“Memorable for all the right reasons”

Spellbound Glowworm & Cave Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Our tours are friendly, informative and fun. With no more than 12 people on board, raft beneath many thousands of fabulous glowworms to see them at their very best. We visit private caves away from the regular, more commercial tours. Our caves are on a beautiful hill country farm and your guide is also your host, so expect a really enjoyable and memorable tour of our two magical caves.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Our tour with Spellbound was in November 2013. I have just looked again at the photos of that trip and decided I really must write a review even though there are so many other positive reviews already. It was because of the many excellent reviews that we decided to go with Spellbound rather than the tours that most people do. We really enjoyed everything - from the interesting commentary in the vehicle on the way to the starting point, learning to appreciate what is really darkness, then seeing so many lights, the boat ride, walking in the caves - it was all very special. If you are wondering whether you should take this tour or do the one with the crowds, do this one where you know that there are no more than about 12 of you. It means you can hear what the guide says and you can ask questions. It makes you part of the experience not just a number. Take the time after your tour to eat at the Weta Cafe but book before your tour to ensure you will have a table if it is for an evening meal. It will finish off a rewarding day.

1  Thank BribieLiz
Write a ReviewReviews (1,204)

Reviewed March 27, 2014

Had a great experience on our Spellbound tour! Our guide Norm has been caving since his teens and REALLY knows his stuff!

I appreciated that Spellbound emailed us professionally taken pictures of the caves because it's extremely hard to get great pictures in there, even with a top notch camera.

Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

Having gone through the touristy Waitomo Cave (and not quite enjoying the experience) years ago, I was wary about doing another glow worm cave excursion. What I read in TA changed my mind, and I am really glad and thankful for the experience.

There were 11 of us in the group, and we had Norm as our guide. Through an icebreaking session (pretty unusual considering this was only a short trip), we discovered we were from diverse locations and professions. Norm spoke to us with passion and enthusiasm, and we were drawn at once into his world. Words cannot express the wonder I felt, sitting inside the boat in silence and appreciating both the light emitted by the glow worms and the darkness which encompassed us. It was truly an experience I would cherish for the rest of my life.

The other parts of the tour was no less interesting. Having a cuppa and chatting about anything under the sun, taking a stroll along the countryside, visiting the dry cave with its stalactites and stalagmites, and listening to one of our tour members sing a lovely aria inside the cavern.... all these combine to make this tour a super special one.

This is certainly a highlight of our North Island trip, one which will fill my heart with a special glow for a long time to come. If you only have time to do one cave, make sure you do this tour and you are sure to be spellbound as I was.

1  Thank travelbugPJ
Reviewed March 18, 2014

How to describe this trip? amazing, awesome, spellbinding, magical... we loved it. Our guide was friendly and knowledgeable. The caves were more than we expected. Highly recommend it to anyone.

Reviewed March 17, 2014

We looked at this trip before leaving the UK and found it easy to book when we arrived in the area. It did not disappoint. We had a wonderful experience, which will be a highlight of our trip to NZ. Hophepa (Hop) was a brilliant, knowledgeable guide who made the trip a very special experience. The chance to travel in the darkness along the cave looking at these fabulous creatures will be unforgettable. What was great was the sense of not being hurried at any point. Coffee and biscuits and our trip to the "dry" cave were equally memorable. We have had a great day and will always remember it.