“Kiwi Experience”
Review of Kiwi Paka

Kiwi Paka
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Waitomo Caves
Reviewed December 10, 2013

All in all it was a really good place to stay. We stayed in the lodge in 4 person rooms. The facilities and location were really good; there was a games room with TV and pool table and a large kitchen with big dining area, in the main area by reception there was a restaurant and bar.
The rooms had 4 single beds however mine was broken as was my bedside lamp.
The Bathroom was pretty average however in the girls they only had 2 toilets and 2 showers for the whole 13 room floor.
Crockery and cutlery had to be rented out with a $10 refundable deposit pp.
The glowworm caves nearby are definitely a stop to see. The black water rafting company pick you up from your accommodation and once there you have a choice of rafting in a rubber ring down gentle streams in underground caves, abseiling around the underground caves or combining the two.
Internet was pretty diabolical however i'm not sure but that may have been my luck with Global Gossip i tried the dedicated phone to contact their customer service but the connection was practically non existent, however despite feeling like i'd wasted money on the internet the management refunded me my internet fee. I couldn't say about bad word about their staff.
Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 16, 2013

Lovely place, lots of beautiful scenary around, stayed for two nights with my boyfriend, we are travelling around nz, the staff are real friendly, the food at the cafe is good, the pizzas are amazing and huge, great for a overnight or two night stop perfect to see the caves and anything else you may want to see :)

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Ah. This hostel was more of what I had expected to come across on my travels. I was in a four bed dorm room and the thing that made dislike this hostel was the smell of the room. It had a mildew smell that lingered and assaulted your nose every time you walked into the room. I was in room number one. The girl that slept on the bed next to mine complained about a cat pee smell on her mattress. I don't think our room's smell was common though because when we had mentioned it to others in our tour; they did not have the same issue.

The hostel is very close to the Waitomo Glowworm Caves and the Black Water Rafting Company. They will come by and pick you up from here if you booked a tour with them. A bar and café is onsite and there is a game room where you can play pool/billiards.

There was a communal bathroom with toilets and showers down the hall near the communal dining area and communal kitchen. We did use the kitchen to cook dinner that night and although pans and cooking utensils were provided, you had to put a deposit down for your own set of dishware and eating utensils. We didn't find enough knives to cook with but the front desk gave us two that they had. There is no oven but four electric stovetops along with two microwaves.

The shower I used had horrible water pressure. When I turned the water to hot, it was just a trickle. I originally didn't prefer the toilets and showers being so far away from our room but later preferred it since you could take time to use the bathroom in the morning without bothering and waking up the rest of your group.

The internet was HORRIBLE. I could not even bother loading my emails and luckily I traveled to a different hostel the next day that used the same internet company.

I'm rating this hotel low mainly because of the smell of my room. The other annoyances just added to it all and I probably would not stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 22, 2013

My expectations weren't high for this lodging as I knew it was aimed at backpackers traveling on a budget. And my expectations were correct. If you're looking for an overnight pitstop, close to the Waitomo caves and want nothing more than a bed and a roof over your head, then Kiwi Paka is ideal for you.

The basic rooms are surrounded by gorgeous picturesque views. A few friends on my tour & I went for a wander through several of the back paddocks for a few hours and had a great time. It's such a quiet, relaxing, beautiful part of the world. The room itself is nothing more than a cabin. It felt like I was on a school camp to be honest. The 'double bed' was simply two single beds pushed together, not the most comfortable of sleeping arrangements as there was a very noticeable indent through the middle where the two beds join. Also if you're in a bottom floor cabin, expect to hear every footstep and toilet flush of the room above you. This will detract from a good nights sleep if you have someone getting up to go to the bathroom every hour, which I was oh so lucky to have..

Staff were friendly, and the food was surprisingly very very good. Their dinner reminded me of a good home cooked meal, and their snacks (milkshake, burgers etc) were delicious. The bar had the rugby on which was very much appreciated and attracted quite a crowd.

I wouldn't want to stay here for more than one night, but you could definitely do worse if you had to.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

A really nice place. I was in a 4 bed room which was nice. The bathrooms were quite far away though and weren't that nice but it was fine. Only a short drive from the caves. They do really good stone baked pizzas and they let you take them away so we had them in our room when we were cold from caving! Alright bar bit of a grumpy bar maid but didn't matter a fun juke box

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed June 30, 2013

This hostel was just superb. Friendly staff, good food they have their own pizza's which are stone baked and they're lovely. The barman 'Crusty' was a nice guy. The rooms were lovely we had a double room was comfortable and it meant me and my boyfriend could have time to ourselves rather than sharing a dorm. They even have Rugby balls to hire, they sell post cards and things too and they have their own special iced coffees and bacon sandwiches. This was one of my favorite hostels to stay in so thank you Kiwi Paka!

Room Tip: Just stay here you won't regret it!