“We loved the hotel and its facilities, but breakfast and receptionist to be reviewed”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Xaloc Resort

Xaloc Resort
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Holbox Island
Paris, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2011

The hotel is charming, nothing to say about that. However, the argentinian receptionist wasn't nice and motivated and wasn't doing his job correctly. This really disappointed us and we will probably choose another hotel next time. Also, the breakfast is not really good, which is a shame in such a nice hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank anna c

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2011

Arriving: was ok .. when we arrived to the front desk they were polite there was a young lady with spanish accent I am sure she is from Spain so nice and with as mile all the time. Mr.Abraham the gentleman I did my reservation was so friendly and kind and answered back my requests and doubts all the time TWO BIG THUMPS FOR HIM!!!! the room number 14 was beautiful and clean there was a problem with the air condition when we return for lunch there was water everywhere I went to the front desk around 8:30 pm and the Spanish young lady asked to the guy who fixes the air conditions the mexican guy said " sorry until tomorrow because it is too late " and I said it is not late, don´t worry I sleep late so he had to do it he had no choice ... but he couldn´t do it he tried and tried over and over again but he insisted was too late and could´t see anything....suddenly came a couple from spain I think they are in charge of this beautiful hotel and the gentleman fixed it and only took him 20 min so friendly and the couple they said sorry for the inconvenients and for the time but the problems was solved and we never had another problem with the air condition the rest of 5 days we stayed; for this couple 2 BIG THUMPS FOR THEM !!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!!!!!!
The restaurant was clean and the continental breakfast was well served and all the time we ordered from the menu . delicious very mexican style.
I can tell you We spent such a wonderful days at xaloc resort and Holbox is such a amazing place in those days they were celebrating a mexican saint .."San Telmo" they had fiesta all the time with live music around the beach area; people were so friendly and kind....
When we went to downtown there is a italian restaurant named " LA CUEVA DEL PIRATA . (THE PIRATE´S CAVE) WOW!!!! amazing food well served and so polite and friendly , we went 2 times there asked for Lobster Pizza .... ANOTHER TWO THUMPS FOR THIS PLACE ...... as well if you want to eat sweet bread go to" KY WAAH BAKERY " the bread is so delicous I can tell this is the most delicous bread I´ve ever eaten in my whole life ... believe or not ..... there is a lady with a portuges accent she was so friendly ....
The only negative yhing is The restaurant named " EDELYN" located downtown right in the corner .... dirty place, no friendly, we asked for some food and they said they don´t have bread at that time 5:30 pm MMMMM ???? amazing no bread at that time so we asked for a pizza because it was the only thing they had at that moment BAD BAD BAD ... for them two thumps down " I will never return to this place Edelyn Restaurant ...

I can tell you ...... I WILL NEVER FORGET MY DAYS IN HOLBOX AND IN XALOC RESORTS ...MADE MY DAYS UNIQUE......AND I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO RETURN ONCE AGAIN ... THANK YOU ALL ......

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TomasESP
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2011

We had a great time, everything Xaloc crew could do for us to have a wonderful vacation... they did it.
Food is the best you get for your money in hole island!!
We stayed on the room 27 which we widely recommend, it has the best view towards the ocean.
Everything is extremely clean and with a touch of natural materials.

we love it and we are definetly going back to Xaloc.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2010

One of the best places we have ever visited. terrific value for money. The staff could not have been better and we felt so rested and relaxed. Going for longer next time and there will be a next time..

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Oakland, Ca, Usa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2010

If I go back, I'd probably stay at Hotel Delfino.

One good place to eat is Lupita on the Zocolo (town square). Great fish tacos, veg fajitas, gazpacho, tortilla soup, and other dishes.

From the moment we arrived, nothing was as advertised. After requiring a payment using Paypal, the management tried to pass the cost of Paypal on to our party. The boats and boat trips were also not as advertised. The hotel had assured us that they had their own boats that went out at 7am to avoid rough waters and that one of them was small and would be available to our small party. The hotel does not have its own boats and contracts with a group that goes out at 9am. It is better to walk down the beach and arrange for your own boat directly with the operators. We found good service at Mario's, which also is a small taco stand.

We had reserved 2 beachfront cabins but got one that looked directly on the pool (people waved to me through our front window from the pool) and a slightly better one that looked into a boat parking area and then on to the beach.

A beautiful beachfront cabin was unoccupied and after an hour of discussion with the owners (patronizing man and disdainful woman) we were allowed to move one couple into the better cabin--but for only 2 of the 4 nights we were there. Supposedly a repeat customer had booked the only good cabin for our last two nights. But that wasn't true either. After we moved a group of 4 crowded in it for one night and then another cple who stayed only one night.

The cabins were so dark that you could not read in them in the middle of the day and the air conditioning didn't work. We opened windows and blasted fans, but that let the mosquitoes in.

Breakfast was white floppy bread with hydrogenated peanut butter, cheap jams, and spoiling fruit. Coffee was done in a big tin 50s percolator and tasted like it.

2 Thank chabottraveler
Cayman Islands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2010

The hotel architecture is nice, I had some trouble with the payment of the reservation and I don't believe the hotel staff handle it correctly.
Rooms are very dark on the inside and also smell a little moldy.
This was my 3rd stay but mainly because the last 2 times this was really one of the best hotels on the island, but the this 3rd time I realized that now there are many other nicer hotels in the area including the one next to Xaloc (Casa Sandra) where some friends stayed, there even the ambiance is better that Xaloc, staff much nicer.
If I was to return to Holbox I don't think I will be staying here anymore.

1 Thank Mariasol D
Oakland, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2010

There were several problems with this place.
1) Having fullly paid in advance, when I arrived I was presented with a $53 bill for having used paypal. This had not been disclosed in advance and in fact I had received confirmation that I had fully paid for the accommodation.
2) I was assured that the resort owned 2 of their own boats that were available for whale shark tours and that 4 of us could book the smaller boat for $90 each. In fact, the resort owned no boats and contracted with others to provide the service from town for $110 per person on boats that held up to 10 people.
3) The room came with a continental breakfast. I have never seen a worse continental breakfast. It consisted of white bread and a toaster with butter and jam available, a very small fruit plate which often contained moldy or way over the hill fruit and a glass of tang.
4) In general the service was not friendly or helpful.
5) I must admit, though, that the room interiors were nice and the AC good.
I am not a finicky traveler. In fact, I loved all the other hotels we stayed in on this trip.

2 Thank RosieHeil