“Ultra Modern Luxury!”

Chateau Elan Hunter Valley
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Rothbury
Reviewed May 25, 2010

The hotel is newly built, very modern and ultra luxurious! The staff are very friendly, always happy to help whether just opening the door for you or booking in dinner. The rooms are huge, Jacuzzi bath and seperate shower, the bed has a built in massager (very handy!), and goodbye to the old 'instant coffee' because each room has a Nespresso machine with good quality coffee to wake you up in the mornings!
There's no expense not made to make this a very comfortable stay! Even the products are Thalgo, the towels a good quality too!
We will be back for sure! Totally recommend!

By the way, for the tourists... the Kangaroos laze around near the golf course!!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,219)

Reviewed April 13, 2010

We stayed for 2 nights. The room was well appointed and spacious, a plus is everything is so new. The spa was fantastic, I had the Thalgo Microdermabrasion facial and Thalgo Marine Body Wrap which was fantastic. The therapist was extremely well trained and it was a pleasurable 3 hours. The breakfasts are great. We didn't try the restaurant but did have room service for dinner one night. Service was quite quick, my husband had the Wagyu Beef Burger and I had the Chicken Curry. The Burger was fine but the Curry wasn't the best, chicken was full of fat and most pieces inedible. Personally we have decided we are not so keen on the Apartment style hotels where you are a distance away from the main facilities and have to drive to get to everything. Apart from that we really enjoyed our stay and would consider staying again.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 22, 2010

We just had 1 night here and had the best hotel experience. We have previously stayed at the Sebel and Tower Lodge and they were nice but nothing compared to Chateau Elan. Our room the 'spa suite' was brand new, clean and spacious with a king bed that massages. The service was excellent and the breakfast included with our room imcluded a full buffet with coffee and eggs made to order was delicious. We will defintely be returning next time we come to the Hunter as this was the best experience!

Reviewed March 20, 2010

It was an ordinary morning and a rainy day to boot, the journey ahead was long and we had so much going on at home I had considered staying in and not going to Chateau Elan at all, but my other half was so excited about the day I didn't want to "rain on her parade" so to speak. When we arrived at the Vintage the rain had subsided and the sun was beginning to peak through the clouds, just a little, but enough to feel a little relief.

The presence of the Chateau Elan building was much more inviting than I had expected and things were looking up.

We had booked for a couples Terrake Ritual as a bit of a treat because I have been working away a lot and thought it was a great way to spend some time together. From the moment we walked in the door we could see that this property was really setting a standard (I spend a lot of time in the Middle East for work and have experienced some amazing hotels). The reception team were warm and inviting and the attendants who took us through to the spa really made us feel welcome. Thanks Kylie and Beverley!!

The high point of the visit of course was to be the treatment, and let me say I was certainly left floating on a cloud. The Terrake treatment we each had was explained to us as a journey of the senses and had some unique techniques that helped us to feel like we were a world away. Alex looked after me and Renae was my partners therapist. Such warmth and genuine care really made us feel like we were the only people in existence. the smell of the candle and the sound track purpose designed to match the ritual were all encompassing and made it an experience like none other.

I am glad I got out of bed instead of lying in and the rainy drive up now seems more like a part of the journey than a nuisance.

I would recommend making the time to spoil your partner anytime but the journey we took to Chateau Elan is one that we will hold in our memories always.

Reviewed March 19, 2010

Just got back from a romantic weekend and wanted to say a big thank you to the team at Chateau Elan for making our stay so special. It was the best weekend away we have had for many years. The staff were so friendly and did everything they could to make our stay perfect. We stayed in a spa suite which was extremely luxurious and had views of the beautiful golf course. We both had a Swedish Massage and I had a facial which I would thoughly recommend both of these as they really made me feel out of this world. I have a friend who is getting married later this year and I will definately be recommending Chateau Elan as a venue because it would be the perfect venue for a wedding. We will definately be returning to Chateau Elan in the near future!

Reviewed March 18, 2010

This hotel lets itself down by setting a very high expectation and then not delivering, in any area. It is apparently five star accommodation and the room rate is one of the highest in the hunter valley but unfortunately there are little things wrong with just about every aspect of this hotel, which leads to overall disappointment.

We stayed in a king spa room, which was nice but the decor was not very 'warm' or inviting; the pillows were like bricks, the bathroom is reminiscent of a cell block, the 'spa' can really only accommodate one adult comfortably.

Everything about this hotel is just ok - the staff are very friendly, but don't show any initiative beyond what you would expect; the plastic flowers in the bathroom are just wrong, the buffet breakfast consisted of soggy hash browns and over-cooked sausages, room service was an extra $10 which just appeared on our bill, the Greg Norman designed golf course which is normally $120 per round per person was actually available to the general public for $55 per person after 3 pm which we found out from a very helpful man at the visitor centre. If only the Elan staff had mentioned it when I enquired about golf!!

The worst part was the the day spa, which we had booked as a treat for my husband's birthday. It is extremely over-priced; with the cheapest massage at $130 which would be fine if you had a 5 star spa experience, but mine was literally the worst massage I have ever had and I asked not to be charged. The room was freezing, the therapist apparently mute, the towels prickly and uncomfortable. I then went up to the Golden Door and had a completely wonderful massage and facial - now THAT is a five star spa - I recommend you just skip straight to the real deal!

2  Thank krads
Reviewed March 16, 2010

Being a new resort, I was prepared for some teething problems . . .

My husband and I were looking forward to our last weekend away before our baby arrives in July. There were some great features but overall i'd give this hotel a good couple of years before I returned. A few too many disappointments in our stay:

- Positives:
Beautiful room
Big flat screen TV
Valet parking & porter
Tidy
Great food
Beautiful location

- Negatives:
Housekeeping entering the room without notice (not what you want on a romantic weekend away!)
Not sympathetic to complaints
No bin bags in room
Foot spa treatment I booked was not available to pregnant women, not told of this prior
Spa treatment not confirmed at check in, told later that this should have been done by a receptionist who was visibly annoyed
Spa robes not big enough for a pregnant belly
Despite being told something would be organised for our dinner as compensation to our complaint, nothing came to fruition
Upon check-out we were charged for the breakfast and full dinner (breakfast was included in our package)
When I questioned this, the head receptionist berated the junior receptionist in front of me
Manager was not available
Head receptionist refunded $40 for the dinner (covered the deserts only) and the breakfast charge
Was not asked at any point (unsurprisingly) for our feedback

It was a shame that this was the last place my husband and I will go alone for some R&R for some time because if I had my time again I would not have stayed at the Chateau. It has the potential to be a really beautiful place, just needs to work on the execution a little better.

3  Thank Sarah_Jamesy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rothbury
Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley
#1 of 15 in Pokolbin
Grand Mercure The Vintage Hunter Valley
Mercure Resort Hunter Valley Gardens
The Convent Hunter Valley Hotel

Been to Chateau Elan Hunter Valley? Share your experiences!