We unfortunately got to a late start for the crossing due to bad weather around when the cyclone was coming through. We decided to do the hike anyways (even though we were starting around 11am) and we checked our bags at the motel.
We hiked to the red crater and that's when the weather got crappy at the top. We couldn't see anything anymore after a while and everyone that was coming from the other direction said you couldn't even see the emerald pools or anything, so we decided that we'd end our hike there and turn back. :(
Overall we hiked about 6 hours and thought it was still worth it even if we couldn't get to the pools.
**Ps. The weather on the bottom/beginning of the hike is TOTALLY different then the weather on the top. So be prepared! We were sweating at the bottom and then at the top, freezing!
The actual room was very nice. Reminded me of a nice cabin. Plenty of space. Decent bathroom. The breakfast that was included was good. Full hot breakfast. The owners son (who is now taking over) was extremely nice and even helped with making the breakfast. No complaints. We were tired from the hike, so this is just what we needed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hi and Welcome to Adventure National Park. Gillian and John welcome you to their lodge and motel in National Park Village. We cater for families, groups, and the independent traveler. Your choice of deluxe one bedroom units with King size beds, standard studio motel units with Queen Size Beds and private facilities. Our budget lodge rooms with double beds or Twin share, shared bathrooms, lounge and kitchen. Bed and Breakfast options available. Comfortable warm beds, electric blankets, Sky TV in lodge and all units, drying room, Internet and wireless access available, large open fire, Dinner, Breakfast and a packed lunch available. Department of Conservation authorized shuttle to and from the Tongariro Crossing departing daily weather dependent, let us take care of you with our Tongariro Freedom Package. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, Agoda and Hotwire so you can book your Adventure Lodge & Motel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Adventure Hotel Tongariro National Park
- Adventure Lodge And Motel