“Great bird sanctuary”

$237.49*
and up
Full-Day Waitomo Caves and Kiwi House Tour from Auckland including Lunch
More attraction details
Owner description: Since 1971 the Otorohanga Kiwi House and Native Bird Park has been helping to save New Zealand`s national icon, the Kiwi bird. The Kiwi House is a not-for-profit organisation; all proceeds help support conservation projects. We guarantee that visitors will always see Kiwi, plus the largest private collection of native birds and reptiles in NZ.We are just 15 minutes from the world famous Waitomo Caves and 2.5 hours south of Auckland.
Hamilton, New Zealand
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Great bird sanctuary”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 29, 2012

A must if you are near Otorohanga. Just one big bird sanctuary with New Zealand's own wild life birds, such as the wood Pigeon, tui, and of course, the Kiwi. Big Bird walk through so you can get to see the wild life up close and personal.

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Brentwood, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worth a visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2012

We stopped here on our way back from Waitomo caves and really enjoyed it. Its not fancy or over the top but just a simple place but we really enjoyed it and seeing the Kiwi there was lovely as it was really set up well.

Worth a visit if you have for a few hours!

Caloundra, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“the only place to see a kiwi!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2012

We really appreciated the staff and volunteers enthusiam and friendliness, only downside voracious mossies but just spray up and don't let them put you off

Toyokawa, Japan
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Kiwi attacks the keeper?!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2012

I arrived there when they were just about to start feeding Kea and Kaka. Kindly, the lady at the counter took me straight to the Kea aviary through the back door, saving me from walking all the way round to get there. The keeper let me feed a Kaka, and it was amazing to be so close to the beautiful bird. Apart from Kiwi, Kea and Kaka, they had a wide variety of wild birds. It took me about an hour to walk around the park. I had to spend another one hour in the park because I wanted to see the kiwi feeding. There's no cafe, so I just walked around the park again. Anyway, it was worth waiting. I've been to a couple of places where I could see a kiwi, but I'd never seen one so active!! This one kiwi started to attack the keeper as soon as she was in its pen!! It kept kicking and pecking at her and it wouldn't let go of her even when she was leaving. I know the kiwi was fighting really hard, but it was just hilarious to watch. I couldn't help laughing!!

If you're going to Kiwi House, you cannot miss the kiwi feeding. I highly recommend it.

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Interesting and beautiful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2012

Lots of big cages, which seems to fit well in the natural environment of the animals. Friendly people. We d go again and we re happy with our choice to go to the Kiwi house instead of the glowworm caves!