“Excellent choice”

Adventure Outdoors Tongariro NZ
More attraction details
Owner description: Tongariro Alpine Crossing - The best 1 day Hike in NZ. Adventure Outdoors offers a Personalized Guiding Service - Private & Group Guided Tours available. Tongariro Crossing in Winter A must Do!- Guided Hiking / Walking available Summer & Sunrise NZ Adventure At its best! Flexible time schedules to suit the weather & avoid the crowds. All Gear Equipment is available on all tours.
Reviewed December 11, 2013

We are a family of four with girls 9 & 12 and went rafting with Sarah Cate who owns this company. It was a very positive experience and we'd do it again. Sarah was clearly competent technically details and was very good with our girls. She was attentive to details like everyone being warm and had a good sense for the comfort of each person in our group. We also learned some new things about wildlife, native plants, forest health, the culture of NZ and historical things. All in all it was an excellent experience.

AOT616351, Owner at Adventure Outdoors Tongariro NZ, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

Yes, Thankyou! It sure was a beautiful day, Nice with the rain & sun showers that made the experience a little extra beautiful. Thankyou for joining us on this tour. We hope the rest of your NZ vacation was fun! I hope your views of the mountains were great that next day, Thankyou for your great feedback and taking the time to write a review on our operation. Kindest Regards ! Sarah. PS Luke said Thankyou very much too. :) All the best !

All reviews
"sarah cate"
in 23 reviews
"private tour"
"sunrise tour"
"great company"
in 4 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
"helpful advice"
"amazing experience"
"weather forecast"
"alpine crossing"

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Thank you Sarah, and Sarah, our guides for a fantastic trip!
I would do it again in a heartbeat!
Breathtaking Beauty, a real sense of Adventure and one of the "Must do's" of New Zealand!

AOT616351, Owner at Adventure Outdoors Tongariro NZ, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Hello from us at Adventure Outdoors Tongariro, Thankyou very much for your review ! Both Sarah's are doing well, One of the Sarah's is in Nepal now doing her marathon down Everest!! She will be very fit for Guiding when she gets home :) Myself (The other Sarah) is still here loving the business, Floating down the rivers and Guiding Sunrise Tours on Tongariro for the summer. Tongariro has no snow left now Its all back to summer. Hope all is well in your world, All the best & Kindest Regards Sarah Cate AOTNZ

Reviewed September 9, 2013

I did a winter crossing of Tongariro with Sarah Cate on 2 September. The weather was perfect and the guiding expert. The ice-axe training was professionally done, with both guides ensuring all 13 in the group acquired some basic skills. All in all, excellent value for money - and I would do it again in a heart-beat.

AOT616351, Owner at Adventure Outdoors Tongariro NZ, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2013

Sorry for this late response! & Thankyou very much for your review. I appreciate you took the time. Very good feedback, Its great to know our Ice Axe Training is affective and you view our operation as professional. I appreciate this. I am happy you had a great weather day, Not easy , but when the weather is fine it sure is a stunning day out. Thankyou very much again, If your back through the summer try our Adventure Kayak Experience - Whakapapa River.
All the best! Kindest regards Sarah Cate

Reviewed September 2, 2013

We had booked Sarah Cate for a guided Tongariro Crossing in early July. Unfortunately, the weather did not cooperate - major storms on the mountain increased the avalanche risk, so we were unable to make the Crossing. Sarah offered to call it off at no charge (we were not charged anything ahead of time), or we could still hire her to take us along other walks in the area. We decided to go ahead with a guided trip, since we still wanted to get out and see what we could, despite the rain/snow. I am SO GLAD we did.

Sarah picked us up at Adventure Lodge (also highly recommended), and took us on two different few-hour hikes with a stop at a beautiful lake under Mt. Tongariro for lunch. Along the way she told us all about the local birds and plants - we even learned to recognize a few of the native trees by the end of the day. She told us of Maori legends and history in the area, and told us lovely stories about her life growing up in the area. We never would have known where to go by ourselves based on the weather for the day, nor would we have gotten that much education of the local history and natural bush without her help.

I would highly recommend Sarah/Adventure Outdoors if you're in the area - even in the summer when a guide is not necessary for the Crossing, the added benefit of local knowledge would be worth it. She also offers kayaking trips and other hikes - don't miss the best outdoor adventure experience you can have in this beautiful area full of rich history and natural beauty.

Jill Stokes you are wonderful ! Thankyou so much for your wonderful review. I loved my day out with you both. It was great you took the effort to get out in the park anyway and it paid off as we had such a wonderful day. I appreciate what you wrote in your review, I hold certain values for my business and will stick by them - Those values were noticed by you and when I get an amazing review like yours it keep me going knowing we are doing the right thing in business. I hope everything is going great Jill & Hal. All the best to you both, Thanks again & Kindest regards Sarah Cate

See more reviews
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We booked a full day guided hike to the Tongariro Alpine Crossing with Adventure Outdoors through the Adventure Lodge were we were staying.
Sarah came the evening before and brief us about the crossing, informing us about the weather and the conditions.She gave us advise about the gear we needed and review our material.
She came us on the next morning to pick us from the accommodation at exactly the time agreed and we were part of a group of 9 plus two guides.
They supply all the material you need including waterproofs,boots,crampons and ice axes.
We had a wonderful day and completed the crossing with no problems.We have to use crampons and ice axes on part of the crossing.
Sarah and the other guide showed great knowledge of the area and gave us interesting information all day. Though we were not in great physical shape we manage to finish the hike with some encouragement, including out 10 years daughter who enjoyed every minute of the day.
The walk is amazing and the Volcano was quite active that day with big columns of white steam.

We highly recommend this company for their professionalism,understanding and fun.
Thanks to them we had a great day and learn a lot.

1  Thank isidro c

Thankyou so much for your wonderful review. I loved my day out with the 3 of you. It was great you took the effort to get out into the Tongariro National park. The Tongariro Crossing is a great day out, And not easy! You did well encouraging your girls all day, They did great. I appreciate what you wrote in your review, I hope everything is going great. If your ever here in National park for the summer call in and try our Inflatable Kayaking tours on the Whakapapa Whanganui River. All the best to you all, Thanks again & Kindest regards Sarah Cate