All reviews grand old lady old world charm historic hotel open fire old school character history ghost chandeliers spas maori adventure
Reviewed August 25, 2018

Hubby and I spent 2 night here in August 2018 and loved it. Although it is obviously dated and in need of some serious TLC, the ambience of this historic hotel was far greater than website photo's conveyed. If you book and arrive expecting perfection go somewhere else for it is the imperfections and quirkiness of this place that make it so different and leaves us wanting to return again, soon. By way of a misunderstanding we landed up staying in room 12A (13 a number hotels do not like to use) for the first night - one of two of their Deluxe King rooms. Very specious, comfortable seating and table, and glorious sleep except I was awakened by rustling noises coming from the en-suite bathroom, creaking floorboards between the bathroom and our bedroom, and the cupboard doors opening - twice - during the night. Huge balcony but unfortunately the beautiful wrought iron tabletop had not been wiped down for yonks so we didn't use it. Also empty flowerpots looked so very sad in this otherwise great space. After a truly fabulous "big breakfast" - compliments to the chef by the way - we were moved to room 16 (which we thought we had booked). A smaller space with no seating and table, and a smaller balcony but with a prettier (bush setting) view, and, a slightly larger bathroom. Here, early hours of the morning, I was sleeping lightly and lying on my "good ear" (hard of hearing in the other) when I heard a woman speaking ... as if to my husband (on his side of the bed). She was absolutely IN our room, not in the passageway or one of the rooms nearby. As I turned to face my husband's side of the bed she stopped talking. Pity I did not hear what she said but this experience quite shook me. Not knowing anything about the haunted reputation of this hotel, I mentioned my experiences to the charming receptionist before checking out and she told me that room 12A is "the most haunted" while rooms 16 and 14 are also known for their ghostly activity and sightings. Fantastic place all round with stunning Jacuzzi's that we enjoyed on both nights. Fabulously friendly and helpful staff - same aforementioned receptionist kindly readied the Jacuzzi for us on the second night - and we're only sorry the restaurant with its Indian chef did not have curry on its menu because we would have stayed in and had dinner on the second night rather than drive through to the curry restaurant at Castle 91, Otorohanga. Our opinion is well worth the money, comfortable stay, great breakfast, and all with touches of quirkiness and spirituality we did not expect.

Room tip: Ask for bush facing with balcony access
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank liannemylie
Reviewed August 21, 2018 via mobile

Such a beautiful building. It would definitely be 3 stars in terms of comfort but 10 in terms of experience. We stayed in one of the triple rooms which had a large king and a single bed. The room had been renovated and was comfortable enough. Small fridge, electric blanket and small electric heater, coffee / tea making facilities etc.

I have read a lot of reviews saying they should restore the hotel but that process would be sure to take away from its charm. I’m so glad I got to experience it in its current form. Not many places like it!

Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed August 19, 2018

I organised a car rally and the Waitomo Caves Hotel was our final destination for 55 people to have dinner and spend the night.
The staff are amazing and I would like to thank Corinne for organising everything and being my point of contact for the last 9 months, answering every question I had (and I had a few!) and I would like to say a massive, massive thank you to Jo, Sue and Rangi who made our event run smoothly from start to finish. Nothing was too much trouble and everything was done with a smile.
The food was first class and I received so many comments on what a great spread it was, and the beds are super comfortable!
Thank you Waitomo Caves Hotel - you rock!!

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed July 27, 2018

We stayed here for one night in July 2018. We got lucky and got room 1, which is on the ground floor and has french doors that open up to a small landing leading to the parking lot, which was so convenient for unloading and loading the car. The beds are very comfortable, and everything in the room was just what we needed. It is definitely an older hotel so don't expect a ton of amenities, but it has everything you need and is comfortable and quaint. I traveled with my husband and a friend, and we noted that the bathroom situation was a little awkward for friends as the sliding door leaves a slight gap between the wall and door. But other than that, everything was great and I would definitely stay here again.

Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed July 24, 2018

I loved this hotel; my girlfriend hated it: probably because I have a Ph.D. in history, and she has a Ph.D. in complaining. The hotel was built in 1908 and feels like it was a hip-hopping place in the 1920s. As a historian, I LOVED sleeping in history. Walking through the halls, I imagined all the flapper parties that must have occurred here.

In addition to being old, it was empty. We arrived at 11am and no one--guest or staff--could be found anyone. At 7:30 we went to the restaurant for dinner, but it closed 15 minutes earlier because no one came. When we checked out, only four cars were in the parking lot. As someone who loves creepy things, this hotel tickled me. It resembles the hotel from The Shining.

Perhaps I'm eccentric, but I hope this hotel survives another 100 years. Support historical preservation and stay here.

Room tip: History buffs will love
Date of stay: July 2018