“Rocking family hotel”

Hard Rock Hotel Penang
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I selected this hotel due to the advertisement promoting it as a family hotel. I arrived earlier than the official check-in time, they processed my check-in quite fast. As the room is not ready yet, they advise me to bring my kids directly to the pool and they will give me a call on my cellphone when the room is ready. After having my kid and the father happily settled at the pool, I was called that the room is ready after around 20 minutes. The room is spacious enough allowing space for some customers to place extra bed or baby cot. Personally, I liked the bathroom design, many hotels provide overhead shower which some kids may not like. Hard Rock provide a flexneck light weight showerhead, this is easier for family with young children. The water playground for the kids make my son so excited, we spent the whole afternoon enjoying at the pool. Sand area next to the pool provide safer place for the kid to play around. This is definately top at my recommendation list to my friends on family hotel choices.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed May 3, 2013

We got the lagoon room which was awesome! you can jump right into the pool from the room's deck!. great atmosphere. can be a bit noisy at night, so request a room that is far away from the lobby lounge. do not choose other rooms, the lagoon room is the way to go when you stay at Hard Rock Hotel Penang.

Room Tip: Choose the Lagoon room. Its the only way to go. can be a bit noisy at night, so request a room that...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

Apart from tr traffic jams in around Georgetown. I found this hotel to be excellent. As a frequent traveller I'm surprised. I will definitely come back in the future.
If you don't want the traditional boredom come to the Hard Rock

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Beautiful hotel and surroundings! Lovely service throughout our stay. The ice cold complimentary drinks upon our arrival were very welcome. The pool is amazing. Our children had lots of fun spending their days by the pool, splashing about, playing at the sand area and water activity area. Get the cabana by the poolside if you can. You'll need to rent it but it comes with a good supply of food and beverage. Breakfast is plentiful and delicious and WARM. The room is large and comfortable for a family of 4. The only downside to our stay was the noise. You can hear the lounge music all the way to the bedroom and on one of the nights there was even as Ms Hard Rock Competition!!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank AidaZT
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I stayed at the HRH Penang for 3 nights in April with my 2 kids aged 5 & 7 yrs. Our hill view room was spacious and well appointed. I had to pay an extra 120 RM per night for a rollaway bed for my youngest, which was probably a little steep. The bed wasn't in the room when we arrived, but was put in later in the afternoon. The safe in the room was broken and I had to ask several times for it to be fixed. I tried calling reception from the room several times and they answered once, but every other time the phone just rang out. Not great. Breakfast was included though I've had better buffet breakfasts. I asked for a cappuchino one morning and was told that it wasn't included in the buffet. I said I didn't mind paying for it, but it never showed up. Food and beverage service at this hotel was slow, though typical for Malaysia. Food was ok, but not great. Cocktails and fresh juices at the pool bar were great as was the coffee from the reception bar.

The kids loved the pool and slides and were happy to spend most of the day there, leaving me to relax by the pool. I expected the music to be loud and over bearing, but it wasn't. The live music in the evenings was popular with young and old. This is definitely a family hotel, so wouldn't recommend it for couples wanting a quiet getaway.

The check in and check out were prompt and the staff friendly.

The beach at Batu Ferringhi is nothing spectacular and swimming is not recommended, so you need to make do with the pool. Fine with us.

There is a lovely restaurant within walking distance of the hotel, Ferringhi Garden, which caters for children.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would be happy to return again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank MCzaiBeijing
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We spent 3 days at Hard rock hotel, and we wished if we could stay more...... a perfect hotel that we will never forget, hard rock has the largest swimming pool and sandy pool in Penang with lots of activities and slides that my daughter enjoyed a lot, she also enjoyed Lil' rock kids club that offers a lot of activities for the kids. Very friendly staff, clean room with amazing sea view, comfortable bed and excellent breakfast, everything about hard rock is perfect and amazing. Miss you hard rock and Penang.....

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Not a bad hotel and in a good location. Close to markets, restaurants, beach better here than elsewhere, short taxi ride to large shopping plazas. Would definitely recommend upgrading to lagoon room so you can access pool from your room without having to bother with staking out pool chairs. You have your own on your balcony.
Note that this is an extremely noisy hotel at all hours. The live music in lounge can be heard in your room no matter which room you pick and this hotel is dominated by families with kids. Having lots of fun =lots of screaming. Good if you have kids but if you are a couple wanting privacy, I suggest you try a different hotel.
Food is ordinary, so eat elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2013
#6 of 10 in Batu Ferringhi
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
#11 of 88 in George Town

Been to Hard Rock Hotel Penang? Share your experiences!