Chamundi Hill Palace Ayurvedic Resort
Hotel Medas(Kanjirappally)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsyoga classesayurvedic resortown gardenmain buildingper daydelicious foodchamundi hill palacehealingsessiondrbodydoctorpeacehealthhilltopkeralanature
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I stayed at Chamundi for almost 3 weeks. I had never been to an Ayurveda or Yoga resort/hotel before and did this mainly to get away from job, family, life, internet, emails, etc.
Chamundi is very basic (don't excpect a pool or a fitness room - there is however a nice small library with not so bad books!), but is very clean, quiet, has very friendly staff (although communication isn't that easy due to poor English) and after the first 3 or 4 days (when I thought how can I survive 3 weeks in such a remote place) you "fall" into the experience and really start to dramatically relax. The manager, Jibu, who has been there for 8 years or so is absolutely fantastic and will help you with any need. The doctor, Dr. Sheela, has also been there for quite a few years and is simply a star. Both, Jibu and Dr. Sheela are basically always available (5 days week seems not to be a known concept in India!) and will help you with any needs. The days go by with meals, yoga, treatments and lots of reading. Really a very special place!

Room Tip: Would recommend the rooms on the first floor with a balcony, although the rooms on the ground floor are nice too!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank tkiechle
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I went to Chamundi alone for 14 days. However, I never felt alone. I made new friends and had great camaraderie possibly because we were all there searching for the same thing. Needless to say I loved this place soooo much that when I left I actually cried tears. I have never ever done that before.
Jibu is the most helpful manager ever. He set up our day trips, shopping and even a second hotel for me on the beach. If you ever want something to eat thats different they will try to accomadate you.
Dr. Sheila was a doll. She had great advice for my mind and perfect medicinal treatments for my body.
As for my treatments, with the help of medicines, massages, yoga and vegeterian food I lost 10 pounds. I wasnt even trying to lose weight, the people that did the weight loss treatment lost 20 pounds and left with there clothing sagging.
I intend to visit again in one year and cannot wait for that day to come!!! In fact my visa for India will be a 10 year visa because it just seems that the pampering is well worth all the work I do all year as a mother.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Odette A
Reviewed May 25, 2012

I booked this Ayurvedic Resort - my first ever - at the recommendation of a client who has been here before and truly this place exceeds all expectation. The director, Jibu, and the Ayurvedic doctor, Sheelagh, both come from such a loving place. If you are new to Ayurveda, yoga, vegetarian food, mindfulness etc you will be just fine and if you are coming from that place you will really feel cherished. Your money gets you three delicious vegatarian meals a day, two sessions of yoga, two SUBLIME ayurvedic treatments daily and all the jungle and sweet indian breeze you can soak up. I know I am raving but truly Chamundi deserve this.

Room Tip: I had a room with a balcony and if you don't like ceiling fans (I am vata dosha and hate draughts) I would suggest asking for a room with a balcony so you can sleep with the door open wide. It IS India so it is hot all the time (compared to the UK!) and it is perfectly safe to sleep with the balcony door open although you will hear mangoes fall and possibly bats fight. A bit of jungle excitement...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Jeannie B
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Chamundi Palace was my first destination upon arriving into India and I must say it was a truly a relaxing and memorable experience. I arrived stressed out and tired, however after 10 days here, I felt rejuvenated, calm, relaxed and was able to start my travels!

The staff was very attentive and welcoming. Jibu the manager is extremely helpful to take care of all your needs within your stay as well as help assist with your travel plans during and after your stay. Dr. Sheela was amazing, and was extremely caring with the various treatments. She will listen to your needs and check to ensure treatments are going as anticipated. I also absolutely love that even though everyone has the same meals during mealtimes, she ensures the meals are suitable for all the guests and their individual conditions.

In addition, the Palace is situated on top of a mountain with amazing scenic views across the hilltops. It was the ideal surrounding to be able to enjoy some rest and relaxation without any disturbance from the outside world. There were also plenty of different paths through the rubber plantation if you wanted to venture around the property.

I really enjoyed my stay and would recommend to anyone serious about enjoying a true ayurveda experience.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank ahneechu
Reviewed March 24, 2012

Recently I spent 5 blissful days at an ayurvedic resort outside Kochin – in a hill side town of Kanjirappally. The resort of Chamundi Hill Palace is on a hill side estate. The current owner – Mrs. Saroja Thampi, was married to the grandson of the Raja. The main house was in fact built for the Raja about 75 years ago, that Mrs. Thampi tuned into a resort . Part of the charm of Chamundi is its hill top location, over looking a valley. In the morning far away hills are hidden in the morning mist. At night cool breezes blow.
The resort is managed by Mr. Jibu who looks after his guests like a well-trained concierge in a 5 star hotel. He caters to all needs to ensure that every stay is memorable. He can arrange side trips to any part of the state including houseboat stays. His aim is to make the resort feel like home.
The ayurvedic resort has a full time resident doctor – Dr. Sheela – who is well versed in all aspects of ayurvedic medicine. She has been with the resort for 7 years now, looking after clients. When I arrived she went through an interview process: ailments, conditions, anxieties and the like. She then prescribed treatments which consisted of hour long oil based massages. Essentially special herb infused oils were rubbed in twice a day for an hour each time in my case. She was very attentive throughout my stay.
The food, while strictly vegetarian (no fish, dairy meat) with no luxuries (no chocolate, coffee, tea, etc.) was good and inventive, using as much food as possible from their garden (which was extensive).
I did 2 yoga classes every day of 1 hour each. The yoga master went through the usual positions and then introduced us to new ones every session. He was very knowledgeable and gave personal attention.
Most people who come to Chamundi spend at least 1 week and many several weeks.
The resort features rooms with fans as well as a wireless internet connection 9 for low traffic and casual use).
Highly recommended for anyone looking for a real ayurvedic experience. If you deal with Mr. Jibu directly I am sure that he will make your stay memorable.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo