“Had a wonderful stay”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Holbox Island
Holbox Hotel Mawimbi
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Holbox Island
Ajax, Canada
“Had a wonderful stay”
Reviewed March 18, 2014

My wife and I spent a week at Mawimbi in March 2014 and it did not disappoint. After doing AI's for a while we were looking for somewhere different (Holbox) and a hotel where we could totally relax and Mawimbi delivered. It was peaceful, quiet with a good bar/restaurant that we had breakfast and lunch at most days ( I personally enjoyed the fish taco's on a few occasions). You will not find the spring break crowd there, and there is no morning rush to secure chairs in a good spot as they are all good and there are plenty. There is no nightly entertainment so the property is nice and quiet at night, perfect for a bottle of wine on the room patio. We did that most nights and just played some music from Songza on our iPad. If eating/drinking at the hotel you can run a tab at the bar and pay upon checkout so no need to keep peso's on you while on the property. Rooms are basic and clean with ensuite washrooms, no in room amenities such as TV, phone, coffee maker but there is good Wi-Fi around the bar area. Housekeeping did a good job as well and all the staff were friendly and helpful. We arranged our transfers to/from Cancun through the hotel and the process was seamless and effortless both ways.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good, some a bit larger than others. Two have kitchenettes but these have no view...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
9 Thank novak500

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Kenai
Reviewed March 15, 2014

This is a small, authentic, family owned hotel. Rooms are a little small but have a king sized bed that is the most comfortable I've found in our many trips to mexico. Maids do a great job, very clean. Bugs are a problem in Holbox and I did get some bites while sleeping; however, we were in and out to the nice, private, balcony each room has and its impossible to keep mosquitos out. I brought my own shampoo and conditioner so the hotel only gave us one set..this led to my husband using mine and me running out... Our room had a hair dryer but no coffee maker (we brought our own). They open for breakfast at 7:30... we get up at 5am, so in room coffee is important to us. The location is fantastic..a two minute walk outside the town square, gorgeous beach but no waiter service. No problem, you walk over and order and they'll bring it out to you. Never had any problem getting a nice spot-really nice beach beds. Internet service was spotty and a little aggravating...but this is a sleepy little island with sand roads. It would have been nice to have TV service, especially for the weather channel... and since the internet was slow, but we didn't miss it that much. Nice towels and linens..after a week they brought us new beach towels...we could have gone to the lobby I suppose. New bath towels every few days... The rooms in the main hotel are all upstairs, they have louvers on the upper half of the door..make sure you close these because you can hear everything. The maids open them every day...probably to air the room. All the rooms open onto a small circular area..so privacy could be an issue. Nice library to borrow books...nice decor throughout. Food was good but they were out of something we tried to order every day (but not rum!). Its hard to maintain a good selection of fresh ingredients in a small hotel/restaurant, but I would rather see a smaller menu than be told something is not available every day. One day, I tried to order coconut shrimp and I was told they needed 3 hour notice.. there are other shrimp dishes on the menu (shrimp pasta is great) so I couldn't understand this. The included breakfast is REALLY good. Lots of fruit-kiwi, banana, melon, pineapple... Toast from fresh baked bread.. homemade jelly, generous servings!
All in all, I would stay at Mawimbi again...rooms are a little small but it is priced accordingly. The location is fantastic... Nice, very relaxing stay. Owners are unobtrusive and friendly, staff are nice.

Room Tip: Palm trees block the ocean view from the ocean front rooms. The oceanfront bungalows have a better v...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Colleenfromalaska
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Could not be better.We had the best vacation and this hotel is so amazing. The staff are so nice .The grounds are the best on the island .The rooms are a dream.Food is really good.We loved Holbox island.

Room Tip: all great rooms
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank sflovetotravel
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Second time at Mawimbi Hotel and still the best on the Island. for us. Nice environment, clean inside and outside, nice friendly staff and owners.The best location on the beach for sure with yhe best sunchairs and beds.
We will for sure be back at our paradise island.

• Stayed February 2014
6 Thank JillHallenskiold
Ontario
Reviewed February 17, 2014

The Posada Mawimbi offers their guests a great location and is most definitely a charming little hotel. The staff work so well together to make your stay one of total relaxation. Smiling and happy to help. Jeevyl was very helpful to us and great to talk with about the area. The hotel has small well decorated rooms that offer everything you need to enjoy your stay in Holbox. Some rooms are kitchen supplied but getting meat on the island is not easy. We saw none and were told that there is suppliers who sell to the hotels so don't plan on cooking meals in if you expect to have steak dinner. There was no meat to buy in the stores other than processed lunch meats. The walk to town to eat is a short distance away or you can eat right there at the Barquita Restaurant. Restaurants are plenty and very good in Holbox. The beach is well tended to and other hotel guests came and used the beach at Mawimbi (for a fee) to sit on the beach or eat at the restaurant. The owners are on site and available if you needed or there was someone at the front desk to help. We had excellent internet access from our room. The wifi was strong but sometimes flickered on and off but signed right back on within seconds. The owners have four dogs who greet you and yet are not underfoot. Bring them dog snacks and you will be accompanied all day! There is no hair dryer so bring your own and the shampoo, conditioner and soap provided are all quality products that we enjoyed using. Bug spray is a necessity for not only the tiny mosquitoes but for the "no see'ems" and we were protected having sprayed ourselves every day and evening. We did see others who were covered in bug bites. There is a basket in the restaurant with bug spray and sunscreen left by other guests. We left behind our spray for others to finish. Mawimbi arranged our transfer to and from Cancun and the drive was interesting and efficient. Learning to speak some basic Spanish here is recommended although there is lots of English spoken. There are travelers here from all over the world and we heard different languages daily. The hotel also arranged for us to go out on a boat tour, fishing and to the cenote and bird island. They also supplied us with an alarm clock and box lunch to take when we had to leave early in the morning. They think of everything when you yourself may have forgotten. Our driver back to Cancun told us that Mawimbi is always filled and one can see why. It is a sweet spot in a wonderful location and highly recommended. Thank you Mawimbi for making our vacation one to remember. We will be back!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
12 Thank Sun4usOntario
New Hampshire
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Isla Holbox and Posada Mawimbi are both a winner in our eyes. The staff is wonderful and Onny is a delight. The facilities are perfect for a relaxing vacation. Everyone had smiles on their faces which makes a pleasant environment for all. The beach is great for LONG walks and shelling.

Stayed January 2014
3 Thank ach03853
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Reviewed February 13, 2014

I had heard good things about Isla Holbox from friends in Mexico and from reading various travel articles, so I wanted to check it out while staying a month in Cancun. I made arrangements at the last minute to spend a weekend there, without having a lot of time to research what I'd be getting into. I used TripAdvisor to recommend places and came upon Posada Mawimbi and just trusted the system and called and made reservations.
Well, what a find! I'm one of those who typically hesitates to recommend things too highly for fear that everyone else will hear about the great secret, but in this case, it's just difficult enough to reach Holbox that it should remain unspoiled by mass tourism for a while to come. But if you're reading this, you've already heard about it, so COME! Run, don't walk!

It is the antithesis of the big resort haven of Cancun. I heard it called "like Isla Mujeres 40 years ago". No paved streets. No cars, just golf carts for transport. At most only around 250 hotel rooms on the whole island, not that I was counting, so not too many tourists. And I was there in November so maybe 100 other tourists in the place, and most of them European.
The weather while I was there was just fine, sunny and warm, not too hot, but just the day before I arrived they had had one of those heaven-opening heavy downpours, and so just about all the dirt streets had enormous puddles (more like little lakes) running throughout. The "taxi" drivers just waded their golf carts right through them, and I was hoping that our waves wouldn't get nearby pedestrians' feet wet! Yikes! But the not-ideal conditions seemed to make the place even more endearing and adventurous. The residents seemed to definitely take it in stride.
One other factor from being there in November is the sea grass that continually washes up. It isn't so perfect to have to either wade through or step over a strip of black and icky sea grass on the beach, and everyone assured me that it only happens that time of year when "cold" fronts come through and whip up the sea water and dislodge the grass. To me, the worst it did was to keep my beach and water photos from being completely spectacular--maybe I'll need to Photoshop that strip out of them! Otherwise, it's a challenge to come up with enough names for all the colors of blue and green that the water is, along with the interplay of the white sand. Just truly spectacular. And they say that this Gulf of Mexico side's water isn't as clear as in the Caribbean around the corner, but having grown up along the same Gulf coast in Texas, I'm just not going to complain! Port Aransas could just never compare to this!

All the main hotels and inns on the island are located right along the main long beach--some of them are right in the little town, and others are strung along down the beach for about two kilometers. Posada Mawimbi is the last one in town on the way down the beach, and has the double advantage of only having a neighboring hotel on one side, and being one of the few hotels between the road and the beach. On down the way, most of the other hotels lie a ways off the beach, with the little road (ok, dirt golf cart path) in between you and the beach. At Mawimbi, you roll out of bed, take a few steps, and there's the beach! Just a couple of palm trees in your way. So, just from a geographic perspective, Mawimbi has the greatest advantages.

There are only a couple of main buildings that make up this small resort. The building where my room was in is a remarkably cool round shape, like a wagon wheel. You enter the wheel on one side and are presented with five doors all side by side. If you imagine going to the center of the wheel, the rooms are arranged in triangles from the center to the outside as if in between imaginary spokes of the wheel. So each room is narrow at the entrance but widens as you get away from the door. This allows for a nice but cozy main room, a nice bathroom to one side, and the piece de resistance is the balcony (at least on the second floor) that wraps all the way around the building, giving each room a private hammock and small table and chairs to lounge in outside. Because it was rainy season, natural insect repellent was a must out there, at least at dusk and after dark. I lazed away quite a few hours out there!

The room itself was simple, very clean, a nice size for one or two people, and nicely decorated. There was both a ceiling fan and an air conditioner. My air conditioner actually worked a bit too well--I wasn't able to adjust the thermostat to any level above about 72 degrees Fahrenheit, and so it was too much of a contrast between there and the outside, so I wound up just using the ceiling fan and was fine.
The bathroom was again simple but just fine. The water pressure, normally a bugaboo for Americans in Mexico, was perfectly fine. The doors to the hallway have little slats to help cross breezes, but I closed them to keep out noise from the neighbors. I'm a light sleeper, so the ceiling fan made just enough white noise for me.

The resort has two Internet routers that cover just about the entire property. I was able to get a weak signal in my room, but for anything heavy-use. It was actually a better signal on my balcony coming from the restaurant router nearby, so it was hardly suffering having to use my laptop outside on the balcony! I'm blaming thick concrete walls for the signal strength issue.

One note to remember, speaking of laptops, the electrical outlets in my room, and I suppose in all the rooms, only have two sockets, so if you have any apparatus with a three-pronged plug, be sure to also pack a two-to-three-prong converter. My laptop has a long battery so I wasn't too worried for just a two-night weekend, but I asked at the front desk and they let me borrow one of their converters for a few hours to fuel back up. Also remember to pack a flashlight/torch in case you are out walking on the beach or elsewhere at night.

The restaurant was lovely--outdoors on the beach. The several servers who worked throughout the weekend were unfailingly nice and helpful and on top of things. The food was imaginative but not too far out there--emphasizing seafood of course. Very tasty. I wound up eating there both my nights since I hadn't heeded the advice above and forgot to pack a flashlight. I decided that I didn't want to be wandering about in the dark with all the puddles, even though there was almost a full moon to light the way.

Speaking of la bella luna, it's been a really long time since I've run across a place that's more romantic than Mawimbi. There were numerous couples there, again lots of Europeans, many on their honeymoons. Boy do they have good taste! Really relaxing, not too much to do, so not too much temptation to do any more than just lie around and soak up the amazingly relaxing atmosphere and enjoy being with your partner. Although normally I'm perfectly happy being single, I was surely missing not having a partner to enjoy it with there! Highly recommended for romance!
Mawimbi staff, everyone I came into contact with, was wonderfully warm and welcoming and very professional, even while being really relaxed and informal. They were doing some palapa maintenance one afternoon, I suppose following up after the gully-washer, and although it made a temporary mess on the normally well-raked sand, it was remarkably unobtrusive. They were also doing their level best to keep the sand swept off the steps and upstairs hallways, but let's just face it that it's an impossible task. Little rugs at the entrance of each room pretty much do the trick, but I'd actually suggest little trays of water to rinse your feet in as you hit the top of the steps. Speaking of the steps, they even did us a favor and put a little shelf for guests to leave books behind. I have to say that I'd never seen Tom Clancy in Swedish before--very cool but hard to read!

BOTTOM LINE: Posada Mawimbi does deserve its high ranking here on TripAdvisor. It's a good value for the price, and they know what they're doing. Holbox itself is a gem truly worth exploring and discovering for yourself, and bring a special friend!

Room Tip: FABULOUS balcony on the second floor
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo