“Great experience, guides made it worth every penny.”

Waitomo Adventures - Tumu Tumu Toobing
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Blackwater Rafting at its Best! See galaxies of Glowworms, Stalactites and all manner of wonderful rock formations. Walk, wade swim and tube through the fascinating TumuTumu Cave. No prior experience required. This is not like white water rafting. It's much more gentle. This trip has almost twice the quality underground time of all Waitomo's non-abseil Blackwater trips. Allow 4 hrs for this trip (approx 2 hrs actually underground). Min age 12 years. Min weight 40kg. Operator is local family and is both Qualmark & Outdoorsmark endorsed. Has over 27 years of safe operation. FREE PHOTOS OF YOUR TRIP SENT BY INTERNET
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great experience, guides made it worth every penny.”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Great adventure. Telli and Jen were awesome!

Seriously fun ppl to go on the trip with, even though Telli's scare tactics were mediocre at best..,, but his charm makes up for it. Haha
They got us involved, had fun and helped me out when my nerves took over during a tight squeeze. Highly recommended trip!!!!

My only complaint is that pictures should be included- not 15$ a pop.

1 Thank Misschappy

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Pricey was fun!”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We did the Tubing and were really happy with the tour. Staff are really friendly and professional and the information provided during the caving was great. I'd never been caving before and after this experience I would happily do it again. Each tour company has their own caves so you're not bombarded with any other tour groups - it's your own tour of an amazing cave.
The glow worms were plentiful and it was really amazing lying back, floating down in the dark staring at these incredible creatures. The group was small and the tour was about 4 hours in length including the bus ride over to the caves and back.
We didn't shop around for a tour before going to this company, so I recommend doing that first and booking in advance as you may find it cheaper that way! I did not buy photos as they were (not surprisingly) overpriced. You are not allowed to take your own camera which is completely understandable..
Love the warm juice half way through the cave :) Remember to take a towel and a change of clothes for after. Yes, the water is cold but you are given a good wetsuit!! Well worth a visit to these amazing caves!!

Visited November 2012
cairns
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“omg - i did not want to do this!”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

With children you are made to do stuff you would not normally do. I was not that keen, however upon been greeted by Brad and the team at Waitomo - i was very excited. Until I got to the caves and fear just overtook. I was so suprised by my anxiety but Brad (Tour guide) was calm and trusting and encouraged me supportively every step of the way without making a big deal. I was so glad i completed the tour, it was a truly amazing experience with such a surreal feeling - definately a bucket list. Everyone must do - at least once.!! I guarantee you will feel so glad you did if you are not fearful and you will feel like a hero if you are. One thing for sure - you always feel safe and can trust your tour guide. they know it all and can read fear like a book. Thank you Brad.- It was fun, dark, scary, confronting, exhilirating and of course a tour of a life time.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Jayne M
Denver, Colorado
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Amazing tour, great guides”
Reviewed September 12, 2012

This was an amazing tour. The entire staff was great and we loved our guides. We did a 4 hour Tuma Tuma blackwater caving excursion. Once you bus out to the start/end location you change out of your clothes into their gear. You won’t take any personal belongings on the trip but they have lockers to store all your things. They have hot showers after you are back so remember to take any soap/etc. there are a few caving operators around the area so be sure to ask how many people go in a group and how long you are in the caves (some trips have 5 hour trips with only 2.5 hours in the caves). Our excursion with Waitomo Adventures had a good ratio of cave time per the trip total. This was defiantly one of the highlights of our week in New Zealand.

Visited August 2012
Plymouth
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Amazing, so much fun”
Reviewed June 6, 2012

This was unforgetable, a real laugh and our guide was brilliant, very knowledgeable and laid back.
we were lucky and were in a group of just 4. Groups can get very big, there being 20 in the group after so try and go off peak time,

Visited February 2012