Tripadvisor
Waitomo Caves
Open today: 8:30 AM - 9:00 PM
Book In Advance
Tours from The Legendary Black Water Rafting Co. tend to sell out - travelers recommend booking in advance!
Why Book on Tripadvisor?

from $35.72
from $103.26
from $51.31
2,380 results
All reviews black abyss tour bagels black labyrinth soup flying fox labyrinth tour black water rafting new zealand zip lining jumping backwards glow worms wet suits climbing waterfalls great fun hot shower a lot of fun inner tubes
Selected filters
Reviewed January 20, 2020

We booked the Black Labyrinth Tour and it was awesome. I have some mobility issues and the hike down into the caves was a little bit more than I bargained for (I overestimated my abilities). My son, husband and the rest of the group had no issues at all. When our group of guides, Scotty, Bria and Emma, saw that I was having some difficulty they immediately regrouped and Emma was at my side for the entire walk into the caves. She was kind, patient and had a great sense of humor about the whole thing. The rafting was awesome and the Glow Worms put on a spectacular show. I can't thank the team at Legendary Black Water Rafting enough for making this adventure become a reality for me. I highly recommend this tour.

Date of experience: January 2020
Discover_Waitomo, Customer Service Rep at The Legendary Black Water Rafting Co., responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Kia Ora,
Thank you for taking the time to write a wonderful review for us. We are glad that you enjoyed the tour and will pass on your praises to your tour guide. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed January 18, 2020 via mobile

My partner and I really enjoyed this tour, our guides Mitch and Emma were brill and the trip was both fun and informative. When the lights went out it was incredible to see the glow worms up close. We did encounter an eel.. I do not like eels. However apart from that the trip was brill. Soup at the end was a nice touch. Only slight downer was having to pay for photos at the end. Not being able to bring a camera means you have no option but to pay.

Reviewed January 17, 2020 via mobile

Absolutely amazing experience, a must-do in New Zealand!! We did the Black Labyrinth tour and it was so much fun. Our group was small, only 6 in total and we got to jump off waterfalls, explore little nooks and crannies in the cave, and tubing under the glow worms was fantastic! The water was cold but they provide wetsuits, boots, and fleeces so it was comfortable enough. The whole experience was incredible and I would definitely do it again!!

Date of experience: January 2020
Discover_Waitomo, Customer Service Rep at The Legendary Black Water Rafting Co., responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2020

Kia Ora,
Thanks for leaving such a great and informative review! Its great to hear you really enjoyed your time with us in Waitomo. Thank you for visiting and we hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed January 16, 2020

First, we had a lot of fun on the “black water rafting” and recommend.

Second, this is not a rafting tour. This is more of a cave trail adventure in water with the smallest water tubes out there. I suppose the black water comes from a lot of the tour being in the dark or close to it.

Our guides Alecia and Elias were awesome.

The only thing that some folks may not enjoy is when you arrive you are fitted for wet suits that are already wet and you’re in this wet and somewhat uncomfortable suit (including wet socks and boots) for nearly 30 mins before actually getting in the cave water. Speaking of the cave water - its cold so you’re going in feeling cold and into cold water. All but your hands are covered so they get extra cold (not sure why they don’t provide gloves)

The end is concluded with a nice hot shower and then a bowl soup and a bagel.

Also, you get to see and learn a fair bit about glow worms so no need to do the others if you do this one.

Kia Ora,
Thanks for leaving such a great and informative review! Thank you for visiting and we hope to see you again!

Reviewed January 16, 2020 via mobile

Such a fab experience!! A must do if you visit NZ north island. Well done Saskia and Alyesa for being amazing guides xx

Kia Ora,
Thank you for taking the time to place feedback and its great to hear you really enjoyed your time with us in Waitomo! Thank you for visiting and we hope to see you in the future.