“Abysmal customer service. Average attraction.”

Altura Gardens and Wildlife Park
Reviewed January 4, 2014

The first time I've ever contributed to 'trip advisor', but felt compelled to by our experience here. No other visitors around, and nobody at reception. Rang bell loudly and repeatedly (as per notice), and waited 15 minutes, but no one came. Had 2 young girls desperate for a pony ride so went for a walk to try and find them. Usual array of chickens, emus, sheep etc. Finally were approached by a young European staff member who took us back to the office to pay. She barely smiled the whole time, and looked a bit annoyed when I said we wanted a pony ride for kids. Not only charged full price despite having to wait, but not offered advertised family ticket, so overcharged! On our walk round to pony rides, the kids picked up some sharp pruning tools that had been left on the (overgrown) path. Even though I said our 6 year old had never been on a pony before, the staff member walked out in front with the rope rather than at the side so she could try to catch my daughter if she slipped. I work in a tourism attraction and would be embarrassed if my guests left feeling as we did - annoyed and ripped off by an amateur operation.

1  Thank Janet H

Reviewed September 2, 2013

My family and I visited the park after having a tour of the caves. We arrived and went to the reception office and no one was home, we walked around looking for someone but could not. I would reccommend the staff having a sign or phone that tourist can use to gain entry to the park.

3  Thank CCstar14
Reviewed February 22, 2013

My partner and I enjoyed Altura Park very much. We rode past lovely scenery...farm animals, caves and limestone formations, the parks own natural waterfall (albiet a small one), valleys and hills at a gentle pace until we became more confident (first time riders), we then were able to trot. The view from the summits were truly spectacular. The woman leading us (her name escapes me) was happy and chatty, and also knew alot about Waitomo and its history. She offered to take photos for us, which we now cherish. After our ride, we walked through the wildlife park which had horses, cows, donkeys, rabbits, emu's, an ostrich, a huge variety of other birds and animals. Would go back again!

Reviewed November 27, 2012

We went to Altura Gardens with our grandson. It is a very pleasant walk around the animal enclosures. The wild life come out to greet visitors

See more reviews
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I took my 9 yr old grand daughter and 81 year old parents for a day out to Altura. We packed a picnic lunch and set off. We only live 20 km's away from this awesome park but had never been. We arrived and had a very relaxing wander around the park. It is set up in a circuit type format so you see everything. There are birds of many varieties, sheep, goats, minature horses, donkeys and the list goes on. The animals are very friendly and well looked after and my grand daughter loved being able to feed them. We had our picnic and then my grand daughter and mother both were able to be involved in the bottle feeding of the baby animals. There were seats situated around the park which was really good for my parents. All in all, a very relaxing outing.