“Great 'basecamp' for an active holiday”

and 1 more site!
Magic Mountain Lodge
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We stayed 3 nights in the MML, to recover from our polartrip and to hike in the Lyngen Alps. It was great. A very relaxed atmosphere, that is combined with an hospitality that really is in line with their slogan 'For travellers, by travellers'. We arrived quite late in the evening, and we enjoyed the Bacalao that was prepared especially for us. And if you want to cook by yourself, the guest-kitchen is well equipped.
They gave us very detailed and accurate instructions about hiking to the top of a mountain, so we learned that it is also 'For hikers, by hikers'. The Lodge is situated in a building that wasn't designed to be an hotel. Not a typical luxury hotel, but big rooms, nice and long beds, good sanitarian and a nice combined breakfast-, living-, dining room with a great view at the Lyngen fjord with sometimes small wales.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Magic Mountain Lodge

Reviewed October 28, 2013

We ended our week long hiking/glacier trip to Magic Mountain Lodge. Although Norway in general is really expensive country, Magic Mountain Lodge is reasonable priced in every way. From the moment we arrived we had a really warm welcome and the staff is really helpful and nice. I am definitely going to return this winter for my backcountry snowboarding trip. Perfect place to keep your basecamp and do day trips to the mountains.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We visit the Magic Mountain Lodge during the July.
My friend had visited the place during the winter time, for off piste skiing and liked the place very much. The aim for our summer visit was to see the Steindalen´s glacier.

We decided to overnight at the Lodge and ask for assistance.
The owners of Magic Mountain Lodge were able to help us to achieve the glacier and even hike on it with us!! I do recommend.
We also visited the Ankerlia open air mine museum and a Gorsa bridge in Birtavarre. The trail from the old mine to the bridge was quite narrow and without any fences, so you might want to ask a guide there as well.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank HNN-MJ
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I stayed here for one night during a cycle tour, and it was exactly what I was after. The room was simple (though gigantic) but very comfortable; the balcony has great views of the fjord and mountains. Best of all was the very warm welcome -- and the delicious food: the best fish soup I had in Norway, I think (and I had a lot of fish soup...). They do their main business in the ski-ing season, so it was pretty quiet when I was there, but it's a great place for a summer visit too.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank pal_mcr
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed here beginning of Mat the 1st week skiing and fishing around.
Good mountain view and easy to catch a fish, because lodge is so close to the sea or fjord.

Room rent included breakfast, packed lunch when you go to ski and buffet dinner. It was fantastic after ski day to go straight to dinner table.

The host family is nice and they give you good instructions where to go.

I definitely go back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Macharza
Reviewed May 7, 2013

If you want a great starting point for your skitouring adventures in Lyngen this is the place. If you like to fill up your energy reserves by feasting on a daily menu that will make you think your mother is hiding in the kitchen making sure you are well fed this is the place. Rooms are spacious, the balcony where you can sip your local beer has a knockout view and if you run into the hosts they will definitely smile at you while giving you the latest info to help you plan your skitouring. This choice is a very easy one. If you are going to Lyngen you want to stay here. Take it from me and my 12 very happy skitouring friends.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Alex S
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I originally chose this place to be close to the Lyngen Alps, one of the location I chose to see the northern lights. Although during my stay the weather was not too great, and I didn't see any lights on this side of the fjord, I considered that two nights to be for rest.

Magic Mountain Lodge is located just outside of Lyngseidet town centre, probably less than 1km from the main junction, but very close to the ferry to Olderdalen. To get here from Tromsø, I recommend that you take the Breivikeidet-Svensby ferry unless you prefer hours of detour, which I didn't do but considering the beauty of this part of the world, why not?

This two storey large house has a ground floor that houses some of the dorms and a ski store and the second floor is where the reception, lounge/dining room, kitchen, laundry and en-suite room is located. During my lazy days, I spent hours hooked up to the wifi in the lounge researching locations to visit and doing some writing. Do so while going through the owner's epic europe-asia cycle trip.

This is a family-run place, and being so, the hosts are extremely friendly and helpful with tips. And anything that is within reason is probably do-able, which makes the place more personal than the establishment-run joints.

During my stay, the other guests were there to ski, and while I didn't do it myself, I was told that Lyngen was a great ski destination, minus the ski lifts but perhaps that means that there are plenty of virgin snow for those that prefers the more natural ski adventures.

During my stay I reserved a single room with en-suite bathroom, and I got a room for 3 and was charged only for 1 person. There's also a full board package where breakfast (which is always included) and dinner is included and you could also pack out lunch sandwich from the breakfast stock. The dinner was just perfect, and this place also employs professional cooks during the peak seasons for this reason - and I dont think I have anything to complain about it. I think I had too large chunk of salmon steak on my second night, and that's because it was too good to pass up. The food here is supposed to be local sourced, so it is an economical way to experience norwegian ingredients without stepping into one of those 5 star restaurants in Tromsø and spend an astronomical sum of money on food. I recommend that you include full board if you plan to be around the area for dinner around 6:30pm to 7pm.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Dufffader
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyngseidet
Arctic Panorama Lodge
#1 of 3 in Olderdalen
Hakon Gjestehus
Hakon Gjestehus
#1 of 1 in Olderdalen

Been to Magic Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!