“Terrific experience”

Waitomo Caves Guest Lodge
Reviewed February 17, 2008

We stayed two nights and were very pleased with our room - great value for the money and with Colin and Janet's helpfulness and advice. Janet even took us and two others for the nighttime glow worm walk as we were still feeling a bit cautious about night time driving. So glad we stayed with them and so glad we stayed for 2 nights. There is a fabulous new restaurant that opened up across the street. Expensive but worth it - go there!

• Stayed: January 2008

Reviewed February 13, 2008

We booked for one night through the local I-Site (tourist board) and found Colin and Janet brilliant hosts. Nothing was too much trouble - and it was the little things that made it extra special. Like Colin's homemade biscuits in the room and the lovely homemade marmalade at breakfast. We were only staying for one night but got the best room with a fantastic view. Thank you Colin and Janet!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 2, 2008

We stayed for a night only though.We find Colin and Janet to be very good host. When I see their self contained units, I feel at home instantly. I will definitely recommend my friends
to stay. Colin gives good advise. Their place is very well kept
and u can be sure to be surrounded with many beautiful flowers which they have well taken care of.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 2, 2007

My husband and I stayed here for two nights at the end of our stay in New Zealand. The Lodge is a great mix of a hotel and bed and breakfast. The rooms were self-contained and had full sized sinks which was a nice change from other places we stayed at. Colin is a great host with lots of advice (and maps!) about the area and he didn't mind us checking in rather late. There is plenty of room for parking if you are driving into town, alternatively we met lots of people who had taken the bus there. Breakfast was good, I was worried about how filling it would be but had no problems filling up on granola, fruit and yogurt. Colin and his wife will bring hot toast to your table.
We decided to go to Waitomo Caves for the Lost World Epic Adventure (through Waitomo Adventures) which I HIGHLY recommend. Absolutely the most amazing thing we did in New Zealand with an all day abseiling and caving adventure followed by a great bbq.
I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 16, 2007

This is THE place to stay in Waitomo! We absolutely loved it! It was our first night in New Zealand and we slept like logs! The rooms were fine and provided a good view of the countryside. Best of all, the owner - Collin - was fantastic. He was very friendly and helpful, and provided us with many great recommendations for much of our travel on the North Island. A wealth of knowledge.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 7, 2007

While travelling around NZ we were worried that because this was at the lower end of our budget that the accommodation might be basic but we were nicely surprised.Lovely large en suite bedroom, super knowledgable hosts(Colin/Janet).Good breakfasts and laundry facilities if required.Recommend.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 12, 2007

I stayed at the Guest Lodge for three nights at the end of February 2007. The units are a collection of self-contained small cottages, located directly across from the hosts' house at the top of a short (but rather steep) driveway. The location, which is right next to the small grocery store, was perfect for me, as I didn't have a car and needed to be within walking distance of the local sights and dining options. My unit had two very comfortable single beds, a small but perfectly adequate bathroom (with a shower stall, not a bathtub), and (unusual for New Zealand) window screens on all but one of the windows. (I am told that one naked window has a screen on order, which should be installed in the not-too distant future). There is a washer and dryer (as well as laundry lines with clothespins) and a refrigerator and grill available for guests' use: very nice, especially since the evening dining options in Waitomo are distinctly limited! The included breakfast features cold cereals, yoghurt, toast, and a variety of fresh and preserved fruits.

Colin and Janet were wonderful hosts. The bus I came in on arrived mid-morning, and they allowed me to store my luggage with them until my room was ready while I checked out the caves. Colin had lots of tips on local attractions, and helped me find a nice location from which to stargaze. I'd happily stay with them again!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled solo