“Glad I chose this place”

Magic Mountain Lodge
Seoul, South Korea
“Glad I chose this place”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I originally chose this place to be close to the Lyngen Alps, one of the location I chose to see the northern lights. Although during my stay the weather was not too great, and I didn't see any lights on this side of the fjord, I considered that two nights to be for rest.

Magic Mountain Lodge is located just outside of Lyngseidet town centre, probably less than 1km from the main junction, but very close to the ferry to Olderdalen. To get here from Tromsø, I recommend that you take the Breivikeidet-Svensby ferry unless you prefer hours of detour, which I didn't do but considering the beauty of this part of the world, why not?

This two storey large house has a ground floor that houses some of the dorms and a ski store and the second floor is where the reception, lounge/dining room, kitchen, laundry and en-suite room is located. During my lazy days, I spent hours hooked up to the wifi in the lounge researching locations to visit and doing some writing. Do so while going through the owner's epic europe-asia cycle trip.

This is a family-run place, and being so, the hosts are extremely friendly and helpful with tips. And anything that is within reason is probably do-able, which makes the place more personal than the establishment-run joints.

During my stay, the other guests were there to ski, and while I didn't do it myself, I was told that Lyngen was a great ski destination, minus the ski lifts but perhaps that means that there are plenty of virgin snow for those that prefers the more natural ski adventures.

During my stay I reserved a single room with en-suite bathroom, and I got a room for 3 and was charged only for 1 person. There's also a full board package where breakfast (which is always included) and dinner is included and you could also pack out lunch sandwich from the breakfast stock. The dinner was just perfect, and this place also employs professional cooks during the peak seasons for this reason - and I dont think I have anything to complain about it. I think I had too large chunk of salmon steak on my second night, and that's because it was too good to pass up. The food here is supposed to be local sourced, so it is an economical way to experience norwegian ingredients without stepping into one of those 5 star restaurants in Tromsø and spend an astronomical sum of money on food. I recommend that you include full board if you plan to be around the area for dinner around 6:30pm to 7pm.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Dufffader

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

If you seek to get away from Tromsö and see a bit of the area I recommend this place. We came to see the northern light which unfortunately hid behind clouds. But the owners and the view made up for that. Really nice couple. Fun to talk to. Cute little baby. They made hot cider to take on our chase. And lend us a kind of ski/sledge mix. That was tons of fun!
Room were clean and ok for the price.
I would definitely stay again. We came by bus from Tromsö. You might get more out of the area and a better northern lights chase though if you rent a car. Apparently skiing is also great there. Didn't do it though.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank saka2012
south africa
Reviewed November 28, 2012

For a romantic getaway or an adventure filled week-end Magic Mountain Lodge is the perfect lodge in Tromso,Lyngen. The rooms are all very modern & spacious.You feel at home. Patrik and Henrika are 2 of the most helpful hosts.You can enjoy dinner in their restaurant while waiting to spot the Northern lights. Their Lodge is perfectly situated for all the skiing/hiking in the area. You can share travel stories with Patrick & Henrika for hours as they have traveled around the world mostly on bike! Magic Mountain Lodge will make your Norway adventure an everlasting memory!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank tlouw
Stavanger
Reviewed February 15, 2012

Magic Mountain Lodge, is perfect for the skier, backpacker, traveller. It´s an abandoned nursing home, but in good shape! The rooms are clean, the sheats are clean, and you have what you need, that´s what matters! The rest you find up in 2nd floor, with cozy and chill environment with BEAUTIFUL view over the fjord......and after the perfect hike (summer&winter) you can sit down on the balcony and chill with a cold drink, to a good conversation with one of the other guests from all over the world. The food is a sight, and soo good, made of fresh fish from the local fishermen. The fishermen also come by and sell fresh fish packed in folie, good to go, and bring home ;) With 124 peaks over 1000m, and spectacular nature and view wherever you go, this is the place to be for the skier who wants spectacular skiing and scenery! My favourite place on earth!!

I recommend this place for it´s very nice staff, price, cleanness, very good local food, and chill environment! ALL a treveller needs ;)

Room Tip: You can geet bigger rooms with many beds, cheaper, and for groups (200kr the night i think, last yea...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank arnnis
Reviewed July 30, 2011

Went to Magic Mountain Lodge just to have some food and look around Lyngen. It was great. Fresh food. One uf us had cod, the other had meatballs. Both were great.

The place is an informal B&B, but they get the thumbs up, because they take the food seriously. It's an everyday kind of place, but where they seemingly care about doing things in a propper way.

The place was also clean, and in all ways sufficiently nice that I'd go back and spend some nights there.

Room Tip: My guess is that the fish is a safe bet.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank hagimal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyngseidet
Arctic Panorama Lodge
#8 of 12 in Lyngen Municipality
Artic Lyngen Sea-camp
Artic Lyngen Sea-camp
#2 of 3 in Olderdalen

Been to Magic Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!