“A wonderful experience with a wonderful guide” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Adventure Outdoors

Adventure Outdoors
More attraction details
Owner description: Tongariro Alpine Crossing - The best 1 day Hike in NZ. Adventure Outdoors offers a Personalised Guiding Service - Private & Group Guided Tours available. Tongariro Crossing in Winter A must Do!- Guided Hiking / Walking available Summer & Sunrise NZ Adventure At its best! Flexible time schedules to suit the weather & avoid the crowds. All Gear Equipment is available on all tours.
Atlanta, GA
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“A wonderful experience with a wonderful guide”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

We had booked Sarah Cate for a guided Tongariro Crossing in early July. Unfortunately, the weather did not cooperate - major storms on the mountain increased the avalanche risk, so we were unable to make the Crossing. Sarah offered to call it off at no charge (we were not charged anything ahead of time), or we could still hire her to take us along other walks in the area. We decided to go ahead with a guided trip, since we still wanted to get out and see what we could, despite the rain/snow. I am SO GLAD we did.

Sarah picked us up at Adventure Lodge (also highly recommended), and took us on two different few-hour hikes with a stop at a beautiful lake under Mt. Tongariro for lunch. Along the way she told us all about the local birds and plants - we even learned to recognize a few of the native trees by the end of the day. She told us of Maori legends and history in the area, and told us lovely stories about her life growing up in the area. We never would have known where to go by ourselves based on the weather for the day, nor would we have gotten that much education of the local history and natural bush without her help.

I would highly recommend Sarah/Adventure Outdoors if you're in the area - even in the summer when a guide is not necessary for the Crossing, the added benefit of local knowledge would be worth it. She also offers kayaking trips and other hikes - don't miss the best outdoor adventure experience you can have in this beautiful area full of rich history and natural beauty.

Visited July 2013
AOT616351, Owner at Adventure Outdoors, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Jill Stokes you are wonderful ! Thankyou so much for your wonderful review. I loved my day out with you both. It was great you took the effort to get out in the park anyway and it paid off as we had such a wonderful day. I appreciate what you wrote in your review, I hold certain values for my business and will stick by them - Those values were noticed by you and when I get an amazing review like yours it keep me going knowing we are doing the right thing in business. I hope everything is going great Jill & Hal. All the best to you both, Thanks again & Kindest regards Sarah Cate

Auckland Region, New Zealand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“what a day on the Tongariro Alpine Crossing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

We booked a full day guided hike to the Tongariro Alpine Crossing with Adventure Outdoors through the Adventure Lodge were we were staying.
Sarah came the evening before and brief us about the crossing, informing us about the weather and the conditions.She gave us advise about the gear we needed and review our material.
She came us on the next morning to pick us from the accommodation at exactly the time agreed and we were part of a group of 9 plus two guides.
They supply all the material you need including waterproofs,boots,crampons and ice axes.
We had a wonderful day and completed the crossing with no problems.We have to use crampons and ice axes on part of the crossing.
Sarah and the other guide showed great knowledge of the area and gave us interesting information all day. Though we were not in great physical shape we manage to finish the hike with some encouragement, including out 10 years daughter who enjoyed every minute of the day.
The walk is amazing and the Volcano was quite active that day with big columns of white steam.

We highly recommend this company for their professionalism,understanding and fun.
Thanks to them we had a great day and learn a lot.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank isidro c
Thankyou so much for your wonderful review. I loved my day out with the 3 of you. It was great you took the effort to get out into the Tongariro National park. The Tongariro Crossing is a great day out, And not easy! You did well encouraging your girls all day, They did great. I appreciate what you wrote in your review, I hope everything is going great. If your ever here in National park for the summer call in and try our Inflatable Kayaking tours on the Whakapapa Whanganui River. All the best to you all, Thanks again & Kindest regards Sarah Cate
Chichester
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Kayaking adventure in Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

Sarah picked us up from our backpackers. There were four of us paying kayakers, Sarah and her partner Luke, so there was a very good instructor/participator ratio. Kitted out with wetsuit, buoyancy aid and helmet, we arrived at the start of the adventure - a rocky launching spot on the Whakapapa River. Then we set out on an 11 km paddle down a succession of white water rapids through a pristine and beautiful gorge which opened out to a valley. Each rapid was exciting, often exhilarating, but never scary; Sarah is a very experienced kayaker and leader who was able to evaluate our own levels and gave assistance and encouragement where needed. Aided by snacks and a refreshment break, we arrived, after about three hours of paddling, at our pick up point.

This was a first rate experience, with a high level of personal care and attention. Sarah takes a pride in offering her clients an exciting and individual trip. It was also unique in offering a guided paddle on the Whakapapa River, the only operator who can do this. We met no-one, except for three fishermen, on the whole journey.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Chifevva
Thankyou so much for your wonderful review. I'm glad you loved your day! The Whakapapa River is beautiful , The Inflatable Kayaks are perfect for this adventure. Thankyou for joining us for the day. I'm glad you felt safe!!! I appreciate what you wrote in your review, I hold certain values for my business and pride ourselves in running a safe / fun & friendly operation. It is nice to be noticed for this and when I get an amazing review like yours it keep me going knowing we are doing the right thing in business.All the best , Thanks again & Kindest regards Sarah Cate