“Highlight of the entire trip!”
Review of Waitomo Adventures

Waitomo Adventures
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Do New Zealand's longest rappel into the amazing Lost World sinkhole followed by exploration of dry levels of the cave system as you ascend back to the surface. Imagine being suspended freehanging on a very small string in this massive void, bouncing gently and turning in the mists as you pass weird plants clinging desperately to the sheer cliff faces. Look into upper levels of the cave and out to massive green cave formations growing at odd angles into the void. It's fantastic! Up to four people abseil alongside each other and can share the spectacle of one of the country's most special places. Your guide abseils alongside as you descent into the surreal chasm providing instruction; information and very reassuring safety backup. free photos are included so you can concentrate on safety & enjoying the experience. This is a boutique sustainable and unique experience exclusively provided by a local family business since 1987. Suits a wide range of individuals from 10 Yrs upwards and is intended for complete novices. No prior experience or super-strength required. Operator carries the highest quality and safety certifications.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Stroller parking
Washington DC, District of Columbia
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Highlight of the entire trip!”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

First off, Wayne is the man. My now wife and myself were fortunate enough to do the 4 hour abseiling adventure with just him. Essentially a private adventure into one of New Zealand's craziest natural phenomenon. Waitomo Adventures has their stuff together for sure. We were taken care of from the moment we walked through the door until the moment we were waving good bye to those guys. They were all consummate professionals. Wayne, in particular, was very educated on the natural surroundings and provided us with a top notch experience that we will never forget.

melbourne
3 attraction reviews
“Falling into another world”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

This is by far the most awe inspiring thing I have done, abseiling 100m into a cave was fantastic, we stopped half way down for some photos then we proceeded on into the cave, the whole time you are looked after and made sure of being safe, the guide (Ryan) was great with the photography, I asked for a couple extra shots and he took them for me, half way we stopped for a snack and more photos which turned out fantastic. The only thing that was terrifying was the climb up the 30m iron ladder, it is a hard climb so you must be somewhat fit to do it, I struggled with this but felt relieved when I reached the top. Glow worms were seen and a short story about the glow worms was told while we rested for a bit. I am heading back to do another tour with this company and cannot recommend them enough.

Visited August 2013
Melbourne
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“The experience of a lifetime”
Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

I did many amazing things in New Zealand (white water rafting, skydiving, horse rides and Jet boat adventures) but this was without a doubt the most amazing thing I have ever done. The guide was excellent and there was just four of us. I went for the 100m freefall but there was so much more to this tour. The sights, the thrill and the incredible photos our guide took are beyond worth the $200 (ish).
I only stayed in Waitomo for one night, or I would have gone on another adventure with this company. The caves are filled with glowworms and it's an easy adventure for someone who wants all the thrill and not a huge amount of effort. I could not recommend this enough in words. It is an absolute must do in New Zealand.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Emily A
Nantes, France
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Thanks to telli and Seb”
Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Our tour has been a real adventure from the beginning until the end. St Benedict cave was absolutely gorgeous, I will recommend it to anyone who wants to do abseiling & stay dry

Redwood City, California
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Awesome experience!”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

* Awesome experience! Great views like no other!
* Sebastian and Wayne were great instructors/guides!
* Easy booking process.
* Felt reassured with the many fail safes throughout the tour.
* Had a nice and intimate group of 8 (total, including guides). The other tourists were very friendly. Ranged from novice to experienced.
Note: Ask them to take lots of pictures since you pay for all the pictures on a USB drive (optional).
Note: Eat something light before since only little snacks are provided.

1 Thank Ron-Rob M