“Delicious meal in cozy atmosphere”
Review of Ye Olde Tavern

Ye Olde Tavern
Ranked #3 of 31 Restaurants in Montagu
Cuisines: Bar, Grill
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Casual Family Restaurant set in a beautiful old building showcasing the interesting history of Montagu, with a delightul garden for diners that enjoy the fresh air. Extensive menu caters for all tastes, including vegetarian and gluten free, with a Kiddies Menu as well. Drinks are served in the garden or at the bar from 3.30 PM and dinner is available from 5.30PM with the kitchen taking the last order at 9.30 PM. Reservations are advised as tables are taken rather quickly, so to avoid dissapointment - "phone or email ahead of time! We look forward to having you dine with us!
Ottenbach, Switzerland
“Delicious meal in cozy atmosphere”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Very cozy little restaurant. Very friendly staff and owner. Meal very good. Prices ok. Would go again anytime.

• Visited October 2012
tavernowner, Owner at Ye Olde Tavern, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Thank you so much for your review, my staff and I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback.

Cape Town
“Excellent food”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

A very busy restaurant which is patronised by the locals, which is a good sign! Important to book as many people were turned away. Excellent food which is reasonable priced.

Visited August 2012
tavernowner, Owner at Ye Olde Tavern, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Thank you so much for the review. We have a saying in Montagu that if you visit us often enough we will call you a "local" :-) so next time you pop in consider yourself at home.
Liscannor, Ireland
“liked it so much we went back on our second night in Montagu”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

The house specials are delicious, they make an excellent Bobotie and the apple crumble (huge portion) is no ordinary apple crumble, I would love to get my hands on that recipe!
Prices are very reasonable also.

• Visited September 2012
tavernowner, Owner at Ye Olde Tavern, responded to this review, September 16, 2012
Thank you so much for your positive review. If you can email me on yeoldetavern@telkomsa.net then I will be very happy to share our Apple Crumble Recipe which is so very easy to make.
Hout Bay, South Africa
“Good food...huge portions”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This place has a nice fireplace which was great on that night as it was pretty cold. We came in and were welcomed by the friendly owner, a friendly and efficient waitress looked after us all evening. The food was very good and correctly priced. The portions are huge...I couldn't finish my bobotie but my partner managed (with difficulty) to finish his lamb shank: it was too good to leave behind!

Visited September 2012
Thank you so much for your review. Being in the countryside, we like to ensure that our locals and our visitors are "well fed" and I'm glad you enjoyed your meal and the service. I will share your comments with my staff which is always a huge motivation for them. Hope to have you visit us again in the near future.
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Disappointing Restaurant”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

With not much choice when it comes to dining out in Montagu, and our favourite restaurant fully booked, we had no option but to try Ye Olde Tavern. My husband and I both ordered the Chicken Cordon Bleu. We were served one tiny Cordon Bleu, not homemade but out of an I&J box from the supermarket, a pile of chips and a ramekin containing watery creamed spinach. The spinach was like spinach soup, the single, tiny Cordon Bleu tasted just like the one I make at home, straight out of a box, and in order to satisfy our hunger, we were forced to fill up on the huge pile of chips!
I will make sure that when next we are in Montagu that I phone ahead and book at our 'other' restaurant to avoid a similar disappointing experience.

Visited August 2012
tavernowner, Owner at Ye Olde Tavern, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
Thank you for your review and it is regretful that we were not able to live up to your favourite restaurant expectations. We have a vast variety of dishes on our menu that are made from scratch and unfortunately, the Chicken Cordon Blue (although not out of an I&J box) is pre-portioned and packed from our suppliers. I do trust that the ambiance and service at Ye Olde Tavern was up to standard and hopefully you will allow us to redeem ourselves should you ever decide to give us another try.