“No staff around, could not visit...”

Altura Gardens and Wildlife Park
Reviewed September 2, 2013

My family and I visited the park after having a tour of the caves. We arrived and went to the reception office and no one was home, we walked around looking for someone but could not. I would reccommend the staff having a sign or phone that tourist can use to gain entry to the park.

3  Thank CCstar14

Reviewed February 22, 2013

My partner and I enjoyed Altura Park very much. We rode past lovely scenery...farm animals, caves and limestone formations, the parks own natural waterfall (albiet a small one), valleys and hills at a gentle pace until we became more confident (first time riders), we then were able to trot. The view from the summits were truly spectacular. The woman leading us (her name escapes me) was happy and chatty, and also knew alot about Waitomo and its history. She offered to take photos for us, which we now cherish. After our ride, we walked through the wildlife park which had horses, cows, donkeys, rabbits, emu's, an ostrich, a huge variety of other birds and animals. Would go back again!

Reviewed November 27, 2012

We went to Altura Gardens with our grandson. It is a very pleasant walk around the animal enclosures. The wild life come out to greet visitors

Reviewed September 29, 2012

I took my 9 yr old grand daughter and 81 year old parents for a day out to Altura. We packed a picnic lunch and set off. We only live 20 km's away from this awesome park but had never been. We arrived and had a very relaxing wander around the park. It is set up in a circuit type format so you see everything. There are birds of many varieties, sheep, goats, minature horses, donkeys and the list goes on. The animals are very friendly and well looked after and my grand daughter loved being able to feed them. We had our picnic and then my grand daughter and mother both were able to be involved in the bottle feeding of the baby animals. There were seats situated around the park which was really good for my parents. All in all, a very relaxing outing.

See more reviews
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We had a great horse trek through the farm in August. Just the 2 of us, complete beginners! My lovely horse Holly needed minmal guidance but did respond when i did exert some control. My husbands horse, part Clydesdale, had attitude but was still controllable - he enjoyed himself immensely. Thanks to Katie for the relaxed walk and enthusiasm! Lovely scenery throughout the farm.