“Good base to explore from”

Tongariro Holiday Park
Reviewed March 9, 2014

This site had great facilities, especially the new showers, and the location is ideal for walking the day Tongariro Crossing hike. The kitchen gets really busy, as does the site as a whole, but we'd still recommend staying.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

I can totally agree with the comments below on the behaviour of the owners. They abuse their position of being one of the only holiday parks in the area and deliver poor service. The so called 'new' shower facilities are falling apart already. The kitchen is way too small for the entire campsite. They aren't fond of the 'younger crowd'. And you won't be able to fresh up after you did the alpine crossing, it would be such a plus if you could.
My advice, stock up on food and water and stay at the DOC campsite. Enjoy Tongariro, beautiful area!!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank yesgoodcoffee
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

My cousin and I have been backpacking all around New Zealand and we have stayed at MANY holiday parks, including DOC sites and this is by far the WORST experience we had both ever had. We drove from napier to the tongariro national park to stay at the holiday park so we could wake up early and hike the tongariro Alpine crossing. We left napier later than we had wanted bc we had met some friends and you know how that goes. We showed up around 1030p and there was no note on the front door about how to handle "late arrivals" as all other campsites usually have. It said "office closed at 8p" and "only ring bell in case of emergency. So my cousin and I assumed we would pay in the morning before the hike as we left, and we headed into the park and parked in the back. There was plenty of room but it was dark. We started packing our day packs for the hike the next day and I wandered around to find bathrooms. I found the bathrooms but on the way I was followed by a man, no flashlight. I crossed paths with him again outside the bathroom and then when I got back to my van he walks up behind us and says "have you checked in?" And turned on his flashlight and shined it at us and then our windshield. And we said "no the front desk wasn't open for us to do so and it said only ring for emergency." He replied with "yes that's because we are CLOSED. And if you had rang the bell I would have been very angry." I was very surprised at his bluntness and anger. I apologized and said "we were going to pay in the morning, like we do at the other parks." He said "well what time are you leaving?" I said "we are hiking the tongariro crossing in the morning so 7:30...8?" And he says angrily "well we don't open until 8:30, so you were just gonna park here and not pay?" My cousin steps in and says "we can pay you now if that's ok?" And I add "I have cash, we can pay." He replies with "this is private property and you are trespassing." So I reiterate and say "well we can pay you OR we can leave, which do you want?" And he says he will take the money so we pay and he leaves. He comes back with my $4 in change and a pamphlet about the hike. I was infuriated. He was beyond rude. literally ALL other campsites let you park if you come in late and then you pay on the way out. If the tongariro holiday park has a lot of people who show up late and leave early they should have an overnight front desk person. Instead of having him skulk around and be incredibly rude to people who just want to sleep, he should man the front desk so we can pay to get in. And HELLO the tongariro buses run 6:30a, 7:30a, and 8:30a. WHY would you not open until 8:30a, obviously people need to leave before then. I will NEVER stay there again, I will drive 40km back into taurangi and stay at the kiwi park instead. I will also never recommend it, actually I will recommend that people stay elsewhere. Oh and there are a ridiculous amounts of bugs there: we were using our headlamps in the van with the doors open and when we shut the doors and laid down there was hundreds of little bugs on our ceiling, AND in the kitchen the people who cooked a late dinner had had the lights on AND the door open. There were literally thousands of bugs flying around. It was quite terrifying. In the morning my laptop which I had charged in there had weird giant moths on it. It was GROSS. Also in the kitchen it said "thou shalt not steal, god is watching" and god was crossed out and the name GREG was written. That may have been funny to them, but I'm assuming Greg is the jerk who scolded us and threatened us when we arrived. For travelers, avoid this holiday park like the plague literally- plagues of bugs, and for the owners of the park- fire that man who greeted us, he has no tact and is incredibly rude. Also to the owners, you should have staff at the front desk at night, that way people who drive for hours and show up late and just want to sleep so they can hike in the morning can do so. You're a part of the tongariro alpine crossing, you should already have something like this in place! Terrible, awful, disgusting place. Go elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2014
8  Thank Klupian
Reviewed February 9, 2014

my partner and I arrived late after a 6 hour drive after work to the holiday park, only to be greeted by a very upset and rude staff member who then proceeded to scold us for driving our car in so late (11.30), then stormed off.

The next morning upon checking out we told another staff member about our encounter with the rude staff member the previous night, admitting and apologizing for coming in so late, only to be told and I quote "you're lucky I didn't come out there, you would've been back out the gates"

Just no need for the kind of hostel attitude from people that are meant to be in hospitality, Only good thing about this place was its location but would strongly recommend elsewhere

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
7  Thank BradleyMB89
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Very helpful & friendly staff! Basic and cheap rooms. Ablution block is under renovation. Shared kitchen small, crowded and very few pans and utensils (stolen?).

Best for Tongariro Crossing. Fantastic transport and support!

We enjoyed our stay and will go again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Arrived in November with our small campervan. Desk was very helpful and we found a spot on the field snuggled in with all the other campers. The washrooms and showers were fine. Showers were newly renovated. The common room was uninspired. If I was spending a rainy day here I would have been disappointed. BUT this Holiday Park is located at the edge of the National park, so my guess is that people don't just "hang around".
Kitchen was good. There did not seem to be much in the way of pots or pans or cooking utensils. But we were self-contained so it did not really matter.
Skipped the internet because we thought it was a little pricey.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

A bit disappointed by out stay... You have to bring absolutely everything as there isn't linen,and "someone had stolen the pots and pans" in the shared kitchen,which mean we were carrying over 20kg of luggage for only 2 nights... Toilets and bathroom are alright, not the cleanest (shared btw) but good pressure and hot water. DO NOT USE the hot tub,it is absolutely gross and the jets are not working.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
#1 of 9 in National Park Village
Tongariro Adventures
Tongariro Adventures
#4 of 9 in Tongariro National Park

Been to Tongariro Holiday Park? Share your experiences!