“A jewel in Montague”
Review of Somerset Lodge

Somerset Lodge
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Somerset Lodge is a jewel in the Overberg - a great self-catering or B&B option to use as a base to explore the region. The accommodation is exceptional value for money - beautifully appointed and a fabulously luxurious base to come home to at the end of each exciting day. The lodge is immaculately kept and David is an attentive and helpful host.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed January 15, 2014

We stayed over from 6-9 Jan 2014.
David was our host and he made us feel at home immediately.
The room was clean and very neat.
We stayed in Kearsney which is a selfcatering unit with its own entrance.
Serviced everyday and coffe, tea and milk provided.

Ideal for two adults with a very comfty bed.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We got off to a rocky start, in that I was contacted by David asking me for our deposit for our stay, when he was the one who took the deposit from my account (a point which he denied at the time). I had to contact my bank to ask them to send proof, in the end I sent the email back to him where he advised me of such. I called him and advised him of such to which he informed me that he hadn't checked before calling.

I would have cancelled immediately sight unseen had it not been a hassle to get the deposit back.

its a great pity that the b+b does not actually include breakfast as do the other establishments in Montagu. (It is an optional extra at an additional cost.

I don't believe that the establishment is children friendly.

I room I stayed in had its own entrance, but the path to the pool and dining room stopped short of the gate to my room, which led to my having to walk on the grass. The owners have two small dogs, who don't appear to like each other and their aggressive growling and snarling at each other and barking at you is a little disconcerting. (Hence my comment about children). The gardens are lovely. as are the rooms, but small things need to be addressed. The side tables have glass on them which are chipped and very sharp.

Self-catering means a microwave/hotplate/toaster/kettle and fridge. But nowhere to really sit down and eat except outside which is okay in summer but if it rains or is cold (not sure on that one). Montagu is a lovely town and the people are exceptional. However, I am not too sure if I would go back to Somerset Lodge.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank ifnotwhy
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Beautiful rooms very cleaned and well looked after. Pleasant and helpful owners. Unfortunately no breakfast available.
Nothing else to add except to please you with unnecessary bla bla bla bla bla bla

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We had a quick stop - over in Montagu for 1 Night - we only spent bout 8 hours in our room, but we were treated like family.
What a little piece of Heaven...
David was such a joy and really took time to make us comfortable and ensured that we were very well looked after.
Not only will this be a perfect Holiday hang - out, it will make a great Romantic break away.
Fully equiped and very neat, this is really a great B&B as well as self catering unit!!!
I highly recommend Somerset - Lodge to any traveller - For a short or longer stay!
Make the most of your trip and ensure that you book your stay to avoid any dissapointment!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Hilton Room - very private - LOVED it!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 3, 2013

A perfect accommodation in a calm part of Montagu with a courteous owner. David is a very humorous man and we had very interesting conversations. Thank you David for staying with you. Have a beautiful summer.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 2, 2013

We had a wonderful time in the Somerset Lodge.
Everything was just perfect! Price-Performance was unsurpassable.
Dave is so a nice and helpful guy and we would definitely come back the next time. He even helped us to find an accomodation for our next stop of our trip and gave us a recommendation for the most delicious dinner!!

Thank you so much for the lovely time!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends