“The best place to stay in Holbox”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Holbox Island
Holbox Hotel Mawimbi
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Holbox Island
Reviewed February 17, 2010

I stayed at Mawimbi for three nights around 10th February and I wish I stayed there longer. Mawimbi features the best location in Holbox: a quiet area just a few minutes walk from the village with its restaurant and shops; the best stretch of beach in the area (with highest concentration of palm trees), always kept immaculate.
The hotels is run by lovely Ornella (his housband was away when I stayed there) and her very friendly and helpful team, they made me feel very welcome since the first moment I arrived.
The hotel is furnished with taste and attention to detail. I stayed in the "habitacion pulpo" (room octopus), which maybe could have been a bit bigger but felt perfectly fine for a short stay, if I went back I would probably choose a bigger one with kitchenette.
Breakfast was very good and reasonably priced, drinks were very good and even if slightly more expensive than in other places was worth enjoying the lovely beach bar.
I can only recommend Mawimbi as guarantees a perfect combination of friendly and efficient service with stylish decor and top beach location.
ENJOY IT! Maurizio

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
4  Thank MaritzDK

Reviewed January 5, 2010

We were staying for one Christmas week in Mawimbi.
We had a bungalow with kitchen, renovated with balcony. It was very nice and clean.
Beach is the best; Weather was little bit windy but no rain. Ornello is the best , very caring and
paying attention to the guests. Bar was good. It was relaxing and pleasant. Down Town few steps away
with a few good restaurants. I would like to come back for wale shark watching. Thank you to Ornella and her staff.
Tatiana

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank tat160usa
Reviewed December 21, 2009

This is a beautifully decorated hotel, the owner and staff are super friendly and the beach looks fantastic. I can't find fault with it really. The rooms are perhaps slightly on the small side, but still pretty good for the price (we were in a standard room with balcony). Casa las Tortugas is right next door and looks so similar I thought it was the same hotel when we first arrived. So if you if there's no room at Mawimbi I would recommend trying that. The water here was very calm compared to Tulum where we had just been, which would probably suit you if you have small children. For us, it didn't really feel as fresh to swim in but looks amazing. So if you're mostly into lounging on the beach, walking, taking trips to see the wildlife, experiencing the vibe of a mexican fishing village etc I would recommend Holbox, but I wouldn't recommend it for a long beach holiday personally. Mawimbi is a great place to stay though, and we were really pleased to have booked it.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MimiH77
Reviewed November 7, 2009

My wife and I just got back from our second Mawimbi/Holbox trip this year.. Why - a few simple reasons really, 1) we have not found a better "off the grid" place, 2) you will not find a cleaner or nicer place than Mawimbi, 3) its very inexpensive all the way from the great prices for a room to eating lobster for about 25 bucks US and it's FRESH. As the title states the owners keep doing the right thing and on this trip we found they have more than doubled their beach area plus they are adding 4 hanging beds, more lounge chairs and additional palm tree's - pic's attached. We missed out a new Italian restaurant that a friend of Carmelo and Onny's is opening - in fact it was opening tonight.. Places to eat that we give top ratings are Zarabanda, Edelyn's, La Isla del Colibri are 4 stars and Los Pelicanos, Parrilla De Juan, Cine Luputia ( new for a few weeks) are 5 star,,, Of course this is relative to the island but the funny thing is that you could take Los Pelicanos and drop it in down town Dallas and it would be just as big of a star there. I suspect there will be another 5 star with their friend as we all know that Italians always have a great flair for good food! Now for the other key food stop .. You have to buy some Pollo (chicken) from the guy that has his grill on the side of the street - it is about a block down from La Isla del Colibri as you head away from the town square towards the ferry landing side of town,, It is the best chicken my wife and I have ever tasted, hands down! I tried to get the recipe but of course its a family secret. As far as tours Mawimbi can cover most any of them for you right there - in fact there is no one on the island more qualified to take you on the Whale Shark tour than Carmelo as he was the guy that really put is on the map in Holbox in the late 90's. Another suggestion would be to rent a 4 wheeler and head to the north end of the island toward Mosquito point or head to the south end where you end up in a little lagoon with good jack fishing or like everywhere else, lots of shallows to just hunt for interesting "critters".... There are several nice places to stay on the island but I don't think you can find this combination of nice and clean with such friendly owners and staff, all at one location! One other thing to consider is about the island itself - This island will not be the same 10 years from now... it is probably where Playa del Carmen was 15 or 20 years ago, or so I have been told..... Don't wait too long travel friends....

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Rob H
Reviewed September 22, 2009

We stayed at the Mawimbi for four nights at the end of August, paying around 100 USD a night. Our main reason for going to Isla Holbox was to see the whale sharks (we have dived and snorkelled all over the world without seeing a whale shark before). We left very happy.

The island: Is gorgeous, probably the most beautiful place we have ever stayed (with the possible exception of the Yasawa Islands, Fiji). White sand beaches and "warm bath" blue/green sea. No cars allowed on the island, just white sandy tracks and golf carts (hired with or without driver), so the overall feel is very laid back. Fresh breeze blowing most of the time that keeps it from getting too hot and keeps the sailors & kite surfers happy. No coral near the island, so don't stay here if snorkelling directly from the hotel is a must-have.

The hotel: has about 10 rooms, ours was called "Crab" and was on the upper level with a balcony facing the sea over the bar. The balcony had a small table + 2 chairs, + 2 large hammocks for relaxing in. The room had A/C, a comfortable double bed and en-suite bathroom with decent shower. We booked it directly through www.mawimbi.net. The room was cleaned thoroughly daily, which was needed because we kept traipsing white sand back in with us - oops!

Outside the hotel has a lovely bar area overlooking the beach and then a variety of quality sunbeds and hammocks going down to the sea. No four poster beds on the beach though (unlike the next door hotel!). The bar wasn't too expensive for hotels, a can of cold coke cost 15 pesos (around 75 english pennies). I know that's expensive for Mexico, but hey we went to New York next so that helped keep things in perspective :-) The hotel staff were always friendly and happy (and tolerant of our faltering attempts at spanish, but we ended up speaking English nearly everywhere).

Wildlife: Unlike some of the reviews we read we didn't have a problem with mosquitoes at all (and they normally do go for us). Not sure if we were just lucky with the time of year, or whether there's been some effort to reduce their numbers. We did see lots of pink flamingos, pelicans, eagles, frigate birds and iguanas in our wanders around the island, and nothing dangerous.

Whale shark trips: Before we went we exchanged e-mails with Mabel from the Mawimbi about the trip options and also contacted Willy's tours. Mabel told us the whale sharks had moved away this year, so they were only running a more expensive tour (140 USD each - eek). Willy's were still running tours for 80 USD. We left it until we got there to decide and talked to some people coming off the previous Mawimbi tour. They has seen over a hundred whale sharks, whereas Willy's tour only saw a few, so we picked Mawimbi's tour. This isn't meant to deprecate Willy's tours, Mawimbi has just acquired a faster and larger boat, so they had a greater range and were able to take us the 100 miles or so to the main whale shark congregation point. As it happens, in 2009 the whale sharks had congregated mostly near Isla Mujeres instead of Holbox, unlike previous years. In "normal years" I'm sure Willy's tours would see many more.

The tour itself was an absolutely awesome day. We saw and swam with hundreds of whale sharks, cruising all around the boats like big buses. The ones we saw were up to about 8 metres long, but in theory they can grow to nearly twice that. They stayed near the surface with their mouths open and move at around swimming pace, so you can keep up with them. We also saw dolphins, flamingos and (on the snorkelling trip on the way back) barracuda and many reef fishes.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ForeignGold
Reviewed August 14, 2009

We stayed for 5 nights and we were very happy with the hotel. While we understand what another traveler said about some guests getting more attention, we were happy to be left alone and the staff was always helpful when asking for tips, etc. The only downside were the hard beds.

The location is great and the beach is great as well. Cleanliness was evident each day- both on the beach and in our rooms. The rooms, while small, were perfect for a couple and very authentic in its feel and structure. The bathroom was spacious and the shower could fit two people. Not a fan of the toilet and not flushing paper down but I'm guessing its part of the ways of water for the Island.

We had the balcony room- loved the hammocks and table and chair- we spent a lot of time out there. Air conditioning worked well- I wouldn't recommend getting a room without air as the heat can be stifling at times.

The bartenders make great drinks and while pricey, they are worth it. The food was nothing to rave about- go in town and get empandas for lunch, try the Italian place for great seafood, and there is a great, authentic Mexican place for nachos, burritos, etc. that cannot be missed. Don't forget the desert sold on the streets- it has nutella and leche- awesome!

We also had a great time on the whale shark tour with Alex- he was the best!

This island is not for everyone nor is the hotel, but it was perfect for us.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank oojaded26
Reviewed August 12, 2009

This was my first trip to Holbox Island and I was a little afraid I would be able to stay an entire 7 days in this location plus had some anxiety about just getting there. When we arrived at the Hotel Mawimbi, I immediately knew that I had not only made the right choice of hotel but that I would have no problem staying even longer. The atmosphere was authentic and very clean. (they even hang the sheets outside to dry). Anytime we needed information there was somebody to help us. The beach in front of the Mawimbi was better than any other hotel on the island. The staff, especially Ornella and Mabel were awesome. The food was great and truly, you didn't need to leave the hotel - except for the whale shark tour, which was incredible - thanks to Alex, the tour guide. All of the other guests were nice, in fact we made some new friends. I appreciated the details that the owners used for designing the hotel, large shells for lighting fixtures. The walkj to town is only a couple blocks but the hotel itself is secluded. I will be going back to Holbox and wouln't think twice about staying anywhere else

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple