“The 7 Hour Epic Adventure was the highlight of our NZ trip!”

Waitomo Adventures - Lost World 7 Hr Epic
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Abseil 100m into this amazing cavern (like the 4hr option), but wearing a wetsuit - you're heading off to explore the Mangapu river passage. The freehanging descent will astound you but in this option that's only the beginning. Spend the day walking, wading and swimming through the cavernous passages. See giant fossil oysters and whalebones; flowstone, spiders & glowworms. Do jumps, climbs and optional challenges. Includes comprehensive packed lunch underground & BBQ steak dinner. Min age 15yrs. No experience required. Local family owned & operated for over 27years. Qualmark & Outdoorsmark endorsed. FREE PHOTOS OF YOUR TRIP SENT BY INTERNET
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
nikkg
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“The 7 Hour Epic Adventure was the highlight of our NZ trip!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2012

My husband Mike and I did the 7-hour Lost World tour on March 29th with Brad and Dean who were awesome tour guides. We had a good group of Americans and one Dutch guy and we all had a good rapport with the guides. They made sure we felt safe and had an amazing time. We did the abseil which was less scary when I realized I felt pretty safe hanging on the rope. The rest of the adventure throughout the cave is so unreal and breathtaking. You truly must see it to believe what you do because it's pretty incredible in the caves. I didn't know my own strength! It is not a trip for the claustrophobic or physically weak, but if you have good cardiovascular health and can swim, climb, and jump you will love it. It left us a little sore and bruised, but it was so worth it because it was spectacular. After the adventure in the cave, you hike back to an awesome BBQ meal. Seriously, I wasn't sure what to expect for dinner but the sweet potatoes (kumara) were to die for, and as a vegetarian they gave me a great veggie patty. And they introduced me to the joy of drinking L&P. I wish they had it in the states! The pictures that Brad and Dean took were good though a few were corrupted. They sent me a fixed set of the pics which was nice of them. Definitely purchase the CD or memory stick because you want photo memories of this trip. If you go to the North Island, definitely go to Waitomo and do the 7-hour Epic Adventure. It's choice, bro! :)

Visited March 2012

• Finnish first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Best All around adventure I've ever had.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2012

I seek out adventure. This is the best adventure I have been on across North America, Australia, Europe or Asia. The 100 meter abseil is epic and that's just the start. The best part of this adventure is that you have so many different aspect or challenges to overcome. Whether It's rock climbing, swimming through a river, crawling under rocks, climbing up a waterfall, walking blind, or cannon balling into another layer. Nothing compares to the triumphant, exhausted, exhillarated feeling you have at the end of the day when you ease into a hot shower and a grilled steak dinner, all included. I recommend this to anyone looking for something to do in New Zealand.

Visited May 2011
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Epic day, epic adventure, epic thrills!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

The most thrilling day, full of adventure. Made the adrenaline go into free flow!!
The 100m abseil was out of this world. Our first time doing any type of caving and it didn't disappoint. We were treated to rivers, streams, waterfalls, caves and glow worms all in a subterranian world 100m below the surface.
We felt very safe and were very well looked after by both our guides.

Visited March 2012
Fayetteville, West Virginia
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Best trip I did in New Zealand”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

This trip was truly amazing. If you are adventurous, fit, and willing to give things a go then do not pass this up. It seems like a lot of money, and it took me a long time to finally decided that I would splurge and do it, but man was it worth it. You start with a 100meter abseil, which I really enjoyed even though sometime I can get very shaky with heights. We then had a nice lunch below the hole we entered. after lunch we spend the next about 5.5 hours hiking, scrambling, climbing, swimming, and making out way upstream through an amazingly beautiful cave. Definitely a highlight of New Zealand for me. Plus, the bbq dinner at the end of the trip was delicious and the guides were awesome!

Visited January 2012
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“I was terrified in the days leading up to the trip, exhilarated after!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2012

My husband really wanted to do this trip, as on our previous visit to Waitomo 3 years earlier we did a simple tubing trip that was fun but not particularly challenging. I made the reservations and didn't think much of it until the day loomed close and I suddenly began wondering what I was getting myself into. We were the oldest people on the tour (I am almost 40), and while I am normally pretty active I had been getting less exercise than normal in the preceding months and then we did a three day tramp in Taranaki (lots of steep hills, up and down) that ended just the day before, so I was incredibly sore to boot. Being afraid of heights, having to sit on a railing out from the edge of the platform 100 m up was terrifying, though I loved the abseil. As many others have described the tour, I won't go into details, but Dion and Chris were excellent, supportive and entertaining guides. I even got to check out an eel up close at the lunch spot. I didn't make it up the waterfall on my own, despite Dion's heroic efforts (granny ladder!!), but next time I hope I'll make it. I think it was my husband's best day
ever, and we're definitely planning a return trip.

1 Thank Javery323