Makapa Lodge
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
The Last Word Long Beach(Kommetjie)
  • Breakfast included
Check Inn(Cape Town Central)
Steenberg Hotel(Constantia)
Colona Castle(Lakeside)
Tintswalo Atlantic(Hout Bay)
View Hotel
All reviewscape pointself cateringstayed dayschapman's peak drivecape towna lovely guest houseexcellent hostsminute driveexcellent locationb bsouth africaat homekalk bayiannestnoordhoekpeninsula
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Makapa Lodge is such one of the beautiful and wonderful places we ever stayed!
The House Owner are so friendly and warmly People!
We never had such a soooo good breakfast and we never had such soooo delicious scrambled eggs with bacon, tomato and cheese. Margret you are the best egg cooker :-)
Ian has a lot of wonderfull ideas for the day trips and have every maps you need.
The rooms are beautiful, clean and really comfortable.
The House and the garden with the swimming pool is like a paradise and the view also.
If you want to relax as a couple or as a family visit the Makapa Lodge, it´s a wonderfull place to stay! Hope to be there soon again!
Thank you Margret and Ian for all great experience and adventures with you. You are Great and incredible hosts and so great that you came with us so spontanous to the christmas event with James!
In Love Micha and Sara :-)

Room Tip: We loved the Garden room, but the Oakwood room is also such a great one. We saw every room they are all great and styled with a lot of love from Margret! The rooms are all quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 3, 2014

The suite was well planned, with 3 separate areas, good tv choice, wifi once connected worked okay. The breakfast was limited in the choice of non cooked items plus the seating for the breakfast could be improved. Great location for visiting the main sights and good beaches of the peninsula. The nearby shopping Mall was very comprehensive so you should consider self catering. Good Restaurants only a short distance away by car. We did not see much bird life. Smokers could be a problem near the pool area

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Makapa Lodge is a nice getaway form Cape Town. At the end of a drive in a quaint neighborhood you sit at the edge of Table Mountain National Park (Cape Point section). The area is very quiet and has a great view of the Atlantic Ocean from the pool/breakfast area. We had the room on the north side of the house just off the pool. It was rather cool at night, but the bed was comfortable and warm. The only complaint was the smell from the septic tank crept in to the bathroom so we had to keep the door closed which made the bathroom even colder. And that may just be this room--in reality we were only there a couple hours during the day each day, so for sleep it was just fine.

The location makes it a great jump off point to go to Simon's Town, Cape Point, and pretty much anywhere along the peninsula. If you enjoy birds there are quite a few around the grounds, including the stunning Cape Sugarbird--this was the only place I saw these. At night there were nightjars calling from the hillsides, and in the evening a Spotted Thick-knee was walking near the driveway.

The owners Ian and Margaret Minto were very helpful and if you want to see some cool wildlife in the area (specifically Flamingos) let them know and they can tell you exactly where things are. I didn't take advantage of their willingness to share till our last night and likely missed a few things.

If you go here expecting a 5 star resort you will be disappointed. But if you are looking for something in the country that is comfortable, quiet, and has a homey feel, definitely stay here!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We wanted to get away from the hustle and bustle of Joburg and Makapa was the ideal place to relax and unwind!
The photos on the website didn't do it justice, it was even more perfect in real life!
An ideal spot to hideaway away for a few days but also well located should you want to see the sights of the city.
Fantastic value for money. We couldn't believe the yummy full English breakfast was included in the price!
We will definitely go back again soon.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I began my vacation to South Africa (May, 2013) from Cape Town. My plan was to book directly. I also did not want to stay in the downtown area. After interacting with several B&B accommodations in Cape Town, I settled down on Makapa Lodge mainly because of Ian's prompt and detailed responses that gave me all the information I was looking for as well as brought out his helpful nature. Ian also helped me book a pickup from the Cape Town airport to Makapa Lodge from amongst his contact (who were also excellent folks).

I stayed here for 3 nights and booked 3 suites (around the swimming pool) for 4 seniors, 2 adults and 1 child. Right from the start when I reached Cape Town on 5th May & Makapa lodge till I left on 8th May for the Garden Route, Ian and Margaret made all of us feel at home. The rooms were excellent and equipped with everything that one could need for a family. Our rooms were all around the swimming pool (at the center). There was ample space to park a Volkswagen Kombi which I rented. Views all around were excellent with the Ocean visible from the breakfast room. Ian and Margaret helped us with all the information we needed (and we needed a lot of advice since this was our first trip to SA). The location is excellent (Fishhoek). Its a quite locality with malls etc. located very nearby. I felt it was a very safe locality as well.

They also served us with awesome English breakfast every morning which was whipped up by Margaret & Ian themselves! Makapa has a very nice garden in front of the rooms. Two of the rooms are actually located in the garden. There are many birds that can be seen right there in the garden! We saw the Cape Sugarbird, several sunbirds, shrikes etc. right during our stay.

Here are some pictures:

In the end we were left wondering why we did not choose to stay here longer! Cape Town is a wonderful place and I enjoyed my trips to Boulders Beach, Cape Point, Cape of Good Hope, Table Mountain etc. One thing I regret having missed due to lack of time is shark cage diving.

In fact Makapa was one of the highlights of our vacation in South Africa and everyone in my extended family agreed with that.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family