“Elegant, Friendly & Comfortable”

Chateau Elan Hunter Valley
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Rothbury
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I had heard much about the Chateau Elan international reputation over the years, so I was very excited at the prospect of staying at their Australian operation in the Hunter Valley. From the moment we arrived, we were not disappointed. The accommodation was elegant; the service from start to finish was superb and surprisingly friendly (which is so unusual for most Australian destinations) and overall we felt very comfortable - like we'd been there before.
The general Manager of the whole operation, Joe Spagnolo made a point of introducing himself and made us feel particularly welcome. It's no wonder the service across the board is so good, with him leading the way. What a nice guy.
Food was very good. The best steaks anywhere. Breakfast offered incredible variety to satisfy all of us.
We played a few rounds of golf at the adjoining Vintage Golf Course and the pro shop staff could not have done anything more to make us enjoy our games. When I made a subtle mention about the golf cart we were in feeling a little under-powered, they immediately drove a another one out to meet us on course to swap over. They gave us tips on how best to manage the tremendously challenging course and had everything ready to go for us with our clubs and carts from the previous day's game. What a wonderful experience and we can't wait to return soon.

Room Tip: All the rooms overlook the 10th fairway and hole, so the outlook is extremely pleasant and calming...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Rob C

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Stayed here for one night two days for a work conference. Really enjoyed myself, the rooms were clean and spacious. Facilities on the grounds were really good too - I was able to enjoy the pools and jacuzzi (they are outdoors with shade and the water was absolutely perfect).

I also went for a jog around the area to appreciate the surroundings - Chateau Elan has beautiful grounds! Food was also very enjoyable, they serve Nespresso coffee which is expected these days.

Service was really good - special mention to a guy called Aaron who is just a pleasure to deal with! We cross paths as I was walking to my villa (6 - read my tip below on the villa numbers) and offered to give me a lift on the golf buggy he was on a the time.

Later in the night i realised my television wasn't working and called reception and spoke to a really friendly guy. He were at my door step within about 5-7 minutes which is really good response time - turns out was Aaron again. My telly issue was promptly sorted!

Overall really enjoyed this place. I would come back again - hopefully with someone who plays golf as i think a golfer would really love this venue!

Room Tip: Villas are numbered from 1 to 10, 1 being closest to the reception, spa and facilities. Would reques...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I took my Mum to the Hunter Valley for the weekend and despite very little planning or organisation on my part ;) it all worked out beautifully! I can't fault the Chateau Elan everything was perfect and most of all easy and well organised. I had the candle massage and and organic facial both of which were excellent, the spa staff bent over backwards to make sure we were happy and looked after. We stayed in a spa villa which was immaculate and basically a holiday apartment which you could happily stay in for a week. The pool was lovely and perfect temperature. The breakfast was great as was the coffee. As I say I can't fault the place and I've stayed in some nice hotels, I highly recommend it and would definitely go back. The boutique guest houses look pretty but when it comes down to it I would rather have the facilities that come with a place like this. Oh and when we ate at Restaurant Botanica the Chateau had arranged a complimentary drink for us which I thought was a nice touch.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I have to admit, I have mixed feellings about my stay here. To put it bluntly, I was expecting more when i heard the name Chateau Elan. The reality is a bunch of villas on the side of a golf course.
The reception staff were excellent. Nothing was a problem. I stayed in Villa 8. A building that houses 8 rooms in total in an upstairs/downstairs layout. The room was quite nice. The bed was large and very comfortable. The layout is a little strange with a petrusion of furniture into the centre of the room. The TV, desk and refridgerator located here. The bathroom was massive for the size of the room with a seperate bath and shower. The amenities, while they may have been looking for something special to offer their guests, blood orange scented shower gel wasn't going to do it for me. The last thing regarding the room - I had a shared balcony. I failed to notice this as did the guests next to me.
The layout of the resort is off to the side of the golf course. The golfers never caused any problems with balls or noise. The main issue is simply getting around. The resort does offer a "caddie" service where, if you call they will come and pick you up, but this isn't time practical. I'm glad it didn't rain. The business facilities at our confrence were fine and the staff were quite attentive.The food that was served was of average quality.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Fires72
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We have just come back from the Hunter Valley where we stayed at the Chateau Elan. From when we first arrived to when we left it was amazing. We stayed in the spa suite which was just beautiful! The day spa staff and facilities were second to none! And the massage... amazing!
We would have to make a special mention of the staff, in all areas from reception to cleaners, door people to spa, to restaurant to the golf pro shop, just fantastic customer service and nothing was ever a problem. They all made our stay extremely comfortable and memorable. Thebestcutomer service we have witnessed in a very long time.. thank you!!
If we were to say a negative on our stay, it would of been the no mobile reception/ free wifi. Was a bit annoying we couldnt contact people other than by the phone in the room, but it was ok.
The other thing would be the lack of choices on the menus especially at dinner time. We ate at the grill 2 nights which was lovely but we felt that there werent many choices, especially if you were staying for a long time. We decided to go somewhere else for dinner on the 3rd night for this reason. There also wasnt anywhere to really sit and just have a drink/talk. There was the"bar" but its not a large space, especially when it wasrainingand cold.. outside was not an option.
In saying all that it did not ruin ourwonderful trip and wewould definately stay there again and be suggesting it to people to go to. Fantastic, thank you

Room Tip: We were the second room from reception and it was sooo quiet. No problems with noise at all. Was gre...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We stayed at Chateau Elan for the weekend as part of my wifes birthday celebrations. Nice villas, with big bathrooms and plenty of room. The service was excellent - in particular Emily, who tirelessly arranged dining and entertainment options, and by text provided us with birdlife identification services without complaint! Excellent recommendations for restaurants - right on brief. A great place.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FamilyofTank
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We had a weekend escape to the Hunter Valley and coming from New Zealand knew nothing about the area. As we only had two nights and one full day we wanted to ensure we experienced the best of the best.

The first thing that occurred to us is that there is so much to do and see in the Hunter Valley. How could we possibly choose what to do without the risk of a couple of dud experiences. In steps Emily from Chateau Elan.

While we found all the staff to be exceptionally friendly Emily just happened to be on at the times we needed advice. Not only did she make recommendations for lunch, dinner and wine tasting - which proved to be first class - but she even booked them for us and used her personal mobile to text us the confirmations while we tripped around the countryside.

To top it off I went and left my phone charger plugged in to the wall in our suite and didn't realise until we were an hour away. A quick text to Emily on her private mobile (still had the number) and the response was almost immediate - no problem, we'll pop it in the post for you.

Thanks Emily and the Chateau Elan team for making our short stay a memorable one for all the right reasons.

Accommodation - first class but ask for the smaller pillows.
Food - we only had breakfast there but at $29 pp for a full hot buffet the value was exceptional and the food fantastic.
Facilities - great 20m lap pool and soothing large spa pool. The ladies loved their massage in the Spa. We didn't play golf but the course looked great.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rothbury
Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley
Mercure Resort Hunter Valley Gardens
Tonic Hotel
Tonic Hotel
#10 of 15 in Pokolbin

Been to Chateau Elan Hunter Valley? Share your experiences!