“Love it.”

Montagu Country Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Montagu
Reviewed October 15, 2009

I went there in May 09. Had a brill time. The hotel was amazing and the staff...well what can i say A1. For the 2 days i stayed i or should i say the Hotels dogs Megan adopted me. (Hi To Megan) Food was amazing. A great stop off point for a few days. I would defo stay here again in the summer.

Den & Dan
Dublin & London

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Montagu Country Hotel

Reviewed October 13, 2009

The Montagu Country Hotel was one of the last stopovers my friend and I had on our driving itinerary around the Western Cape in September, and out of the many 4 and 5 star hotels we stayed in, it's the first one I wanted to review.

Funnily, I didn't have such high expectations of this place. Being 3 star and accustomed to higher, I was imagining I'd view the hotel as a comfortable stopover but not much else. How wrong I was!

The staff absolutely made it here - so much more down-to-earth, welcoming and friendly than the saccharine natures of staff in some of the posher places I've stayed in! PJ, the manager, is lots of fun, and you'll see his little dog following him around wherever he is.

The courtyard and pool areas within the hotel are just beautiful - perfect for relaxing in on a warm day. The hotel itself is in an Art Deco style, and while some of the rooms do seem more old-fashioned than Art Deco, they are spacious and roomy and you'd be hard put to complain about them considering all the other big plus points that the hotel has.

The hotel's location is right in the centre of Montagu, a town which is fabulously located for exploring the Robertson winelands and some of the great scenery off Route 62. Totally recommended.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 1, 2009

I put the original review in 2007 on to the Hotel John Montagu Guesthouse (wrong hotel!! Sorry!). I travelled with my husband on an escoted tour of the Southern Cape.
However,we had only one night (sadly) at the Montagu Country Hotel.The hotel is a delightful eclectic mix of styles of rooms (no two the same) and small buildings.We thought it was the nicest hotel we had stayed in in S.A. It is very homely with friendly staff. The evening meal was splendid with waiting staff who were a delight. The breakfast was brilliant. They offer continental breakfast , fruit, yoghurt, etc; but don't stuff yourself too soon, as the waiter/ess will come to your table to take your order for a full english cooked breakfast. It was the only hotel where I could drink the breakfast coffee. (I'm picky!) It's the largest hotel in Montagu, which is a very small town..nothing to do there but to stay overnight..although it's in a good area for travelling around. I would certainly recommend this hotel to my best friend. Apologies for not having taken photos.

• Stayed: November 2007
Reviewed September 24, 2009

A very, very big thank you for the fantastic and friendly service given to my wife and I during our stay at the hotel. We absolutely enjoyed our stay and felt truly relaxed and even more rejuvenated upon our return home to Cape Town. . A special thanks must go to Barend, who I never had the opportunity to meet, but was responsible for accommodating my request of a room with a Jacuzzi at very short notice. A big thank you to the restaurant staff as well for accommodating our special dietary requirements. The food was absolutely heavenly. That is what I call service excellence!!! You made my birthday and weekend very special. Thanks everyone. You can be certain that we will be back and have already recommended your hotel to many of our friends. If they really want to experience what we did they will be sure to call you.

Keep up the good work.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2009

The hotel is located in Montagu which is the gateway to the Klein Karoo. It offers excellent facilities in a delightful country village. The traditional cuisine and wine selection is delicious. Accommodation is very comfortable. Experienced owner and manager lead a team of staff that is warm, friendly and willing to serve. The Spa offers a relaxing private Roman Bath with spring water and knowledgable therapists. The art deco style of the hotel is a real treat and for those who enjoy that style and interesting for those who know nothing about it. Cosy fireplaces in winter add to the pleasure of the stay. Great value for money and ideal for an overnight or several nights.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2009

We enjoyed our stay very much especially the quietness and tranquility which was very important. We had a busy week in Bloemfontein and a long drive. To come to a place like this is just the best. On arrival we received a warm welcome from the receptionist (Sammy). The staff were very friendly and bubbly. Our room was very neat and clean and we enjoyed the bath in the bathroom and the bed was very comfortable too. At breakfast (we enjoyed a good one) we received a warm welcome by the manager (P J) as well. A big thanks to everybody that made our stay a memorable one. We will definitely recommend you to others.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 17, 2009

Myself and my girlfriend visited Montagu for the 1st time over July Holidays. I also work in the hospitality industry, so I know about the levels of service.

As soon as we arrived at the Hotel, we were so warmly welcomed by all the staff on duty, and to top the friendliness, there was a nice glass of muscadel to warm you up, as if the service didn't warm you up enough.

The rooms really comfortable, clean, and very user friendly. Everything simple and nothing over the top. Waking up to the crisp winters air and amazing views was amazing. Highly recommended for family, groups and will be a stunning venue for a wedding.

The ride in the 1956 Cadalac with our tour guide was the nicest touch to the stay. Give yourself a treat and do a couple of wine tastings with the managers in charge and it'll be an experience never to forget.

Thank you so much for the lovely experience and we'll definately be back some time sooner than later

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montagu
Montagu Springs Resort
#12 of 35 in Montagu
Vineyard Country House
Vineyard Country House
#2 of 27 in Montagu

Been to Montagu Country Hotel? Share your experiences!