outlined what services were on offer and there was quite a range. I chose the Buff Spa which cost RM$295 plus taxes and service charges so you pay a little over RM$320. An appointment was made. I met up with Ria promptly the next day at 2pm and she brought out a tray of ointments, scents and minerals for me to choose. Then we went to a bungalow situated outdoors. Despite the heat of a tropical island, it felt cool under the thatched roof of a traditional hut where Ria asked me to change into a little disposable underwear. She discreetly went away while I did this before coming back with all the items needed for my massage.

She started slowly with the oil massage and asked if the pressure she was applying was to my liking. It was and soon I dosed off and only remember half the massage. She then gently called out my name to ask me to turn over so she could do the front. Again I felt like sleeping but managed to stay awake by talking with her.

When she completed that, she proceeded with the next phase, which was a scrub. She rubbed the combination of minerals and salt all over me - the aim was to exfoliate dead skin cells.

After that she left me alone to wash off all that mess. It felt invigorating to shower naked out in the open under a shining sun but within the shade of palm trees. The entire bungalow was shielded so you have complete privacy.

Then I finished off with a ginger tea on the porch at the main office, watching other people play and frolic in the massive pool a short distance away.

But the real 'service surprise' came when the other team members told me that Ria came back to serve me on her day off! Wow I thought she was just joking when she first told me that. I asked her why she did that and she said because I requested her service. Wow again! I actually felt bad for doing that and told her so but she smiled and said it was her pleasure. I haven't experienced that sort of commitment to customer service anywhere else. Thank you Ria. Later when she left and I had an opportunity to speak with her manager Lenny, I told her as much and said I was most impressed.

My overall experience is a big WOW! Congratulations Hard Rock Hotel Penang. Thank you for leaving me with the fantastic experience and memory. You can be sure I'll be back and this time bring a load of friends.

Room Tip: Consult with your travel agent for more detailed information as I have only stayed once and only in...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Tehran, Iran
Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

My uncle and I went to this hotel on agust, and every thing was perfect in this hotel I like the staff very much they are well trained and very friendly to me and also very helpful...
The music band in hard rock cafe was did their job very well and the rock musics was playing all over the hotel, the room was large with well designed and very clean bath room.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

The most comfortable and the coolest hotel I've ever stayed! From the rooms to the pool, everything is TIP TOP!

Cool decorations! Provided iron in room. Provided audio in room so you can connect it to your ipod and played your music. The complimentary toiletries includes facial wash etc. the view was great. The pool was great! As a malaysian, usually we malaysians prefer wearing tshirts and trousers when swimming. But most 5-star hotels don't allow that and only allow its guests to wear swimming suits in order to swim in their swimming pools. I thought it would be the same with this hotel, however, to my amazement, there're no restrictions in clothing except that you cannot bring room towels to pool.

Eat! - the breakfast consists of varieties of foods - malaysian foods and western foods!

Location- got many shops outside the hotels and you can just walk around.

Decorations - so many rock stars emblems. Statues, pictures, hard rock vintage car, the hard rock guitar, and the deco revolves around The Beetles! So cool lah!

Overall, the Best-est hotel in Penang where I've stayed so far lah. ;)

Stayed November 2013
#6 of 11 in Batu Ferringhi
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
#11 of 84 in George Town

Been to Hard Rock Hotel Penang? Share your experiences!