“Good quality.”

Ranked #1 of 16 Restaurants in Fish Hoek
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Barracudas is a family restaurant with a relaxed atmosphere specialising in seafood. The restaurant, situated on the Fish Hoek beach front, boasts a fresh, contemporary and natural feel with a touch of coral and aqua. Maximum views have been created through floor to ceiling glass. The restaurant is fully licenced.
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Nice location especially if you happen to be staying at Calders. Very clean with modern décor. Extensive menu ,good food, wine & extremely pleasant service.

There are newer reviews for Barracudas

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Excellent meal had by the whole family, good value and good service. Would have given it a richly deserved 5 stars if it wasn't that the one waiter smelled like he hadn't showered for a week, that unfortunately spoiled the experience somewhat.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

In all fairness to the owners of Barracudas who have not picked up on the review by M1BDA - what the gentleman did not mention is that this must be the most spotlessly clean restaurant on the False Bay Coast line, stretching from Muizenberg to Cape Point. And the prices on the menu are SO modest, it is like going back a decade in time.

That is the reason why the Pommy swallows who arrive with the summer and make their cheap nests in Fish Hoek, the best value for money suburb along the coast, don't bother to cook for the duration of their stay and they eat out at Barracudas nightly where every nite of the week a different two for one special is offered!

We like to pop in for a late lunch after a morning on the beach and are never disappointed with our choice, be it light as air fish cakes with a delicious Thai sauce, grilled fish, calamari or prawns. The chef is always willing to change any part of your order - a salad for chips, or freshly made stir fry, rice or whatever.

What I also love about this modest place is that from the sparking glass windows (no mean feat so close to the sea) to the inside of the toilets, everything is spotless. How unfortunate that one customer found a cockroach in his dessert, and found need to 'out' the poor cockroach on Tripadvisor! While three quid clearly is NOT money to a Pommy, R39 (possibly R40 the correct price of the dessert) is make or break money on a meal to a restaurant owner working on a tight budget with large overheads in a restaurant that has a few good summer months to see it through the year.

1  Thank Hirene
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We have visited this restaurant 12 times in the last 3 years (we are only in SA for a month each year). I am happy to award a "Very Good" but the 11th visit is one I will remember for a very long time.

The cockroach (picture attached) was crunched on having eaten their Coupe Marquise ice-cream.

I asked to speak with the front of house person and showed her what I had just taken out of my mouth. She confirmed that it was a cockroach and said that it probably had fallen into the glass during the afternoon deep “clean”. She was very apologetic and said that the item would be removed from the bill. Not wanting to make a scene I paid the remaining bill and said I would return the following week so that they would be able to “make up” for what was an unpleasant experience (we like the restaurant and wanted to give as much opportunity for the restaurant as possible to make up for what must be one of the big dining “no-nos”).

My expectation was that we would get meal on the house.

On arrival the following week I said to the same front of house that we were expecting to be “looked after”. We had a very good meal (in fairness all the meals are good here) and we were presented with the bill – what more can I say????? The same waiter served us and said that he was pleased we had come back, but we were still given the bill!!

As I say, I believe I gave the restaurant every opportunity to make amends. A reduction of the bill of some R39 (£3) is clearly not appropriate in this circumstance.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Went to the restaurant during a visit to Fish Hoek and loved the food. You are not allowed to share and you will see why. Portions are huge, so we only had mains, but we thought might try the dessert and it was my first and definately not last taste of this South African dessert called Malva pudding, it's like sticky toffee pudding but better, we had it with ice cream. Themn we ordered the brownie with ice cream, it's the best I have ever eaten, melted in your mouth. Can't wait to go again, staff are all lovely, thanks for my view by the window too.