“Nice meal and atmosphere”
Review of Huhu

Huhu
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: HUHU Cafe offers visitors to Waitomo the opportunity to sample great New Zealand cuisine in a beautiful setting. We offer a delicious evening menu, perfect for enjoying with a cold one on the sunny deck after a hard day's caving or glow-worm spotting! You can enjoy delicious treats such as Caramelised Garlic & Goats Cheese Tart, Wild Rabbit Hotpot, Organic Rib-Eye, Dark Chocolate Souffle & Poached Tamarillos to name but a few (please note that our menu changes on a regular basis, depending on what we can source from our suppliers). Wherever possible, we use local providers - our lamb comes from farms around Te Kuiti, our cheese from Putaruru & our berries (when in season) are from Piopio. Our wine list consists of a number of great New Zealand wine varieties and our beer list features a selection of boutique beers to whet the whistle! Cosy up by our woodburner during the winter months or chill out on our deck over summer... Have we tempted your tastebuds? Well then, we look forward to seeing you at HUHU sometime soon!
Reviewed February 19, 2013

My friend and I recently ate here and had a good experience. The food selection and quality was good with a nice atmosphere. Good wine selection also. Very courteous and friendly service as well. Recommended for a nice night out.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

The location of the Huhu is fantastic, with wonderful views. We chose pork and salmon for our main courses but, though they were perfectly pleasant, they were a little bland and were lacking in star quality. The restaurant was crowded when we were there and the service was perhaps a little slow as a consequence.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Went Black Water Rafting in Waitomo and spent the night in town. We were looking for a nice place to have dinner at and the motel we were staying in suggested the HUHU Cafe. We did not expect to find such a nice venue in Waitomo. the service was good and so was the food. I would rate it as the best restaurant in the area.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

We made a detour to give this highly rated restaurant a try and I wish I could report more positive results. The restaurant itself is very nice with a spacious deck and clean black and white lines. The service was friendly and prompt but, alas, there was the food. The pasta with goat feta that I ordered tasted of Watties tomato sauce; sweet, cloying and the goat cheese did not offset the ketchup flavor with a savory bite. It was bland, bland bland. My partner ordered the pork rillette which was gummy and accompanied by condiments that spoke of Chez Countdown. The sides (a salad and chips)were pretty good and reasonably priced but nothing remarkable. If I had just happened in and purchased the meal I would write it off to the vagaries of travel but after a special trip I was disappointed. I also add that the food was not inexpensive with $20-35 for entrees and small plates.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

We ate dinner on the deck overlooking the rolling hills and pastures of the Waitomo Caves--very romantic. My husband had pork hocks, a rocket (arugula) and pear salad and potato gnocchi. I had prosciutto wrapped and cheese stuffed chicken. Excellent all around. There are few restaurants in this area and I doubt any can hold a candle to this place in terms of quality and ambience. It's not cheap; but it's on par with any other New Zealand restaurant of this caliber.