“Fantastic rooms and even better service”

Chateau Elan Hunter Valley
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Rothbury
Newcastle, Australia
“Fantastic rooms and even better service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2014

Having only one night to spend away from the little ones, it was somewhat difficult to find accommodation that would accept a one night stay in the Hunter Valley. After great reviews on Trip Advisor we decided to give Chateau Elan a chance and we were greeted by the most helpful staff member over the telephone, soon after the booking was made.

The photos on the website do not do it justice, the rooms are well designed and in our case, the King Spa, was perfect for the two of us. The room itself is stocked with a mini bar and tea/coffee making facilities. It did lack cheese plates and glasses (although had some wine glasses) and this wasn't unexpected.

A quick phone call to reception and our requests were met, extremely fast too.

The customer service is the best I have ever experience in any accommodation I have stayed in, certainly not limited to the Valley.

We will certainly be back. Thanks Chateau Elan for making our stay pleasant, well done.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Chateau Elan for 2 nights and we can't recommend it enough. Conveniently located to the wineries and amazing restaurants.Rooms were beautiful and spacious. Staff were really friendly and went above and beyond for us.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ana R
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014

We booked over the Anzac long weekend. Fantastic accomodation, extremely clean, comfortable, beds were amazing and loved the spa bath in ensuite. We stayed in a one bedroom villa and the gas feature fireplace in the lounge room was so beautiful and a great way to finish off the afternoon with a nice bottle of red by the fire, I would stay again for sure !!! Only thing I would say is breakfast did not really live up to the excellent standard of this hotel, go somewhere else for breakfast. Dinner on the other hand was excellent !!!

Room Tip: Pay a little more and get a one bed villa, we did and I was so glad that we did !!!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DebB73
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

It's such a pleasure to check in to a room that's not grotty and worn! This was our 3rd visit - the previous ones in 2012 and 2013 - and the chateau has been around longer than that...but the rooms are still very clean and in great condition.

We stayed in an upper floor spa villa - the view from the balcony across the golf course stretches for miles and the sunsets were magical. Kangaroos were everywhere as usual. Admittedly, the walls are a bit thin - and everyone in our villa block was privy to a very loud phone conversation between mother and daughter on one occasion. Thankfully, we only had to put up with these inconsiderate people for one night - and the rest of our stay was peaceful.

The kitchenette is well equipped - but I like to bring my own non-stick fry pan for breakfast cooking; and be aware that they don't provide a toaster due to expensive fire alarm activation by guests in the past. Other hotels we've encountered with this problem simply install a notice on the kitchen wall advising guests they will be charged $750 if they activate the fire alarm.

If you don't feel like cooking, the Vintage Club Grill provides meals - we don't bother with breakfast here anymore as it disappointed on our last 2 visits. Dinners however are very good - especially if you enjoy a good steak. Just don't expect great service as it's very 'hit and miss'.

We'll be back and recommend this hotel as clean and well located near the wineries. He says the golf is great too.

Room Tip: The 2nd floor spa villas provide a great view across the golf course and beyond and have a well equi...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

I booked this accommodation for my friends birthday as a surprise little getaway. The staff were all very responsive to emails and any questions I had leading up to my stay.
The price was reasonable and included a yummy buffet breakfast each day which was extremely good quality food and very delicious!

Our one bed spa villa was so big. We were actually surprised as it looked smaller in photos online. We had our own privacy and it felt like we just booked a house for the weekend it was really comfortable. The bed was huge and very comfy to!! Although the pillows weren't very comfortable but that wasn't a big issue.
Reception and the concierge were extremely friendly and attentive. They were always in happy moods greeting us with smiles and keen to have a chat. I loved the fact you could call them to pick you up in buggies and drive you around the grounds.
The housekeeping is extremely good to the place was spotless when we arrived!
I highly recommend this hotel. It is def my num 1 place now I have ever stayed at. I definitely cannot wait to go back again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

It's a beautiful place however two things were EXTREMELY disappointing. 1. My king sized bed was made up by 2 singles joined together. If I wanted 2 singles I would have asked for it. Really uncomfortable for my girlfriend and I as there was a dip in between the 2 beds. Not exactly what you would expect for $299 a night. Secondly, as the next morning was ANZAC day the cafe that served breakfast closed early and gave us NO heads up when we checked in the day prior. When I checked out I asked the concierge manager about it, he has absolutely zero idea and openly shared that even he didn't know. If the staff doesn't know, how do you expect customers to know? I know for a fact that we were not the only customers that checked out hungry, as we met other guests in another cafe discussing how disappointed we all were. Definitely not recommending this to my business partners, friends and family.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank Wallanli
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014

We booked Chateau Elan for a 2 night stay as we were travelling to the Hunter Valley for a friend's wedding (at a separate venue). I was pleasantly surprised by the price of our accommodation which was about $430 for both Saturday and Sunday night. Hunter Valley accommodation can be expensive, with 2 night minimum stays imposed on weekends and I know some other wedding guests were paying a lot more than this for a much lower standard of accommodation. Chateau Elan was everything we needed for a short weekend stay with modern rooms and a really big bathroom. Breakfast was not included in the room rate and is buffet-style at the golf club restaurant (hotel guests receive a discount), which is about a 5 minute walk from the villas. We stayed in a first floor spa king room - a word of warning, our room had a shared balcony with another room. I am not sure if this is a feature of all spa king villas, but it can be rather awkward to walk out onto your balcony to see another guests in their bathrobes!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Dames_and_Cole
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rothbury
Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley
Mercure Resort Hunter Valley Gardens
The Convent Hunter Valley
The Convent Hunter Valley
#11 of 15 in Pokolbin

Been to Chateau Elan Hunter Valley? Share your experiences!