“The only 5 stars are the artists the hotel features!”

Hard Rock Hotel Penang
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
“The only 5 stars are the artists the hotel features!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2011

A hotel to experience if hard rock is your thing but let us be clear, the only thing 5 star about this hotel is it's prices!

The food generally is very mediocre. The breakfast room is like a school cafeteria. The chefs though struggled to cook a half decent egg. The coffee was awful. The presentation and quality of food was ropey!

The resort was almost non-existent with very limited restaurant choice of any quality in what is supposed to be a five star resort.

The staff were very friendly but given the environment, young and their inexperience showed. This though was more than compensated by the wonderful Malay friendliness and obliging charm.

The swimming pool in the hotel was so nice. The largest I have seen in a hotel. It was very entertaining for kids with great water slides. These more than made up for the lame kids club. Going out of season is no excuse.

Half way through our stay we moved rooms and upgraded to a pool room. The concept of opening your French doors onto your own sun deck with loungers and then to step into one part of the swimming poll was so nice and made a significant improvement to our stay.

I hope like us if you go, that you don't check in as we did when there is live entertainment in the hotel. With the reception desk being situated adjacent, it was more like trying to have a conversation in a nightclub!

Am I pleased I had the experience - yes. Would I return to this hotel - no. Would I recommend it - yes, as long as expectations are set prior as written here. Is the Hard Rock a long stay vacation hotel (we were there 11 nights) - I would not say so. Would I book another vacation in Malaysia - most certainly!!

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Gersh46

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (786)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2011

This place really is kid heaven. It is busy and noisy and full of life and the 6 nieces and nephews I travelled with loved every minute. We stayed as a large family group for 5 nights in July and were impressed with the facilities and service in all areas of the hotel. Each day, we rented a cabana which was a very relaxing way to enjoy the pool. We all used the spa (even the kids who got chocolate wraps and pedicures). I was lucky enough to experience the Diva Package and was pampered by the delightful spa staff for two and a half hours - heaven! The spa is surprisingly quiet given that it isn't far from the centre of the resort.
I stayed in a Lagoon Deluxe Room which had direct access to the pool; this was great as I could step out and swim at any time. The bed and bathroom were very cool as was the ipod dock. On the down side, I did find that there was a distinct odour in these rooms (I had to move due to the smell one night as my original room was truly stinky) but I think its only that they are so close to the water and I got used to it after a short while. Due to the room change I was given a suite for one night and I can highly recommend that but I have to say that I loved having my own pool access.
The hotel states that children under 12 cannot stay in the lagoon rooms but there were many people with babies and small children in the rooms near mine; so much for choosing them for kid-free space.
Speaking of kids, it really is a place for them. The music, the daily dance, the water slides are perfect to keep them occupied for hours. In my group they loved the milkshakes at the swim up bar (which were delicious) and they discovered the joys of room charging!
I mostly enjoyed the Hard Rock; the pool and gym are fantastic and the Starz Diner evening buffet is worth trying. It is a definitely a family place and there is plenty to do. The distance to the night market is an easy walk and Long Beach Hawker market for food is worth the trip.
Overall, a fun place, but as a kid-free traveller I'll save it for the family holidays!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2011

Conveniently situated 10 -15mins stroll to good local food restaurants
mini mart opposite /next door to hotel reasonable.Ideal for young families
Lil Rock kids club was enjoyed by our 7/9 year olds
Pool facilities great with slides/cannons and shallow area
Beach was clean  and the room was spacious. The  pizzeria and breakfast restaurant was good with my  son's  allergies.
Room complimentary drinks/water useful as was take-out breakfast on early departure

Cons: unfortunately, check-in was slow, room availability not till 4pm. Main grumble was in not keeping us informed, same reception problems as previous posters. Wi-fi only worked  intermittently but at least free!

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank Lambo911
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

From the minute we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by treated like rock stars. The staff rush to open your taxi door, they greet you and make you feel welcome.

The pool manager called Mark, introduced himself to us and showed us all the outside facilities. Two days later when Mark saw us by the pool he remembered all of our names, I was so impressed with this.

