“lovely, homely stay”
Review of Kamahi Cottage

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Otorohanga
Kamahi Cottage
Ranked #1 of 4 Otorohanga B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Singapore, Singapore
“lovely, homely stay”
Reviewed February 27, 2012

Our one-night stay at Kamahi Cottage in December last year was arranged by Luxury Vacations NZ, and we couldn't have been more grateful for the arrangement!

First, having a part of the country side and a warm, lovely cottage to ourselves was something we've never experienced before. The view was amazing, and the cottage itself cosy and self-sufficient.

Liz was a warm host, not to mention a great chef! Having a sumptuous dinner at the end of a long day of driving was a definite welcome. My fiance and I were naturally shy people, so we opted to have dinner and breakfast at the privacy of the cottage - which Liz also readily accommodated with a smile.

We had a thoroughly enjoyable stay and it was a pity we only stayed one night. Thanks very much Liz! :)

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Elisabeth C, Owner at Kamahi Cottage, responded to this review, March 7, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind review. It was lovely to have you to stay and I'm so glad we made you feel welcome here.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
new york
Reviewed February 22, 2012

My husband and I stayed our first night in New Zealand at the Kamahi Cottage, and we couldn't have chosen any better. Still a little dazed from our trip, Liz was the perfect host to get us acquainted with the area and New Zealand. Generous and incredibly hospitable, Liz was a great introduction to the country! The amenities and single-occupancy cottage were top-notch; we were very comfortable!
At night, we were delighted to join Liz, her husband Evan and his brother, who happened to be visiting, for dinner. Liz's cooking was delicious and we instantly felt welcomed. By the end of the night, we felt we had met new friends. I'm so sorry we don't live closer!
In the morning, we had a wonderful breakfast and were so warmed by the help and advice Liz and Evan shared. Thank you!!
Our biggest regret was not staying another night- you must stay at least two nights!! Make sure not to miss out on Liz's dinner, either - you won't want to leave the beautiful cottage at night once you arrive.

Room Tip: There is only one cottage for the pair - you'll have the beautiful grounds and Liz all to yourse...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Elisabeth C, Owner at Kamahi Cottage, responded to this review, February 23, 2012
Your company and conversation were great. It was totally our pleasure to meet you both. Thanks for the lovely photos too...
Wales
Reviewed February 22, 2012

Our only regret was being there for just one night! Kamahi Cottage is idylic in every way - with the friendly hospitality of Liz and Evan truly heartwarming. We cannot praise this lodge enough.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
We loved meeting you..it was too short. Thank you for your support.
Reviewed January 31, 2012

The location was outstanding and the hospitality of the owners was fabulous. Friendly and cheerful. We even had Bag pipes playing for entertainment
The breakfast was delicious, the gardens and the views from the property are beautiful
TV reception and WiFi was below average.

Room Tip: Upstairs bedroom is very comfortable. The downstairs couch was difficult to sleep on
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Elisabeth C, Owner at Kamahi Cottage, responded to this review, February 5, 2012
Thanks so much for your feedback - unfortunately the TV reception and Wi-Fi quality are currently beyond our control. Once NZ has rolled out its ultra-fast broadband programme, we'll also be able to offer the sort of speeds you enjoy overseas...
Providence, Rhode Island, United States
Reviewed January 30, 2012

We arrived at the cottage as our first official stop in NZ on our 3 week honeymoon.

If we could have stayed all 3 weeks there, we would have. It's that good. I'll do my best to explain why, but please understand, its a daunting task as there's so much to love about the place.

We arrived tired if invigorated thanks to the amazing NZ roads. Barley more than a 1/4 mile straight line once off the highway. Every bend brought new views- blue sky, greeeeeen grass and peaceful cows and sheep enjoying the midday sun.

With the bar set high from the beauty of the drive in, we were in no way prepared for the the floral wonderland that awaited us.

Just as you turn into the driveway to the cottage, you feel as though the flowers have taken over, and that you're heading into a tunnel of beautiful blossoms. You realize that there's no possible way to actually drive up without letting the flowers caress your vehicle on the way up the drive.

As you pull around to the cottage you look out onto a swaying cornfield, and he rolling green hills you ventured up to get to your currently location.

Slowly it dawns on you, you can't see the master house of the property, even though it's located 150 meters from the cottage. It's hidden by rows of lillys, lemon trees, callilillys - a child's crayon box of color simply envelops the property, and allows guests to feel like they're on a private estate miles from anyone else.

The cottage is a model of comfort through intentional editing- chaise lounges, hammock chairs and a deck invite you to relax outside, while the afternoon light streaming in through the large southwestern windows persuade you to relax in the living area and nap on the beautiful cool white leather couch. Your host will have likely left out an afternoon treat for you to snack on, perhaps a small cake or some cookies. A lemon picked from the lemon tree finds its way into your gin and tonic and you start to look forward to the dinner that awaits you later that evening- either in private in the cottage, or with your hosts, Liz and Evan, at their table in the main house.

They're fantastic company, conversation flows easily, with the feeling that the night will be over too soon- like seeing long lost friends, you regret not having made more time to visit.

And the food. Oh god, the food. Liz could, and should, make a cookbook- from the table settings, to the presentation to the taste, everything is flavorful, well presented, and just as you'd hope. We were fortunate enough to have a beautiful steak, with tender potatoes and broiled ruby red sweet tomatoes our first night, a breakfast of fresh fruit, poached and scrambled eggs with fresh herbs the next morning, and fantastic coffee. That night, we dined on rustic chicken pot pies with perfectly cooked veggies and some of the family schnapps- plum, peach, and anise. Our final breakfast consisted of perfect waffles with a strawberry and rhubarb compote, local honey and homemade (from their garden!) jams.

As we left, Liz wrapped a loaf of homemade crusty ciabatta to see us off.

I am ready to begin the formal adoption process and join their family. ;-)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
We loved having you to stay - all adoption requests happily accepted!
London
Reviewed January 18, 2012

Everything was wonderful and Liz was a delight. The breakfast was exceptional -- as good as any we've had in 5-star hotels. We definitely recommend.

Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Elisabeth C, Owner at Kamahi Cottage, responded to this review, January 20, 2012
Thank you! i hope you enjoyed the rest of your NZ holiday.
Palmerston North, New Zealand
Reviewed January 12, 2012

I had such exciting plans to go and stay at the cottage but by the time I actually arrived I was sick. Liz met me at the 'fall out of the car' stage and never stopped 'mothering' me with treats, compassion and offers of help. She gave me my space and only popped up to bring me the most amazing meals and see if I needed anything. The day I arrived I had the morroccan chicken and cous cous and I swear it literally melted in my mouth and I instantly felt better. The views were awesome and the cottage was spic and span and I wanted for nothing...peace, privacy and 100% comitment to my comfort and care.

Thank you Liz you are an angel and I will be back again this time when I am well.

Kind regards

Kerry Queenin
Solicitor
Palmerston North

Room Tip: Whole cottage is bright, clean and peaceful with a fabulous feel to it and a quick drive to many fun...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
I'm so glad you are better. I'm really looking forward to seeing you again sometime when you feel heaps better.....
Also consider these accommodations in or near Otorohanga
Woodlyn Park
Waitomo Boutique Lodge
Waitomo Boutique Lodge
#2 of 5 in Te Kuiti
Otorohanga and Waitomo Motels

Been to Kamahi Cottage? Share your experiences!