“Great trip!”

Spellbound Glowworm & Cave Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Our tours are friendly, informative and fun. With no more than 12 people on board, raft beneath many thousands of fabulous glowworms to see them at their very best. We visit private caves away from the regular, more commercial tours. Our caves are on a beautiful hill country farm and your guide is also your host, so expect a really enjoyable and memorable tour of our two magical caves.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I came from Rotorua for the day to do this tour on my 40th birthday. It was a really nice tour of two caves, with afternoon tea and a hill walk. Our tour guide was friendly and informative. I loved the boat ride, it was mesmerising! What a special experience, thank you.

2  Thank kiwi-takes-flight
There are newer reviews for Spellbound Glowworm & Cave Tours

Reviewed March 12, 2013

What a wonderful experience! My husband and I loved it. We had an informative guide, with a wonderful sense of humor and a lot of knowledge about the local history and geology. The boat ride was fantastic, there were only 5 of us in the group and we had a great time together. Norm, thanks for a memorable experience!!

1  Thank Noah-Amanda
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Before we got to Waitomo we were going on the more commercialised cave tour, and then we found "Spellbound" boy were we glad we did this one, we had 8 in our group and had an awesome time our guide "Hoppy" was the best, very informative, knowledgeable , and fun, the time flew past as we were having a great time, would recommend spellbound to anyone, it's a must do. 10/10. Thanks "Spellbound". We even got tea, coffee, hot chocolate and biscuits, awesome.

1  Thank Tinshed21
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Our B&B owner recommended this and it was certainly worth the money. Other guests had done the more widely advertised Waitomo Cave tour, which is very much on the tourist trail and had been very disappointed - large group, rushed through and very 'touristy'.
Our trip was in a small group (no more than 12) and we were given plenty of time to explore the caves and enjoy the wonderful experience of floating on a lake under a ceiling covered in glow worms.
Magical!

1  Thank Gaynor E
Reviewed March 10, 2013

As a budget-conscious traveller I wasn't sure if this price was going to be worth it, especially since I would be doing a trip from Taupo to the caves and then onto Rotorua, which is a bit of a detour. But I was blown away, and the three and a quarter hour trip was just simply out of this world. I had "Hop" as our guide, and we were just about 12 people on the 2pm tour. The tour consists of two cave visits divided by a nice tea and coffee break. The first tour is the glowworm one, where you spend half your time walking around and another half on a raft. I did note that the tour consisted of folks who were a bit older than me, so it's certainly a baby-boomer-age-friendly tour, though as a mid-20s person who doesn't have much interest in abseiling or tubing, this turned out to be perfect. Just know that you will be unprepared for the views and the experience, and don't even hesitate about joining Spellbound. It's one of those things I wouldn't mind doing again, which is saying a lot for a $73 tour. I just wish I had one of these caves in my back yard.

1  Thank truediarist