We had two interconnecting deluxe seaview facing rooms, they are absolutely stunning. Housekeeping was fantastic and the rooms are all very clean.

The hotel is centrally located and is only a 5 minute drive from the night markets, this costs approx RM10.

I loved the huge swimming pool as it caters to the different needs of each age group, the slides kept our children (9 and 6 year olds) very busy.
What I feel should be looked at a little more carefully is perhaps for the lifeguards to supervise those people using the slides a little better to prevent any mishaps. But on the whole the lifeguards were pretty vigilant.

The activities that the pool staff had arranged was fantastic. I loved the afternoon dancing, the sports night activities, music trivia, fear factor contest, volley ball, sumo wrestling and many more. Mark was fantastic at getting all the people to participate, he has a lovely way with people. He is to be commended.

One other point to mention though is that some of the songs played by the pool for the kids activities had some profanity in them and I think some care should be taken to exclude these songs as there are many children at the hotel.

The pizzeria on the premises has lovely food, but I felt that for our 10 day stay it would have been nice to have a slightly bigger menu so that you can have variety. I know there is also the Starz Diner that you can have lunch at but when you are sitting by the poolside you don't want to go inside.

Wangaratta, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2011

We stayed here for 5 nights, as a stopover on our way from the UK to Australia and it was everything we had hoped for and more, especially if you have kids. Our daughter is 3 years old and loved it.

The pools are just fantastic with different areas for the kids plus the main pool which is the focal point of the hotel. Plenty of sun-lounges surround to pools, so you can relax while keeping an eye on the kids. There were 3 water slides and an area with fountains and water shooting everywhere, plus a shallow pool with sand on the bottom so the kids don't slip. Then you have the main pool which is just beautiful and relaxing.

The room was well appointed and fairly spacious. We had an additional rollaway bed for our daughter and there was still plenty of space left, so you didn't feel cramped.

The breakfast was fine, with plenty of variety. So definitely something for everyone.

The location of the hotel is at the other end of the beach, so it is more quiet (less noisy jet skies and boats) but still only a 5-10 min walk along the beach to the other hotels, night markets and great food market too. We used to walk along the beach, have dinner in the food market and then walk back through the town where the market stalls line the street.

There are also plenty of nice places to eat and not too far from the hotel. In fact the Thai restaurant just across the road from the hotel is wonderful and not expensive.

All in all we had a lovely time and it was a great place to break up our trip.

Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2011

The worse part of the entire stay was the check-in experience that took whole one hour and a cold shoulder treatment from the female front desk staff. We did not check-in early but arrived at 2 pm and were made to wait until 3 pm. I would not come again, even though the rooms were well appointed, because to me first impression is the last impression.
I still cannot understad, how a 5 star hotel can make their guests wait for a whole one hour after designated check-in time!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank CameronFan
smehrhpg, Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Penang, responded to this review, March 15, 2017
Dear CameronFan,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Hard Rock Hotel Penang.

I am very sorry to read of your check-in experience, which is certainly below the expected standards of Hard Rock Hotel Penang. The hotel does its utmost to ensure the rooms are prepared as quickly as possible. I should note that we do not generally advertise as a 5 star property, although this is our general guests perception when staying here based on the visual aspect and the service from our team.

Once again, thank you for writing a review of your stay. Such feedback helps us improve our services to ensure that our guests all have a rocking good time.

Kind Regards,
John Primmer
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2011

The location is great. 5 - 10 min walk to Long Beach hawker market (or a quick bus ride) It's more quiet at this end of the beach.
We went to Penang for a relaxing time on the beach after a hectic week in Hong Kong
At Hard Rock, we hired a cabana for each of the days we were there - this was great! No worries about sunburn, a cupboard to store cameras, phones etc and pick up the phone to order food & drinks
Most of the activities were held in the other half of the pool so we could relax & destress
Only criticism is that the breakfast area is congested - needs to be spread out more with stations in different areas

• Stayed July 2011
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
#11 of 84 in George Town
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,389 reviews

Been to Hard Rock Hotel Penang? Share your experiences!