“Wonderful Setting and Pretty Decent Food”

Roselands Waitomo Caves
Cuisines: Barbecue, Bar, New Zealand
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Buffet, Reservations
Description: Roselands is New Zealand's first Qualmarked restaurant visitor experience. Roselands offers premium meat portions cooked on the BBQ just how you like it with a buffet of fresh home-made salads, sauces, bread and rice. A dessert buffet of home-made traditional New Zealand cookies and our ever popular carrot cake are available afterwards with tea and coffee. Roselands can accommodate anywhere from 1-300 persons in one sitting. Specialising in large group catering but walk-ins are most welcome. Offering fast and efficient service is our goal. You are able to begin your meal as soon as you walk in, or you can enjoy the experience of the BBQ with the BBQ chefs and interact with them as they cook your meat order. Roselands provides a genuinely New Zealand BBQ experience in a little slice of New Zealand paradise. Surrounded by nature and farm land Roselands is something that little bit different for a unique dining experience. Get back to nature while you are here and enjoy exploring the bush paths and award-winning gardens. Plenty of bird watching opportunities or get up-close and pet the friendly farm animals.
Reviewed April 4, 2013

As other reviewers have mentioned Roselands is in a beautiful setting and the views are wonderful as you approach - especially on a clear night close to sunset. There are lots of animals on the grounds, including an Angora rabbit in the store. The hosts are very friendly and accommodating. The "buffet" is pricey but less so than other restaurants in the area. What is offered is a main dish of steak, chicken or mussels. I had steak and my husband had the chicken. The chicken was the best (a wonderful marinade) and it was a great portion. The other items were served buffet style and you could enjoy as much as you wanted. There was a spicy spaghetti that was out of this world, a nice salad with homegrown tomatoes, bread and butter, scalloped potatoes and other dishes that I was to full to enjoy. For dessert there is coffee, tea and small cakes and brownies. The brownies were very dense and chocolaty - absolutely delicious. We felt we got our moneys worth and had a very nice, quiet evening in a wonderful atmosphere.

1  Thank AGoingGal
There are newer reviews for Roselands Waitomo Caves

Reviewed March 11, 2013

My wife and I had a meal here after comming across it one late afternoon. We were charged $30 per person for a choice of either chicken, steak or fish. My wife had the chicken and I had the steak. These were cooked on a BBQ by the owner which was ok but the choice of items from the so called "Buffett" was not at all worth the price we paid. I was always of the asumption that a buffett was an all you can eat style of dinning with many food options. There were also flies hanging around the salads. There were maybe 5 or 6 choices of sides that were not really that appealing. The dessert consisted of a small piece of carrott cake some biscuts and a few bits of fruit.

The gardens are lovely but wouldn't go for the food.

1  Thank Angels_Are_Devious
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Have just had a lovely dinner at Roselands Restaurant. A group of us went out for our final meeting of the year and enjoyed the wonderful views of the Valley and a beautiful meal. BBQed Chicken, Steak, Fish or Mussels and really yummy salads and home made sauces and bread. This was followed by Carrot Cake, choice of fruit and delicious homemade biscuits. Our waitress was delightful and nothing was to much trouble and the manager made us feel very welcome. We will certainly be returning to this gem in the valley.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

If you've never seen Angora rabbits being sheared, this is the place to go!!! The rabbits are cute and the shearing process is funny and gentle. Rest assure, no rabbits were harmed in the process! This place is a family/ kid's paradise!!! There are pigs, goats, sheep... and to top it off, a buffet restaurant!! Well worth a visit!!!!!

Reviewed August 21, 2012

Visiting this restaurant was easily one of the BEST things we did in New Zealand. My wife and I were waiting for our night tour of the Waitomo Caves to see the Glow Worms, and had 2 problems: 1. we were hungry, and 2. we needed to find something to do, that didn't feel like we were wasting precious hours of our New Zealand trip. I can truthfully say that going to Roselands more than solved both of those problems for us. While we were at the Waitomo Caves Info centered we randomly ran into Lee, the owner, and he over heard us discussing where to go for food, and he said to come on by, have some food and meet the animals on the grounds. When we were on our way up to the restaurant we really didn't know what to expect, because it kind of felt out of the way, but trust me when I say its more than worth it. I don't want to go into every detail of our experience because I don't want to set anyone's expectations too high, but in summary: we loved the food, the atmosphere, the setting, meeting and talking with Lee, and spending time with the animals. The scones were the best I've ever had, and all the cookies were excellent,